testtest

My XDS45 Mod2 Issue

GeorgeD

Operator
I have a newer XDS45 / 3.3 Mod 2 and it seems to be having some feeding issues that I'm not sure is magazine or ammo. I'm shooting white box Winchester (I know, but it was a deal) and it seems to be on maybe the third round, I get a misfeed. I've tried three magazine to try to isolate if this is a magazine issue. I take a misfed round, insert it in a different magazine and it cycles fine. Then that mag may misfeed when reloaded.

I have an XD45 that cycles the ammo just fine with no misfeeds - even some of the rounds that misfed.

I'm not sure if the mags are out of shape. They're all new OEM mags.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated (other than buy a Glock, if thats what you fangirls have to say)

Generally, I'm anal about clean and oil after range time. Not crazy. Try to rack them once a week if not being shot frequently and a few drops if dry.

I was almost thinking about a quick wipe of oil on the mag springs
If you oil the mag springs make sure you wipe them dry again after. Oil attracts dirt. It could be ammo, but I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of WWB 230 gr. out of all my .45s, including an XD Mod 2 4" service model and never had a problem.

DId this gun previously run without misfeeds ? If so, I say magazines. If not may be that something is wrong with the gun. There's only about 5 or 6 spots on that gun that get a drop of oil. ONE drop of oil. You could put a little grease on the rails. And I mean a little.

My guess is magazines though.

If you oil the mag springs make sure you wipe them dry again after. Oil attracts dirt. It could be ammo, but I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of WWB 230 gr. out of all my .45s, including an XD Mod 2 4" service model and never had a problem.

DId this gun previously run without misfeeds ? If so, I say magazines. If not may be that something is wrong with the gun. There's only about 5 or 6 spots on that gun that get a drop of oil. ONE drop of oil. You could put a little grease on the rails. And I mean a little.

My guess is magazines though.
Only four drops of oil ever. And a drop in the mag release mechanism after douching it out. That always collect grit - even worse on my XD Tac.

It ran fine before which is why I leaning towards maybe a bad batch of rounds from a new box? I'm checking lot numbers to see if this is the only one I have. I've oiled my AR mags in the past after some sketchy ammo that blew crap all over the place.

If this doesn't fix it, it may be going in for some love.

Only four drops of oil ever. And a drop in the mag release mechanism after douching it out. That always collect grit - even worse on my XD Tac.

It ran fine before which is why I leaning towards maybe a bad batch of rounds from a new box? I'm checking lot numbers to see if this is the only one I have. I've oiled my AR mags in the past after some sketchy ammo that blew crap all over the place.

If this doesn't fix it, it may be going in for some love.

Get some different ammo and try that. If that don't work, buy a brand new magazine. If that don't work, then you may have bigger problems.

I clean my magazines regularly, but I never oil the springs. I wipe them with a micro fiber cloth.

Get some different ammo and try that. If that don't work, buy a brand new magazine. If that don't work, then you may have bigger problems.

I clean my magazines regularly, but I never oil the springs. I wipe them with a micro fiber cloth.
All the mags are new OEM. Thats why I may reach out to SA to query them. I have 5 mags for this little pecker head. One on board, two extra to carry but those are loaded with hollow points. The WWB are 230 gr FMJ's that I just shoot at the range for me and the gun - usually keeps us both happy.

I have an XDs .45 mod 1 . I have put many rounds of WWB through it as well as several other brands. I do have a question for you. Does your XDs run the HP rounds ok and through the same mags you are using for the WWB?

The only time I have had any trouble with my XDs is when the slide was a little dry.

I'm just really baffled. Wondering if something with the new box of Winchester that started the problem, if it wasn't for my XD45 Tactical just eating these like M&M's without a hitch
There could easily be nothing “wrong” with the ammo, in that it meets Winchester's specs just fine..and there’s nothing wrong with your XDS or mags, either…just a little tolerance stacking.

Which is why your other XD ate it just fine.

Again, I’d just try a different brand of ammo, and I bet it runs fine.

I don’t know how long or how much you’ve shot it but I have an XDS 45 that I bought from my neighbor. First round of the first mag I tried failed to chamber. Guessing that’s why he wanted to sell it. After that it ran fine. I don’t know how much he shot it but it couldn’t have been much because he didn’t own it long. I think it just needed a little exercise. Unlike everyone else, I oil the bejesus out of mine. Set them up to let the excess run off, then wipe it down but I may hang it up and not shoot that specific gun for 4 or 5 months. It’s generally ready to go when I do because it’s never had an issue since and I’ve run the cheapest Armscor ammo available through it.

@GeorgeD
Guns can be finicky things, some shoot everything flawlessly and others don’t like some ammunition. I’ve shot thousands of white box 40SW through my XD Mod2 sub compact without issues, in fact everything I load into it’s mags it eats. Another fact is all my Springfield firearms (handguns) have run flawlessly.
On the lubrication discussion I use more then just a few drops, my guns don’t drip oil but are well lubed.
Since every gun is different how you hold them when shooting them has slight variations as well the XDs being smaller then the gun being compared to, is your hand/fingers contacting the slide during shooting? Are you not occasionally holding the gun firmly enough to allow the recoil to work properly?
To many times the gun/ammunition or mags are blamed when it’s the shooter.
Just another view on the discussion.

@GeorgeD
Guns can be finicky things, some shoot everything flawlessly and others don’t like some ammunition. I’ve shot thousands of white box 40SW through my XD Mod2 sub compact without issues, in fact everything I load into it’s mags it eats. Another fact is all my Springfield firearms (handguns) have run flawlessly.
On the lubrication discussion I use more then just a few drops, my guns don’t drip oil but are well lubed.
Since every gun is different how you hold them when shooting them has slight variations as well the XDs being smaller then the gun being compared to, is your hand/fingers contacting the slide during shooting? Are you not occasionally holding the gun firmly enough to allow the recoil to work properly?
To many times the gun/ammunition or mags are blamed when it’s the shooter.
Just another view on the discussion.
How about we assume that of the 7 handguns I own, this is the only one that I have an issue with and go from there.

- Recoil / ejection - no issue.
- No hands on slide or mag release.
- Mag is seated tightly when loaded. The floorplate band around the bottom of the mag is not preventing the mag from being inserted all the way in. My XD45 TAC 5" needs a good whap to get the mags to seat. That being said, great shooter.
- My Canik, H&K, S&W, Walthers have never had problems with misfeeds and run flawlessly.
- The gun is well oiled. Slide, spring, barrel, mag release all get cleaned and oiled and wiped down when they seep

Why I'm inclined to think mag is same ammo runs in my other SA 45 fine.
Spring, follower hanging?
Taking mags apart today to check them for burrs and stretching the springs

I don’t know how long or how much you’ve shot it but I have an XDS 45 that I bought from my neighbor. First round of the first mag I tried failed to chamber. Guessing that’s why he wanted to sell it. After that it ran fine. I don’t know how much he shot it but it couldn’t have been much because he didn’t own it long. I think it just needed a little exercise. Unlike everyone else, I oil the bejesus out of mine. Set them up to let the excess run off, then wipe it down but I may hang it up and not shoot that specific gun for 4 or 5 months. It’s generally ready to go when I do because it’s never had an issue since and I’ve run the cheapest Armscor ammo available through it.
I tend to view this as a combat tool. It's not a bench rest / gun rest shot gun. This is for EDC. I take it out with enough frequency to run it to be sure all is well. I run it hard / failure drill it to be sure it meets it's expectation and have run a variety of ammo thru it - hollow points, +P, FMJ's at the range and it's handled them well in the past. This is a new wrinkle for this gun.

I tend to view this as a combat tool. It's not a bench rest / gun rest shot gun. This is for EDC. I take it out with enough frequency to run it to be sure all is well. I run it hard / failure drill it to be sure it meets it's expectation and have run a variety of ammo thru it - hollow points, +P, FMJ's at the range and it's handled them well in the past. This is a new wrinkle for this gun.
I have like 50 handguns so my time with each gun is spread around quite a bit more between guns. If it has been running fine and been under heavy use, it could be a number of things, including the mags. One thing that comes to mind is the recoil spring. While I have never had to replace a worn out spring, others have. It would be especially concerning after running much +P through it. If your recoil spring doesn't have enough umph to strip and chamber a round, all your mags may act unreliable. Might just be worth a call to Springfield and see what they recommend.

Last edited:
I have like 50 handguns so my time with each gun is spread around quite a bit more between guns. If it has been running fine and been under heavy use, it could be a number of things, including the mags. One thing that comes to mind is the recoil spring. While I have never had to replace a worn out spring, others have. It would be especially concerning after running much +P through it. If your recoil spring doesn't have enough umph to strip and chamber a round, all your mags may act unreliable. Might just be worth a call to Springfield and see what they recommend.
Replace every 5000 rounds.

Hahaha.
I thought of that as a possible, but lack of umpf isn't it's issue. I bounce shells of the ceiling of the covered range station and get hit in the head with them. It will launch shells two stations away. I have to be careful and usually hang a net between me and shooters on the right of me

Back