testtest

New 1911 operator

PacNWvike

Master Class
Well started paperwork on the new 1911 operator and couldn’t be more excited. Now about 10 days until I get it thanks to the states policy.

Anyways I’ve been wanting a Springfield operator a long time and had my sights set on the RO version but discontinued and couldn’t find one. So I was absolutely thrilled to see an offering for this one in black cerakote, and got it for under 1k.

I know everyone complains about no front strap checking but this doesn’t bother me much and can fix it with a 7 dollar part from talon using the pro grip, should match black cerakote fine will post pics later. Every one complains but I haven’t hear a potential solution that Springfield could done to get front strap checkering on gun with out raising MSRP.

I do have thoughts on what Springfield could of done to address this while keeping msrp down. One is drop the front cocking serrations, the vickers tactical doesn’t have them either. Two instead of doing custom checking on the MSH, use standard checking similar to aftermarket MSH and like my RO compact has. Since as soon as the grips are changed, seems most people do that, it would no longer match anyways. Then use a standard checking patter on the front strap to match MSH. While I’m not sure how this would change the overall value I assume it wouldn’t be much since custom checkering seems expensive. This would of further differentiated the “new” operator from previous operator models and current the loaded operator models, outside of the obvious sights, making it more of a new style offering. Thinking like a more budget friendly version of the vickers, which is on my list of maybe someday I will own one but likely never gonna happen.

I mean I bought one and clearly these pistols are selling so I guess Springfield did it right after all. I’m just glad I finally got my hands on an operator model from Springfield especially at the price.

Well started paperwork on the new 1911 operator and couldn’t be more excited. Now about 10 days until I get it thanks to the states policy.

Anyways I’ve been wanting a Springfield operator a long time and had my sights set on the RO version but discontinued and couldn’t find one. So I was absolutely thrilled to see an offering for this one in black cerakote, and got it for under 1k.

I know everyone complains about no front strap checking but this doesn’t bother me much and can fix it with a 7 dollar part from talon using the pro grip, should match black cerakote fine will post pics later. Every one complains but I haven’t hear a potential solution that Springfield could done to get front strap checkering on gun with out raising MSRP.

I do have thoughts on what Springfield could of done to address this while keeping msrp down. One is drop the front cocking serrations, the vickers tactical doesn’t have them either. Two instead of doing custom checking on the MSH, use standard checking similar to aftermarket MSH and like my RO compact has. Since as soon as the grips are changed, seems most people do that, it would no longer match anyways. Then use a standard checking patter on the front strap to match MSH. While I’m not sure how this would change the overall value I assume it wouldn’t be much since custom checkering seems expensive. This would of further differentiated the “new” operator from previous operator models and current the loaded operator models, outside of the obvious sights, making it more of a new style offering. Thinking like a more budget friendly version of the vickers, which is on my list of maybe someday I will own one but likely never gonna happen.

I mean I bought one and clearly these pistols are selling so I guess Springfield did it right after all. I’m just glad I finally got my hands on an operator model from Springfield especially at the price.
first, welcome to the site

second, congrats on the new purchase

third, in my state it is an 8 day wait period, BUT if a person has a ccw permit/license?

no waiting, in/out the store in like 10-20 minutes

Ours used to be like that but no more. Also no centralized system yet, so every background check for handguns go through local departments. Some are better then others.

congrats on emissary, i was looking at those at well but just above what I was willing to fork over at this by that I mean what my wife was willing to let me fork over lol. The tri-cut slide is nice, and I agree two tone is generally not what I gravitate towards but that one does look good.

So, to address a few of your points—

No money would be saved by deleting the FCS; they share that pattern with several other models, which means they use the same slides. Additionally, it’s probably a selling point; many people who want a “tactical” 1911 will want the FCS.

Okay broke it down and cleaned it. I should be able to shoot some steel this weekend. I did pull out the Lyman digital gauge and the trigger on the operator is measure at 5 and half pounds. This is a bit heavier than I would like it, since my RO compact and xdm with PRP both measure at 4 and half pounds. I was hoping that is where this one would clock in, I assume some do so if you buy one your mileage may vary. The trigger is still fantastic just a tad heavy. Once I shoot it I will know more, but right now even though a little heavier then what I would like no plan to change it

Well 80 rounds of ball ammo and a couple mags of hallow
Points no issues. Shot like a Springfield 1911, amazing. My only complaint is my ammo costs are going up because I am going to be doing a lot more shooting. Used the stock mags and 3 Wilson combat 47D mags not even a hiccup. The trigger didn’t really both me at all once I got going. Was shooting steel so will go to range and see what I can group at.

Interesting thing happened. After shooting, I dried fired a couple times and I thought “this feels lighter”. Sure enough I was right, Lyman digital scale now has between 4lbs 10 ounces and 4 lbs 14 ounces. It was consistently 5 and half pounds before and I tested my RO compact at the same time which measured at 4 and half pounds consistently. So it wasn’t the scale. It measured the same again. I didn’t think 1911 triggers needed a break in, but I do know shooting does polish things up a bit especially on a factory new gun. Wasn’t expecting it to drop that much though. See what happens at 500 rounds. Not saying this is the perfect gun, but so far I feel like it was the perfect gun for me lol.

Back