testtest

New Carry pickup - S&W CSX 9mm

Bragah

Elite
I've been looking for a new carry for a bit, but for some reason only just came across the S&W CSX a few days ago, which seemed to tick all the boxes I had for myself.

What I liked:
- All aluminum frame and slide. Only polymer on it are the grip modules, of which you get two sizes in the box.
- Single action, skeletonized hammer, 1911 style ambi-safety controls
- Short, crisp trigger - very little creep.
- Surprisingly slim and small - my Walther CCP looks huge next to it.
- 12+1 capacity with included extended mag - the CCP is 8+1
- No hard edges - clearly every bit of it was machined with carry in mind.
- Hard to see - but little flares on the back end of the slide that are incredibly easily to grasp and rack the slide with.
- Impressive fit and finish.

My local Range had it on the rental wall - rented it and was pleasantly surprised.
Extremely accurate and very linear, controllable and predictable recoil. Got back on target very quickly.

What I don't like:
- The silly little plastic gap filler piece they put on the extended mag. My goodness just make an extended baseplate and be done with it.
- 10 rd mag doesn't extend down enough and my pinkie kind of hangs there. Feels good in the hand with the extended 12rd mag though, so easily remedied.

Very impressed over all with it. Was really fun and easy to shoot at the range for how small and light it is!
12615-sw-OnWhite-Right__51927.1667396348.1280.1280.png

12615-sw-OnWhite-3Q-Right__13161.1667396348.1280.1280.png

I've been looking for a new carry for a bit, but for some reason only just came across the S&W CSX a few days ago, which seemed to tick all the boxes I had for myself.

What I liked:
- All aluminum frame and slide. Only polymer on it are the grip modules, of which you get two sizes in the box.
- Hard to see - but little flares on the back end of the slide that are incredibly easily to grasp and rack the slide with.

My local Range had it on the rental wall - rented it and was pleasantly surprised.
Extremely accurate and very linear, controllable and predictable recoil. Got back on target very quickly.

What I don't like:
- The silly little plastic gap filler piece they put on the extended mag. My goodness just make an extended baseplate and be done with it.
- 10 rd mag doesn't extend down enough and my pinkie kind of hangs there. Feels good in the hand with the extended 12rd mag though, so easily remedied.

Very impressed over all with it. Was really fun and easy to shoot at the range for how small and light it is!

Heard lots of good things on them, congrats!

Yup, I have one as well. Another complaint some also reported is the false trigger reset. You’ll hear the first click, but that’s not the reset. You need to release a bit more to reset. Most of those that complained like to ride the trigger for fast follow-ups. This really doesn’t bother me, so it’s no big deal in my opinion. I just completed a survey on S&W’s “Gun Cabinet” forum. It looks like they may potentially be coming out with new models (optics ready, longer barrels, different calibers, fix the trigger reset, etc.) My recommendation was to come out with one in 30SC (Super Carry). But when and if they will follow though on future plans, wasn’t committed to.

Hope it's a good 1! I like my 2 m&p's. 1.0 core 9mm 4.25" ported and bought a 5" complete slide to change back and forth, also have a 2.0 in 10mm 4". I've run 5 different brands of ammo thru it and all worked fine in the 9. Not much time with the 10 so far.

Yup, I have one as well. Another complaint some also reported is the false trigger reset. You’ll hear the first click, but that’s not the reset. You need to release a bit more to reset. Most of those that complained like to ride the trigger for fast follow-ups. This really doesn’t bother me, so it’s no big deal in my opinion. I just completed a survey on S&W’s “Gun Cabinet” forum. It looks like they may potentially be coming out with new models (optics ready, longer barrels, different calibers, fix the trigger reset, etc.) My recommendation was to come out with one in 30SC (Super Carry). But when and if they will follow though on future plans, wasn’t committed to.
Speaking of 30 super carry Brownells is selling the shield plus in 30 super carry right now for only $339.00

Yea I don’t even dwell on trigger reset, I was taught to let the trigger go all the way forward and then squeeze it again, I shot one and thought it was a nice gun, trigger and all.

Last edited:

What I liked:

What I don't like:

I bought a CSX last year after it first came out and I carry it in a pocket holster with a 10 round mag most of the time. When I bought it I was carrying an Sig 365 in a pocket holster, but liked the idea of a 1911 style pocket 9 mm and wanted to try the Smith.

Being retired law enforcement, I do alot of shooting close up, drawing and point shooting without sights. I always had to work extra hard with Sig 365 as I had a tendacy to shoot low without sights and had to compensate raising my grip. I found the CSX to be a more natural point for me as it was a lot easier to hit the center of the chest on the target.

The CSX has worked flawlessly, and for me with the larger grips that came with it, the grip for me reminds me of my Glock 26. I love the CSX especially carrying it cocked and lock, as the other firearm I carry when I feel like carrying a larger pistol, is a Ronin 45 with a 4.25 inch barrel.

I heard that too about the false trigger reset - but honestly I didn't have any issues and it didn't bother me one bit.

Good to know about what's coming up - I actually didn't really care for optic ready option as one of my biggest reasons for getting it was size.

BUT - if they came out with a 4.25 or 5" version? That might be a dang nice range shooter.

I bought a CSX last year after it first came out and I carry it in a pocket holster with a 10 round mag most of the time. When I bought it I was carrying an Sig 365 in a pocket holster, but liked the idea of a 1911 style pocket 9 mm and wanted to try the Smith.

Being retired law enforcement, I do alot of shooting close up, drawing and point shooting without sights. I always had to work extra hard with Sig 365 as I had a tendacy to shoot low without sights and had to compensate raising my grip. I found the CSX to be a more natural point for me as it was a lot easier to hit the center of the chest on the target.

The CSX has worked flawlessly, and for me with the larger grips that came with it, the grip for me reminds me of my Glock 26. I love the CSX especially carrying it cocked and lock, as the other firearm I carry when I feel like carrying a larger pistol, is a Ronin 45 with a 4.25 inch barrel.
Good to hear.

I felt the same way. It was just easier and more natural to shoot and found myself way more accurate with the CSX than other carry's I've tried.

Cocked and locked was a huge plus as well as the ability to cock it with the safety engaged.

Congrats! I handled one at a LGS and it felt Great! I just wish it was DA/SA.
Thanks - yea it does feel really well made and surprisingly comfortable to hold given the small size.

I heard rumors that S&W might be coming out with different versions of it soon, but can't confirm anything specific.
It's a real nice shooter though.

Thanks - yea it does feel really well made and surprisingly comfortable to hold given the small size.

I heard rumors that S&W might be coming out with different versions of it soon, but can't confirm anything specific.
It's a real nice shooter though.
Will keep an ear open for some news.

Back