testtest

New deer rifle

I just bought my FIRST rifle dedicated to putting food in the table. Savage Axis II in .350 legend. I was gonna pick between this and a 450 bushmaster and the 350 won out in large part to ammo costs.

Never learned how to shoot a bolt action so now I'm gonna learn. Gun should be here in a few days.

Anyone customize their bolt actions and want to show them off? Paint jobs, replaced stocks etc

Congrats on the rifle. I was never a bolt man myself, then I bought my Axis Hardwood in 243. I love that gun. Bought my little man a Savage Rascal in hardwood to match it.

Got two Ruger precision rifles now in 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 PRC. Those are pretty good all around bolt guns but for a very different purpose.

If you want to upgrade the stock, go with a Boyd’s stock. Purdy stocks. My Axis came with one from the factory. Traditional hunting rifle stock. I bought a Boyd’s At-One in Walnut for a 308. Nice stock. Rifle wasn’t worth a dang. I sold it shortly after but the stock was ok.

Top is the At-One Walnut, bottom is the traditional walnut stock.

9883CF5F-C212-4342-94AA-ADD443C466BC.jpeg

As for the trigger, if you have an Axis II it should have an AccuTrigger which should be adjustable down to like 2.5lbs. I wouldn’t try to replace it.

Congrats on the rifle. I was never a bolt man myself, then I bought my Axis Hardwood in 243. I love that gun. Bought my little man a Savage Rascal in hardwood to match it.

Got two Ruger precision rifles now in 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 PRC. Those are pretty good all around bolt guns but for a very different purpose.

If you want to upgrade the stock, go with a Boyd’s stock. Purdy stocks. My Axis came with one from the factory. Traditional hunting rifle stock. I bought a Boyd’s At-One in Walnut for a 308. Nice stock. Rifle wasn’t worth a dang. I sold it shortly after but the stock was ok.

Top is the At-One Walnut, bottom is the traditional walnut stock.

View attachment 26166

As for the trigger, if you have an Axis II it should have an AccuTrigger which should be adjustable down to like 2.5lbs. I wouldn’t try to replace it.
Hopefully the At-One you have was better prepped for action install. The stock is a beaut, but has done nothing on getting me happy. I've done some rattle can jobs with good results. No camo type, just solid or 2 tone colors. Gray, ODG and FDE. I have some other cans awaiting too be used.

I just bought my FIRST rifle dedicated to putting food in the table. Savage Axis II in .350 legend. I was gonna pick between this and a 450 bushmaster and the 350 won out in large part to ammo costs.

Never learned how to shoot a bolt action so now I'm gonna learn. Gun should be here in a few days.

Anyone customize their bolt actions and want to show them off? Paint jobs, replaced stocks etc
I am pretty sure my animal hunting is done but never know. I have owned some very good rifles the one that hurt the most was my 308 Norma magnum and my favorite was my Sako 25-06 Mannlicher and it became my primary rifle form from varmint hunting to all big game in the US.

The two top Rifle are a couple Sako's and have aftermarket McMillan stocks on them. Best and only thing I've ever done to the rifles with the exception of mounting the optics. I've never done any trigger mods to any of my firearms. Not that after market triggers are unesassary or anything. I've just never had a problem with any of my stock triggers. Although after market triggers on some of my guns would probably make them shoot a little better. Sako's don't need after market triggers in my opinion! Sako triggers are super smooth, crisp and fully adjustable! All just my opinion Shoot fun shoot safe and shoot straight!

Attachments

• IMG_20220312_145108118.jpg
    IMG_20220312_145108118.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I'm kind of a purest with field guns, nothing is nicer than a beautifully oiled dark wood stock..... just sayin'
Although I don't base the pleasure or performance of my firearms on their cosmetics. I agree on the beauty of a wood stock. Unfortunately, I beat the **** out of my hunting rifles and the coastal environment on Kodiak is harsh on firearms and their stocks. That's why I opted for fiberglass on all my bolt action hunting rifles. It's a performance reliability thing for me. Just my two cents bud. Shoot fun, shoot safe and shoot straight!

I have been contemplating on a Ruger bolt gun in 450 bushmaster for quite some time but haven’t bit on one yet. The 350 legend is an awesome round.
I'm not at familiar with the .350 Ledgend or the. 450 Bushmaster. Must be fairly new cartridges. At least to me anyways. The .350 looks like a great deer cartridge! Why the rebated rims instead of a standard rimless case? Are they usually chambered in auto loaders or something?

I'm not at familiar with the .350 Ledgend or the. 450 Bushmaster. Must be fairly new cartridges. At least to me anyways. The .350 looks like a great deer cartridge! Why the rebated rims instead of a standard rimless case. Are they usually chambered in auto loaders or something?
Both were designed to be shot from ARs but bolt guns were also built for them. 450 is a hammer but 350 has sub sonics that have the same weight as standard 450.
Both are newer cartridges gaining popularity where most deer seasons were based on shotguns (Midwest)

I know I'd read some subs for the 350 are around 255 grains with the average being around 180 I think.

Bushmaster seems to average around 250 and was the brain child of Jeff Cooper.

Last edited:
Back