testtest

New Gun Backorder - Fact or Fiction?

razor7

Alpha
Hello Group--

First time post here. I bought a XD9 9mm 5" tactical from a retailer near me in Santa Ana, CA USA. At the time I made the purchase, they were out of stock but said the special order would take up to one month.

Well, I am now close to two months, and when I contacted them for status, they said special orders for handguns are taking from 60 days to 6 months!

So, is that because Springfields are on back-order, or is something else going on? Six months (hey, even two months) to buy a gun seems a little ridiculous to me.

--Stephen

Have you considered ordering from an online dealer? I've only one gun online and Buds Gun Shop had my order to my LGS in 10 days.

Well, he's in CA. I assume he has to have a "Kalifornia compliant" version. Christ knows how long it takes to get one of those.
This might very well be the answer, but you would think the buyer would have understood that. Anyone familiar enough with the XD9 9mm 5" to know if it is compliant? How about the mag?

I would say you have two choices, wait or see if you can get your money back and try another gun store, buying online living in California is most likely not an option as many California forum members have reported online sales of even ammunition is not happening. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Hello Group--

First time post here. I bought a XD9 9mm 5" tactical from a retailer near me in Santa Ana, CA USA. At the time I made the purchase, they were out of stock but said the special order would take up to one month.

Well, I am now close to two months, and when I contacted them for status, they said special orders for handguns are taking from 60 days to 6 months!

So, is that because Springfields are on back-order, or is something else going on? Six months (hey, even two months) to buy a gun seems a little ridiculous to me.

--Stephen

Something else is going on.

It's called unprecedented demand, and severe stock shortages of pretty much all handguns.

The fact that you are in California only makes it worse, as your pistols are a special model with reduced capacity magazines...basically a special order item.

Add in, if your retailer isn’t high on a distributors food chain...you’re likely going to be waiting a while.

Wow, great group. Lots of replies right away.

The gun I ordered is regularly stocked by the retailer but they were out of stock. The clip max is ten rounds and it is CA compliant.

This is my first time gun purchase so I can't buy online, but I wish. Not even ammo. Many gun manufacturers will not ship to CA because it is so over-regulated anyway.

I checked other retailers by me previously, and because of the high demand and low supply, they were trying to gouge on pricing, so no thanks.

The retailer I'm buying from, Ammo Bros. is fairly large out here, with multiple locations.
I just wondered if I was getting a straight story from them because, as I said in my OP, they first told me one month.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. It doesn't sound like I have any other options than getting my money back, choosing a different model or manufacturer that is in stock, or being patient and just waiting.

If it’s a price you’re happy with your only real option is to wait. Their timelines are not unreasonable given the circumstances. Otherwise, pay more for a faster (maybe) delivery.

It's more about supply and demand. CA (I know, unbelievable) has experienced a substantial increase in gun purchases.

I believe razor7 was referring to this vendor. It has about a half-dozen stores in So Cal. Its Santa Ana store is extremely popular. My guess is it has hundreds of names on dozens of waiting lists. My friend can't find a Springfield Armory TRP .45 ACP at any vendor including online vendors.

Online vendors have no Springfield Armory TRP's in stock. In fact, I couldn't find any SA 1911-A1 in stock at any online vendor.

Dramatic increases in gun purchases could be a foreboding indicator of Americans' plausible predictions.

There is a palpable sense of unease in America. However, I remain optimistic.

The gun I ordered is regularly stocked by the retailer but they were out of stock. The clip max is ten rounds and it is CA compliant.

This is my first time gun purchase so I can't buy online, but I wish. Not even ammo. Many gun manufacturers will not ship to CA because it is so over-regulated anyway.

I checked other retailers by me previously, and because of the high demand and low supply, they were trying to gouge on pricing, so no thanks.

The retailer I'm buying from, Ammo Bros. is fairly large out here, with multiple locations.
I just wondered if I was getting a straight story from them because, as I said in my OP, they first told me one month.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. It doesn't sound like I have any other options than getting my money back, choosing a different model or manufacturer that is in stock, or being patient and just waiting.

Not sure where in CA you are, or if you want it. However OC Guns in Lake forest is showing a 4inch barrel CA compliant XD 9mm full in stock.

not what you were wanting but give them a call. Their website is showing stock.

Not sure where in CA you are, or if you want it. However OC Guns in Lake forest is showing a 4inch barrel CA compliant XD 9mm full in stock.

interesting thread. Never heard of calguns.net. Apparently a CA marketplace. May be worth a look.

I appreciate it. OC Guns was one that was over-charging when I checked with them first. Ammo Bros has the 4" compact and 3" in stock but I like the feel and grip of the 5" in my hand much better.

Anyway, thanks.

I appreciate it. OC Guns was one that was over-charging when I checked with them first. Ammo Bros has the 4" compact and 3" in stock but I like the feel and grip of the 5" in my hand much better.

Anyway, thanks.

Yeah it’s tough when you are looking for a a rarity. That model you are looking for, XD9401, comes up a fair amount on a lot of sites but without stock. You may want to just check around every week or so. I had the same problem trying to find a kahr PM9 and it took several weeks and all of a sudden NC shop had it on their site. 3 days later it was in my hand.

Good luck

Unfortunately for you, right now is a seller's market - demand FAR overpowers supply. And, with things being shut down all over (mines, shipping, various processing plants, etc) due to these random Covid lockdowns (and they're starting up again....), there's really no way to predict how long something will take to arrive.

To answer your initial question? No, I don't think it's bogus. It's just...2020.

The XD9 5" tactical is somewhat a unicorn, it has not been on their website for quite some time. I think you will be waiting for quite some time for it. I believe the last time I saw it on the site was back in March.

Back