testtest

New gun decision

What are you using the weapon for? What caliber are you selecting? What grip angle do you prefer? How experienced of a shooter you are? How you will be carrying the weapon. Do you have a brand preference? Reliability and budget a big for me personally.

If it's EDC then reliability and effectiveness as rated by ME. In other words I did my research to my satisfaction.
Ended up with a Glock 32 cause I really like the 357SIG round. Glock fits me nice.
454 Casull cause I was told a little guy like me will get knocked over backwards and his wrist broken. I'm 5'10" @ 160. The Casull has gone very well. Lots of fun to shoot and reload. Even more fun to entice others to try it. Not really all as bad as I was told. Granddaughter shoots it too. She's smaller than me.
I love the challenge of getting a good price. Dealer had a used 10" Ruger Super BlackHawk for a certain price. Searching the net I got one NIB for $125 less. Wife now has her Wyatt Earp Buntline!
If it's something I think I'd enjoy shooting and loading I start the search. Once I find the low price leader I buy. Around
here there is even a $20 difference in transfer fees.

Springfield XD series is always a great start. I found an XD Mod 2 Subcompact 9mm with the Instant Gear Up Package for $510 at a local dealer. I should have that in hand by the first week of Feb. To me, the only better would be the Hellcat, but I have large hands and want a larger grip radius. Hence my choosing the Mod 2.

With my EDC, Home Defense and Hunting needs fulfilled, now I basically purchase firearms I've wanted in the past and was unable to buy for one reason or another and occasionally something will catch my eye.

Ignorance is a field less studied, but intelligence has been. Democraps blurt out what the don't understand and is trying their hardest to fill America with hate and misrepresentation of firearm facts, so they need too be criminally liable. Texas has 1 idiot named Beto, he needs to get deported.

Ignorance is a field less studied, but intelligence has been. Democraps blurt out what the don't understand and is trying their hardest to fill America with hate and misrepresentation of firearm facts, so they need too be criminally liable. Texas has 1 idiot named Beto, he needs to get deported.
I don't mind your rant but what does this have to do with this tread.

I spent a lot of time and money purchasing firearms without having a clear set of requirements in mind. I went from a full-size 1911 .45 to a compact 1911 .45 to a Ruger American Compact 9mm and test firing numerous others before finally deciding on a XD-S Mod.2 in 9mm as my EDC.

My new requirements in priority were:
Ammo (cost to own)
Weight
Concealability
Ergonomics (grip, trigger, grip angle, sights)

The XD-S checks all the blocks, and I have no regrets whatsoever. This is the perfect gun for me.

Most of the firearms I buy are purpose driven and meet a specific need that I have or want to be prepared for. Currently I have all the guns I want based on my personal needs and now I just buy what I feel would be fun/cool or if I stumble across a good deal. I'm currently looking at precision rifles and have had some great feed back from members on this forum (especially forum member: classified) so that will have an influence on what I get next with a combination of my own research.

Last edited:
When I decide to get a new gun, I usually do some research on it either in gun magazines or the innerweb, usually my purchase isn’t purpose driven, I got my CCW gun, after that, I just buy for fun or just something different. I have made a impulse decisions like on my Ruger Alaskan in .454.......fun gun though.....only made one bad judgment on a purchase, Kimber Micro 9, but I just wondered what others did on deciding on how they purchase there guns. TexasForLife, don’t worry about your reply as PeperGuy said it’s all cool, I understand your position.

I think purchasing a new gun is all based on ones personal preference. Some people have lot's of expendable income and can afford to purchase more guns than others. And may not have special purpose for each gun. And some people purchase weapons based on asthetics. It's Tact-a-cool. And likes to show it off but never shoots it. As well as we all know many guns will work fine in a controlled environment at the range. As every weapon has it's breaking point and will malfunction, it is in my humble opinion that I want one that will cycle any reputable ammunition you feed it, and work dirty, wet, and so on. There are a handful of manufacturer's that meet this criteria and stand out above the rest. That's what I base my decision on when purchasing a new gun.

When I want to buy a new one, I first decide how much I want to spend, next I decide what it will be used for and lastly I search the forums for members reviews.
I would tend to believe forum members over paid gun magazine journalists, members actually use their firearms.
I keep all my purchases and have never had buyers remorse.

Springfield XD series is always a great start. I found an XD Mod 2 Subcompact 9mm with the Instant Gear Up Package for $510 at a local dealer. I should have that in hand by the first week of Feb. To me, the only better would be the Hellcat, but I have large hands and want a larger grip radius. Hence my choosing the Mod 2.
Agreed Believer. I liked the the Gear Up promo so much, that in 2018 I bought their XD(M) 10mm, and XDs .45. I searched and searched for their XD.Mod2 .45 at about four local shops and couldn't find it. Promo ended 12/31/18 and around 12/15 I went to a hardware store in my state that was known to be a large gun dealer. They didn't have it there but claimed they could get it before the promo ended. on 12/28, it came in and I bought it. That year's promo, only gave you 3 extra mags and the range/pistol bag. I was always thinking "should I have gotten the XDe in .45 as well?" Not enough money then, but this year I see it with the promo of 5 additional mags, holster, bag and something else slipping my mind at the moment (besides the pistol that is), so I jumped on the .45 to complete the collection. :cool:

Back