testtest

New gun owner looking for advice

Cleaning kits, I have been using Otis for over 20yrs and I still carry the original pocket model as its always ready. To secure your weapon, I found a good pair of handcuffs works for car and home. Don't over think brand or type of bullets focus on placement because if you can't hit the target you lose.

There is a nice big can o worms in the home defense arena. Especially for a woman. At this point I would concentrate on your pistol and taking classes that are designed to prepare you ( as best as is possible) for using it in a defensive situation. Your instructor will be able to guide you with regards to ammo and other necessaries. Remember that just because someone with the exact same gun has great luck with, let's say, Federal HST 124 gr. 9MM ammo, that doesn't mean your gun will like it. You will have to shoot different kinds of defense loads to figure out what your gun likes best. Although I will say that Federal HST is a damn fine place to start.

As for home defense, there are possibly much better options as far as firearms are concerned ( hence the can of worms I mentioned earlier). Many people ( myself included) believe shotguns and even AR-15s are a better choice for home defense. Of course that depends on your personal situation. Do you have kids at home or other people living in your house? How close are you to your neighbors houses ? In any case you need to develop a plan of action in the event there is ever a home invasion or other situation in your home which would require deadly force. A real good starting place for that is to designate a safe room, where you can barricade yourself and your family behind cover and where the only place a threat can advance on you is from the front. In the event of a home invasion, retreat to that room with your kids, a phone and a weapon. Call 911 and remain calm and ready to defend yourself if you have to. Like I said, can of worms.

Do find a good instructor and solicit him for advice with regards to your concerns.
I don't have kids, just me, my husband and a cat. We live on an acre surrounded by mature trees. One visible neighbor by a fence to the side. The lots are 3-5 acres around us. We are off the main road on a small access road. I do feel uneasy when I am at home alone, hence why I chose to get a gun. I don't think it is an unsafe area and odds are high I will never have to defend myself but...the world is changing and I prefer to be prepared. Believe me, it has not been a light or impulsive decision to buy a gun and I am trying to do it the right way. I took safety classes over several years and have shot a lot of guns at the range in the classes and with friends to pick a gun that works well for me as a starting point. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me and I am committed to put time, money and effort in being a proficient and responsible gun owner. The house split story, is very open, lots of windows, deck goes to second floor. I actually do not have a room without a window, except a small closet downstairs...and the cell phone doesn't work well in the house, for sure not in the closet. I can't think how to barricade myself in a room, unless it's a room with a window...

Can you clarify what you mean by what ammo my gun will like? How do I judge that? So far each person I spoke with seems to have different preferences in band and type but I am not getting a clear explanation as why...

I intend to use it for home defense. The immediate goal is to become comfortable and safe with it. Not planning to conceal carry for now. I have taken several safety classes in last few years and plan to get a few hours of private instruction also.
You have taken the first and most important step, that being, exercising your 2nd Amendment right to bear arms. You seem to have a well thought out plan covering safety and proficiency and the knowledge you'll gain is invaluable. When it comes to equipment its pretty basic and you seem to have that covered with the exception of a range bag. When it comes to accessories now your in a brand new ballpark. That is a path you will have to forge on your own because everyone is different. If I may use an analogy, it is kinda like buying a car. Some will settle for nothing but the beast with all the bells and whistles when others just want the stripped down basic version but most want something in between. It's not a one size fits all. The best part of this forum is that once you decide that you want X you can ask about X and the users here can help you narrow down the choices by related their experiences with X (X being the accessory you are interested in). Welcome...

I don't have kids, just me, my husband and a cat. We live on an acre surrounded by mature trees. One visible neighbor by a fence to the side. The lots are 3-5 acres around us. We are off the main road on a small access road. I do feel uneasy when I am at home alone, hence why I chose to get a gun. I don't think it is an unsafe area and odds are high I will never have to defend myself but...the world is changing and I prefer to be prepared. Believe me, it has not been a light or impulsive decision to buy a gun and I am trying to do it the right way. I took safety classes over several years and have shot a lot of guns at the range in the classes and with friends to pick a gun that works well for me as a starting point. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me and I am committed to put time, money and effort in being a proficient and responsible gun owner. The house split story, is very open, lots of windows, deck goes to second floor. I actually do not have a room without a window, except a small closet downstairs...and the cell phone doesn't work well in the house, for sure not in the closet. I can't think how to barricade myself in a room, unless it's a room with a window...

Can you clarify what you mean by what ammo my gun will like? How do I judge that? So far each person I spoke with seems to have different preferences in band and type but I am not getting a clear explanation as why...
A room on the second floor would work. By barricade I just mean put yourself somewhere you won't immediately be seen when the door gets kicked open. On the floor with your bed between you and the bedroom door, etc. I don't think too many home invasions involve ladders through second story windows. You can position yourself so that the direction you would be shooting at a home invader ( assumably the door to the bedroom you are calling your safe room) is not a direction where if you miss the threat, the bullet might travel through walls and into a neighbors house. Have a landline phone in the room. First order of business, dial 911, tell the operator you have a problem, give the address and don't hang up. The main idea is that searching through your house for a home invader takes away your advantage and puts you in more danger than just hiding in a room where there is only one feasible way in, while you cover that door with your weapon.

Most guns, especially 1911s, have types or brands of ammo they don't like. That is they will jam on feeding or ejecting. You should find a brand/type of ammo that your gun performs well with, doesn't jam and shoots accurately with. Then stick with it.

what we mean by "what ammo your gun will like", is that some guns just do not shoot some ammo brands very well. it can be a "trial and error" ordeal, to find the ammo that YOUR gun loves and loves to shoot.

many brands like Fiocchi, S&B, Lawman, Federal, Winchester, are name brand ammo companies, to only name those few.

you may have to buy one box, preferably FMJ (full metal jacket) and try it.

as for self defense (when that time comes) you would buy Hollow points (HP). but this is not always any special rule, to follow, for self defense. it's just that HP ammo is "safer" if i can use that word, to not over penetrant the thug, and go someplace else, like into a person standing near. or out your window, across the street, and then hit someone else.

what we mean by "what ammo your gun will like", is that some guns just do not shoot some ammo brands very well. it can be a "trial and error" ordeal, to find the ammo that YOUR gun loves and loves to shoot.

many brands like Fiocchi, S&B, Lawman, Federal, Winchester, are name brand ammo companies, to only name those few.

you may have to buy one box, preferably FMJ (full metal jacket) and try it.

as for self defense (when that time comes) you would buy Hollow points (HP). but this is not always any special rule, to follow, for self defense. it's just that HP ammo is "safer" if i can use that word, to not over penetrant the thug, and go someplace else, like into a person standing near. or out your window, across the street, and then hit someone else.
Hollow points also expand, creating a larger wound channel and increasing the odds of stopping the threat more quickly.

also, depending on your stature, frame, size, personal strengths, many people choose a .380 gun or even a .38 special revolver.

both have "lesser" recoil, than some of the larger caliber guns, and many times, easier to carry/hide.

and YES, get some training at the local gun range. by a Certified NRA or USCCA instructor.

I agree. I would never have recommended that gun as a first choice for a SD weapon, especially for a beginner, but it's what she has and I would suggest running 500-1000 rounds through it as well as testing out SD ammo before completely relying on it for SD. 1911s are notoriously finicky and there are more than a fair share of people having issues with these particular guns. She will need to be trained and practiced on clearing stoppages.
Let me add a piece of info that may shed light on my choice of gun. I had a very bad experience with a gun as a teenager - I am from Romania, when I went to college it was mandatory enrolment in the army for one year, which included mostly monthly classes and taking apart a rifle and putting it together etc. We had to shoot it in a field range once, 3 bullets, while laying down and leaning the gun on sand bags. No training in how to hold it or proper positioning, no ear protection or eye protection. People in Romania do not own guns like here and we don't have public shooting ranges. It was in summer, we were wearing thin Army uniforms, no padding on shoulder. That day most students they brought in were from colleges with high proportion of women. There was a lot of noise, smell of gun powder, military guys with stars on their shoulder, way too much testosterone and little regard for women (it's a cultural thing) annoyed they had to be there, yelling at us to shoot and do it fast because they had to get the day done. Safety was loose by comparison with what we do here. I shot the first bullet and the recoil of the gun hit me really hard (clearly I did not know how to hold it). I shot the other two through tears, not seeing the target while I was being screamed at to finish the rounds. At the end of the day I had a cracked clavicle and the arm in a sling for several weeks and a severe fear of guns. I was 19.
So...that's what I had to overcome and I did it here with gradual exposure and classes. First gun class I took, I shot one 22 bullet and the old fear rushed back (I swear my shoulder burned!) and paralyzed me. I put the gun down and backed away, thinking I can't do it. I had an amazing woman instructor that figured out fast how to help me and 5 hours later I was able to shoot any of the guns they had in the class, up to 357 magnum. Can't say I enjoyed it, but I did the class and 2 years later I took it again and did not freeze.

This gun may not be best for SD but my goal was to find a gun that has less recoil, fits well in my hand and I enjoy shooting so I have an incentive to practice. After trying A LOT of guns in various calibers (probably a good 30 in 9mm), this was the one that fit my criteria best for my current goals. Does it mean it will me my last gun or that it is ideal for SD? Probably not...but it's a start... and I do like this gun!

to @Luminita200 , there is a wealth of information overload for you to digest.

all we can do in the best way possible is to inform, and maybe direct you as what to do.

ask questions, many here have decades of experience, and many others here are still new, but have acquired great wisdom from those here that share thier experiences.

the shooting sport can be a GREAT sport/hobby, for you, but you need to apply yourself to be a proficient shooter, at the range and god forbid, in a self/home defense situation.

try not to be someone that i ACTUALLY KNOW, who went out with her husband, they both bought handguns, and put them in the closet, from day 1....and sold them to me, 3-4 months later, never out of the boxes.

keeping the gun in the closet, collecting dust, will not protect you.

practice, practice, practice....learn to take it apart, clean and lube it

and practice some more, at least once per week.

i was VERY apprehensive of getting my carry permit as well. but in time and with lots of practice, i gained confidence in my ability to shoot, and shoot well, many of my targets are on this site.

i later obtained my carry permit, and i carry with confidence in my ability, but still hope, that i never have to draw my weapon, but i will, when i have to.

As others have said, certain weapons like certain brands of ammo, but most "quality" ammo is usually proficient. The grain will determine how much punch it has and conversely the recoil associated with it. They also have +p which has even more power and usually a bit more recoil. Different ammo's need to be fired to find what you are comfortable with. There is also the issue of FMJ (full metal jacket) versus hollow point and other projectile configurations. FMJ will most likely travel completely through your target. Where this could come into play is if god forbid you have to fire at a bad guy it could completely go through and strike innocents behind them or if fired in a home through many walls but it is also the most economical for range use. Hollow points expand, make it less likely to go completely through and the expansion causes more damage resulting more stopping power. I use FMJ for practice only, some like to intermix some FMJ with their personal defense loads in case the bad guy is wearing heavy clothing or whatever. Only thing to remember there is once you find what you are comfortable with then buy quality ammo and if you use different configuration for your defense loads and your range ammo match the grain of your practice ammo to that of your defense loads so that you are experiencing the same recoil and such if you need to fire for protection.
The last thing is to the certain brands, if you use a certain brand of ammo and experience multiple misfires or jams then just don't continue using that brand. It is anything but easy peezy...

1645376012569.jpeg

Have to watch those cats………😬😬😬😬

Welcome to the forum and gun ownership!
The people here are very informative (and fun). They offer great advice and tricks of the trade. I am relatively new as well. Just over a year now and really enjoy shooting both pistols and rifles.
These guys have covered the new ownership questions pretty well. I will add two things:
1. Get to know the range officers at your range and don’t be afraid to ask them questions! They are full of knowledge and are more than willing to help.
2. Get to know the other people are you range. You will meet some of the nicest people around from all walks of life.
3. Dry fire (no ammo anywhere near you!). This is helpful in learning about trigger pull, grip, stance, just anout all the basics. It also get the gun in your hand so you become familiar with it, which will help overcome any uneasiness you may have. It is also fun and a cheap way to train. I use a laser cartridge that is loaded into the gun that emits a laser flash when the striker hits the rear of the cartridge. I use a Pink Rhino cartridge (Amazon, $40) with an app on my phone, Laser Hit. The app tracks the laser hits against a target on your wall.
NO AMMO ANYWHERE NEAR YOU WHEN YOU DRY FIRE. Very important.

Let me add a piece of info that may shed light on my choice of gun. I had a very bad experience with a gun as a teenager - I am from Romania, when I went to college it was mandatory enrolment in the army for one year, which included mostly monthly classes and taking apart a rifle and putting it together etc. We had to shoot it in a field range once, 3 bullets, while laying down and leaning the gun on sand bags. No training in how to hold it or proper positioning, no ear protection or eye protection. People in Romania do not own guns like here and we don't have public shooting ranges. It was in summer, we were wearing thin Army uniforms, no padding on shoulder. That day most students they brought in were from colleges with high proportion of women. There was a lot of noise, smell of gun powder, military guys with stars on their shoulder, way too much testosterone and little regard for women (it's a cultural thing) annoyed they had to be there, yelling at us to shoot and do it fast because they had to get the day done. Safety was loose by comparison with what we do here. I shot the first bullet and the recoil of the gun hit me really hard (clearly I did not know how to hold it). I shot the other two through tears, not seeing the target while I was being screamed at to finish the rounds. At the end of the day I had a cracked clavicle and the arm in a sling for several weeks and a severe fear of guns. I was 19.
So...that's what I had to overcome and I did it here with gradual exposure and classes. First gun class I took, I shot one 22 bullet and the old fear rushed back (I swear my shoulder burned!) and paralyzed me. I put the gun down and backed away, thinking I can't do it. I had an amazing woman instructor that figured out fast how to help me and 5 hours later I was able to shoot any of the guns they had in the class, up to 357 magnum. Can't say I enjoyed it, but I did the class and 2 years later I took it again and did not freeze.

This gun may not be best for SD but my goal was to find a gun that has less recoil, fits well in my hand and I enjoy shooting so I have an incentive to practice. After trying A LOT of guns in various calibers (probably a good 30 in 9mm), this was the one that fit my criteria best for my current goals. Does it mean it will me my last gun or that it is ideal for SD? Probably not...but it's a start... and I do like this gun!
I am sorry you had such a terrible first experience with guns. It sounds like you made great progress working with the right people.
The more you handle and ahoot your gun any anxiety will slip away. Some find that simply handling the gun, dry firing, disassembling, cleaning and re-assembling helps simply by reinforcing the fact that the gun is merely a tool, a machine that YOU control. You’ll do great! You’re here asking the right questions and getting a lot of good information.

I am a beginner gun owner - I finally purchased my first gun in December, a 1911 Springfield Ronin 9mm. I am now trying to figure out what accessories it need and where to get them... I have good ear protection and basic eye protection. From my readings looks like I need some kind of range bag (something not too big, I only have one gun and I am a small woman), a magazine loader, a spare magazine... I browsed on Google and came up overwhelmed by choices and not knowing what to pick....I would love some help and advice, please!
Welcome aboard!

I am a beginner gun owner - I finally purchased my first gun in December, a 1911 Springfield Ronin 9mm. I am now trying to figure out what accessories it need and where to get them... I have good ear protection and basic eye protection. From my readings looks like I need some kind of range bag (something not too big, I only have one gun and I am a small woman), a magazine loader, a spare magazine... I browsed on Google and came up overwhelmed by choices and not knowing what to pick....I would love some help and advice, please!
I was nervous when I first started carrying too. Wear it around the house in baby steps.

Start with it empty. If you're comfortable, add a loaded magazine. When you're comfortable with that, chamber a round.

Now start carrying it with the magazine inserted but the chamber empty on short trips in public (only if you can legally do this) concealed.

Does your clothing, assuming you're carrying on your body and not in your purse, bag or undergarments, show that you have a gun? Look in the mirror.

If you're interested there are purses that are specifically for concealed carriers designed by women for that very purpose. My girlfriend has one and it came with a generic holster.

Good to see that you found a Springfield Ronin in 9mm.
Which one did you buy? 5", 4.25", 4" or 3"?

I prefer a plain range bag, nothing that indicates a firearm is inside.

I carry my pistols to the range in a duffel bag, I have another bag for my ammo, and ear protection etc.
I also take a silicone cloth with me to wipe off the gun(s) after firing.

You should consider using the NRA Marksman Program Pistol Qualification as a plan for your shooting sessions.

PISTOL QUALIFICATION

You might also see if the range you shoot at offers any instruction.
Many have courses specifically for women.

You can look for courses here:

Pistol Courses

Some courses are available online-
ONLINE TRAINING COURSES
I got the 4.25in one. Thank you for the links, very useful.

Attachments

• 16453784533298395913104813494504.jpg
    16453784533298395913104813494504.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
Welcome from CA (Central Alabama) -- Love your Ronin -- mine is in .45 and a fine piece of machinery. Can't add too much to the previous entries. Enjoy your pistol, trust your pistol and practice with your pistol. No, you don't have to put a 50 round box down range, just one or two magazines once a week or so will keep you going. What you are looking for is muscle memory. That is, when the SHTF, you do what you know you need to do without thinking. Folks here who have put rounds down range know their firearms and know the four basic rules and follow them.

If you don't have a license now, get one. You don't have to use it, but -- what if? Depending on your state (you didn't tell where you live) there are different rules to follow. GENERALLY, no firearms are allowed inside of a Federal building, school, hospitals so check your laws before you try to carry there.

Again, welcome

I got the 4.25in one. Thank you for the links, very useful.
It was not my intention to scare you off 1911s or make them suspect to you. They are the oldest continually manufactured handgun for a reason. The design is amazing and they are among my favorite handguns. They are however not all created equally and most of them are not custom grade right out of the box. Almost all of them, even the cheap ones ( which yours is not) can be made to run reliably. They do have their idiosyncrasies though and along with breaking them in with ammo and insuring they run reliably with that ammo, there are other considerations when using them for self defense that are not considerations on some of the more modern, striker fired handguns.

That said, a nice piece of cold steel is hard to beat with a plastic gun. And they are a platform ripe for modding. Better and lighter triggers right out of the box, plus those can always be worked up to be absolutely match grade. Different springs, guide rods, etc. can improve performance. A lot of the work that can be done to a 1911 requires gunsmithing skills though, whereas most of what can be done to a polymer, striker gun can be done fairly easily by the consumer.

It's not a bad gun to have as a first or only gun, but it is one that usually requires more thought, training and care and maintenance than something like a Glock.

You are on the right track though and there are a lot of 1911 guys around here and a lot of very knowledgeable folks who are eager to help you out.

Back