testtest

New Handgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new Springfield XD and read the manual but my questions were not answered. I have been told that a new handgun should be oiled before using yet the range owner said it was not necessary or needed as the gun is ready to go. True or ...? Also, for dry fire is it best to use snap caps or snap magazines, if available?

I just purchased a new Springfield XD and read the manual but my questions were not answered. I have been told that a new handgun should be oiled before using yet the range owner said it was not necessary or needed as the gun is ready to go. True or ...? Also, for dry fire is it best to use snap caps or snap magazines, if available?
First off congrats on the new pistol and welcome to the most entertaining gun forum on the internet.

The best advice would be to read the owners manual before using. I personally breakdown and clean my new toys before their first outing but that's just me.

To keep this simple Springfield recommends the use of snap caps if you will be doing a lot of dry firing. There are aftermarket upgradable striker retainer pins online you can buy and install so dry firing won't be an issue if you wanted that option and these can be found with a simple Google search.

Last edited:
First off congrats on the new pistol and welcome to the most entertaining gun forum on the internet.

The best advice would be to read the owners manual before using. I personally breakdown and clean my new toys before their first outing but that's just me.

To keep this simple Springfield recommends the use of snap caps if you will be doing a lot of dry firing. There are aftermarket upgradable striker retainer pins online you can buy and install so dry firing won't be an issue if you wanted that option.
Thank you for your prompt reply and the information given. Not only is this a new handgun but my first as well. I don't think I particularly want to start modifying my handgun but will definitely purchase the snap caps. I do want to become as proficient as possible so dry firing will be a regular activity. I have already taken a handgun course so I am somewhat familiar with the 9mm. Again, thank you.

Thank you for your prompt reply and the information given. Not only is this a new handgun but my first as well. I don't think I particularly want to start modifying my handgun but will definitely purchase the snap caps. I do want to become as proficient as possible so dry firing will be a regular activity. I have already taken a handgun course so I am somewhat familiar with the 9mm. Again, thank you.
Glad I could be of assistance! 😁👍

It's probably not a wise idea to modify a new gun if you want to retain the warranty as some mods can void them.

Hopefully you'll be able to find some 9mm ammo to practice with as the Covid situation has caused a shortage so what's available is almost 3 times the cost of ammo pre-Covid.

The "chicken Farmer" is right (if you explore the forum, you'll see why we call him the "Chicken Farmer" :D Hint: read the "Picking up Chicks" thread he started ;)).
I've had gun dealers/salesperson, tell me everything to 1). "you don't need to clean it, it's ready to go", 2) "you just need to run a bore snake through it first, then you can shoot it", to 3) "you should clean it before shooting it".
I always clean my guns before firing for the first time. After reading the manual, I follow the instructions to disassemble/reassemble the firearm (sometimes additionally watching uTube videos especially for my old WWII rifles that I don't have a manual for). Breaking them down first allows me to see how they came from the factory, before I clean them. Some have a light film of oil (fine), some dry, almost all I get some residue on the patches I run through the barrel (probably from their test firing). I one time broke down my Stoeger semi-auto shotgun, and it was packed (and I mean packed) with grease, which I would have preferred not to shoot in that condition if I could prevent it. So I came to the decision, to always read the manuals before attempting to shoot it for the first time, and by disassembling/reassembling after cleaning, I received a better understanding on the operation of that firearm.
Like 10mmLife mentioned, welcome to the forum, congrats on the new firearm (I second your success in finding 9mm ammo), and much luck with your new firearm.

My original reply was kind of short and to the point, then BET7 chimed in with the best suggestion possible ............................
Always, always, always at the very least run a patch through the barrel. Any obstruction in the bbl can/probably will cause at least a moment of 'well awareness' if not sheer panic. Seriously ............................................................................................................

It won't be quite that bad, but a bbl obstruction, even just a heavy layer of grease/oil is not a good thing. Only takes a minute to run that patch through it and may save a lot of heart ache.

And of course ...... welcome to the forum. A bunch of really good and knowledgeable folks here, and one damned grouch.
(y) :):):)

Welcome to the forum...

As to cleaning...your XD was made in Croatia, and lubed heavily for the shipment, and possible long-term storage waiting sale (though not as big of an issue at this time)...and while your XD would likely run just fine...it's a good idea to break it down and clean it before the first range outing.

Break it down, clean the heavy shipping lube off it, and re-lube and assemble.

Last edited:
The "chicken Farmer" is right (if you explore the forum, you'll see why we call him the "Chicken Farmer" :D Hint: read the "Picking up Chicks" thread he started ;)).
I've had gun dealers/salesperson, tell me everything to 1). "you don't need to clean it, it's ready to go", 2) "you just need to run a bore snake through it first, then you can shoot it", to 3) "you should clean it before shooting it".
I always clean my guns before firing for the first time. After reading the manual, I follow the instructions to disassemble/reassemble the firearm (sometimes additionally watching uTube videos especially for my old WWII rifles that I don't have a manual for). Breaking them down first allows me to see how they came from the factory, before I clean them. Some have a light film of oil (fine), some dry, almost all I get some residue on the patches I run through the barrel (probably from their test firing). I one time broke down my Stoeger semi-auto shotgun, and it was packed (and I mean packed) with grease, which I would have preferred not to shoot in that condition if I could prevent it. So I came to the decision, to always read the manuals before attempting to shoot it for the first time, and by disassembling/reassembling after cleaning, I received a better understanding on the operation of that firearm.
Like 10mmLife mentioned, welcome to the forum, congrats on the new firearm (I second your success in finding 9mm ammo), and much luck with your new firearm.
1603762811544.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. The reason, imho, there’s such a disparity in opinions on this is simply the hazard tolerance of individuals and the collective knowledge of all handguns in general. There are many that hiccup greatly if not properly maintained before and after every range trip. Others are built to different tolerances that allow for more play. The risk of a stray machining debris is always a possibility in any mass produced firearm and reason enough to clean and lube. Otherwise, your new XD is a beast and easily capable of performing just fine, dirty as all get out. I shot the 3rd in my XD(x) family 1000 rounds before I cleaned it. Only the occasional bore snake and a few drops of oil. Wasn’t the greatest for the finish but she likes being hot and dirty.

Welcome, and congrats!

I always clean and lube before first firing. First, it allows familiarity with the firearm, and how it works. Knowledge is power. Second, it allows personal knowledge that everything is "OK" - you KNOW that it's clean; free of obstructions; not overly lubed (too much oil will attract dirt, and gum up); not overly dry (bad for obvious reasons); and not showing any signs of unusual wear from factory test-firing and/or shipping. You have hands on the moving parts, and will see/feel if something isn't up to spec; if clearances are off; if anything is loose, or binding. Lastly - it won't hurt anything! And, you'll grow to love the smell of Hoppe's oil!

Get yourself a nice "kit" - bore brush, rag/wadding assortment, Hoppe's oil, a toothbrush, a lint-free cotton cloth to put on the table and use as your cleaning surface, and a couple midsize lint-free rags to use to wipe. Spend free time stripping, cleaning, lubing, and reassembling. It's therapeutic, and it helps you get to know your firearm so if there ever ARE any issues, you'll be in tune with it and will catch it immediately.

Do all your cleaning on the front porch, surrounded by empty beer cans and whisky bottles, while having tourettes outbursts...and it'll keep ALL the kids off your lawn! :p

Seriously, though - have fun, stay sharp, respect the machine...and practice, practice, practice. Welcome to the family!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back