testtest

New Hellcat owner (well, almost)

Tom C

Alpha
Thanks for adding me....first time posting.

I'm in the process of ordering a Hellcat in FDE from Gunbuyer.com in Florida and arranging FFL transfer with my local dealer. I wanted a compact sized 9mm (I own a full frame H&K VP9) just for something a little different. I live in NJ which means no CCW (plus we have a 10rd mag limit) so a sub-compact makes no sense, right? But my local shop had a black Hellcat rental, so I fired 2 mags worth and I was surprised how light and balanced it was. I'm sure the mag extension giving my pinky something to grab made a difference. I really liked the gun. No new ones in stock though, and for whatever reason they are unable to special order.

Despite NJ's archaic firearms restrictions, I live in a pro-2A town, so my handgun purchase permit was approved within 7 working days. In many other areas here it can take months and months. Hopefully my Hellcat can ship to my dealer with the 11 & 13rd mags so they can pin them to 10rds. I've also ordered four 10 round mags from SA. Can't find 'em anywhere else.

I should be ready to roll by next week.

I'm in the process of ordering a Hellcat in FDE from Gunbuyer.com in Florida and arranging FFL transfer with my local dealer. I wanted a compact sized 9mm (I own a full frame H&K VP9) just for something a little different. I live in NJ which means no CCW (plus we have a 10rd mag limit) so a sub-compact makes no sense, right? But my local shop had a black Hellcat rental, so I fired 2 mags worth and I was surprised how light and balanced it was. I'm sure the mag extension giving my pinky something to grab made a difference. I really liked the gun. No new ones in stock though, and for whatever reason they are unable to special order.

Despite NJ's archaic firearms restrictions, I live in a pro-2A town, so my handgun purchase permit was approved within 7 working days. In many other areas here it can take months and months. Hopefully my Hellcat can ship to my dealer with the 11 & 13rd mags so they can pin them to 10rds. I've also ordered four 10 round mags from SA. Can't find 'em anywhere else.

Welcome, aboard! Please send us a range report.

Welcome Tom. I escaped NJ to Pennsylvania 4 decades ago. That after growing up in 3 different counties in Jersey. Good luck with your Hellcat when it arrives. I bought a non OSP version when they first came out, love how it shoots, and how quickly I can get back on target utilizing the U-Dot sights. It’s my current CCW, but of course I can carry with 11, 13 & 15 round mags over here ;).

Thanks. At my age (getting close to the 70 club) I'm here to stay. Guess I got the NJ life sentence. I'm getting the non-OSP model as well. I'm not an avid hobbyist...I spend a little time at the range but mostly on my friend's 15 acres shooting makeshift targets, but nothing real serious. Don't really want all the bells and whistles and I'd rather spend the extra money on ammo. That's why both my handguns are 9mm....cheaper that way. I rarely play with my Mini-14 anymore.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Scotus gets involved with states who limit mag capacities. They're sure to eventually hear the California "assault weapon" fiasco as well. Would love to see these issues resolved in my lifetime.

Thanks. At my age (getting close to the 70 club) I'm here to stay. Guess I got the NJ life sentence. I'm getting the non-OSP model as well. I'm not an avid hobbyist...I spend a little time at the range but mostly on my friend's 15 acres shooting makeshift targets, but nothing real serious. Don't really want all the bells and whistles and I'd rather spend the extra money on ammo. That's why both my handguns are 9mm....cheaper that way. I rarely play with my Mini-14 anymore.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Scotus gets involved with states who limit mag capacities. They're sure to eventually hear the California "assault weapon" fiasco as well. Would love to see these issues resolved in my lifetime.
Roger that Tom. Hopefully that will come to pass soon. I have friends in NJ that also are restricted with their firearms, and they’d love for that to happen as well.

Welcome to the forum! You wont regret the purchase.

Welcome Tom C , When you get the Hellcat enjoy it , It's a great little gun . I went with the Hellcat FDE OSP model and loved it, That made me get the Hellcat RDP version also . See at my age the bells and whistles are nice , The Hex Wasp red dot is amazing for shooting .

Surprised to learn there's a 2A sanctuary in NJ. I've heard NJ castle doctrine has duty to retreat.
I wouldn't call my town exactly a 2A sanctuary, but they do believe in the letter of the law which essentially in NJ is "shall issue in 30 days" (or legalese to that effect). Most of Jersey isn't so compliant. Getting through the paperwork process in this state is the first hurdle and some towns make you run an obstacle course before you even get to the first hurdle. My town cuts through the drama and does it's due diligence quickly and fairly.

But we're still a blue state. Mag restrictions and firearm travel restrictions exist. We must get a purchase permit for every handgun and only allowed to buy one per month....no restrictions on long guns though, not to mention having to listen to or read the excessive and annoying rhetoric and misinformation from liberal snowflakes. Not as bad as the People's Collective of California though.

Got the FDE Hellcat today. My FFL handled all the archaic NJ red tape so I spent 150 rounds in port #9 at the range. I recently bought 3 extra 10 round mags to supplement the 11 & 13 supplied mags which had to be modded to 10 rounds. Thank god for the Maglula speed loader.

Despite it's sub-compact size, it didn't take long to keep it pretty much under control with the majority of rounds at lower left of dead center but still center mass. Most of the shots were at 8 yards, slightly less accurate at 10 yards. I spend two mags worth on head shots at about 25 feet, all good. I wasted a whole mag shooting one-handed, pretty much missed the bad guy silhouette at over 30 feet almost every time. Definitely need to adjust my dominant right hand grip....holding it too tight I think.

I don't have a smart phone so no range or target pics. In retrospect I should have brought my VP9 and alternated for comparison...next time. Overall I like the Hellcat, especially it's light weight. In NJ I'll never be able to take advantage of it's size for it's intended carry purpose but it's a fun little gun.

Back