testtest

New Law in TX

Texas passed a new law on drunk driving. It goes into effect 9/1/2023.
A drunk driver causing death to someone with children who are under 18 years old will be held responsible for child support.
I think it's a good law.

Before I comment I want to make it clear that I have been absolutely absent from alcohol and drugs since December 14th of 1982. I don't really have a dog in this fight.

Except it punishes innocent members of the driver's family for something that they had nothing to do with.

If somebody's drunk enough to get behind the wheel of a car they're not going to be dissuaded by this law. That's already been proven by the number of drunk driving arrests that are made every year.

This is going to be another meaningless feel-good law that has no actual bearing on reality.

A drunk driver causing death to someone with children who are under 18 years old will be held responsible for child support.
I think it's a good law.

great idea. if the family loses a child due to the jerks that cannot drive sober, then hit them where it hurts and hit them hard.

great idea. if the family loses a child due to the jerks that cannot drive sober, then hit them where it hurts and hit them hard.
What about his own kids who are also doing without because he's paying child support to that family?

All you're doing is changing which children (who had nothing to do with it) are doing without

If you drink, don't drive. If you drive, don't drink. When I was in uniform, that was part of the safety briefing we received before each holiday weekend.

I put this into practice one night when the wife and I decided to have a drink after dinner. I told her the minute I have alcohol, I cannot drive the rest of the night, so I locked my keys in my truck and retrieved my vehicle the next morning.

When my daughter's were teenagers, I gave them the don't drink and drink talk. I told them if they need a ride, call me, regardless of the time.
They both called me exactly one time each and I picked them up.
Say what you want but neither one will drink and drive. Maybe I'm just lucky.
well i have 3 girls and 2 boys, all grown up, with kids of their own, a couple even have grandkids themselves as well.

i had the same ruling regarding drinking............call me, not IF you need a ride, but WHEN you need a ride.

thank God, they all followed MY rules.

I think it's a good law.

I do not think it’s a good law, at all.

And no, I’m not a fan of drunk drivers; I think that they actually get off lighter than they deserve in most cases.

But, why just them? How about kill anyone through negligence (which DD’ing is) and you need to support their families…so the companies that get employees killed by playing fast & loose with safety regs can be held accountable without the victims family needing to sue; or in a negligent shooting…texting while driving…I could go on, but you get the picture.

My son won the Mother's Against Drunkers award for 4 years in a row for issuing the most DUI citations for his department. Last week on his first day back on the road after being on light duty for several months due to shoulder surgery he stopped a person at 6:30 AM who blew a 1.3. Needless to say she went to jail. I don't drink any alcohol when I go out and don't drive if I have consumed any. I've seen enough videos from my son's dash cam to know I don't want to ever hear, "Sir, can you turn around and put your hands behind your back". Because that's how most of those DUI stops end!

If you drink, don't drive. If you drive, don't drink. When I was in uniform, that was part of the safety briefing we received before each holiday weekend.

I put this into practice one night when the wife and I decided to have a drink after dinner. I told her the minute I have alcohol, I cannot drive the rest of the night, so I locked my keys in my truck and retrieved my vehicle the next morning.
yep

imo drink or impaired driving should result in lifetime no DL..not the get pulled over and no DL and cops let you go ..
nope straight to jail
hard rock breaking time. i have zero sympathy for drunk drivers
i drink and never drive. period never ever. its not that hard to say..I cant drive right now.

then lets talk about insurance stop giving people tickets driving with no insurance..impound the vehicle until at least a 6 month policy is piad for in full and in place.
i am so tired of my rates going up because of insured motorists.. its an easy fix
impound the car, they can still work..

I think it's a good law.

This law, or the movement to get this law passed was started by the mother/ grandmother of a couple and their baby killed by a drunk driver. I was on the jury for that trial. Ironically it’s still not law here.

what is sickening to me is, my state recently had voted on many Bills.

one was to "go back" on a driving record for like 10 years.

some states, it's "lifetime" go back.

by going back more than this 5 years, (or lifetime) a drunk could be found getting arrested past that 5 year cut-off period, making more harder fines, or jail time an all too real possibility.

however, the lawmakers didn't even bring it up, but yet, they found it easy last year, to pass a magazine ban, cuz guns are more dangerous than drunks, that go thru a revolving door, and get back on the road, to only injure, maim, or kill again.

one guy was arrested and charged with drunk driving like at least 10 times. in the 5 year period.

God only knows how many times, previous to those

So in Texas you normally go to prison when you kill someone due to a DUI. Texas Prisons do not pay their inmates to work. How will they pay that child support? Most get a 10 year sentence
what is sickening to me is, my state recently had voted on many Bills.

one was to "go back" on a driving record for like 10 years.

some states, it's "lifetime" go back.

by going back more than this 5 years, (or lifetime) a drunk could be found getting arrested past that 5 year cut-off period, making more harder fines, or jail time an all too real possibility.

however, the lawmakers didn't even bring it up, but yet, they found it easy last year, to pass a magazine ban, cuz guns are more dangerous than drunks, that go thru a revolving door, and get back on the road, to only injure, maim, or kill again.

one guy was arrested and charged with drunk driving like at least 10 times. in the 5 year period.

God only knows how many times, previous to those
We must confiscate cars from those who don't drink to keep those who do from killing people. Sound familiar? :ROFLMAO:

So in Texas you normally go to prison when you kill someone due to a DUI. Texas Prisons do not pay their inmates to work. How will they pay that child support? Most get a 10 year sentence

We must confiscate cars from those who don't drink to keep those who do from killing people. Sound familiar? :ROFLMAO:

Well, in Missouri you can drink all day in a bar ( from 11 AM until 9 PM), leave the bar, drive 108 MPH down an empty highway and rear end a car in the slow lane with a couple and their baby in it setting that car on fire. And even though a local municipal cop was on the scene in less than a minute he is unable to extract any of the occupants ( not for lack of trying) and all 3 burn to death, then when state cops show up you blow a 2. something in the breathalyzer, then are transported to a hospital where the blood draw reveals a 1.9 something several hours later and due to the state cop being a rookie and making some minor mistakes and the fact that your daddy ( You are like 28 years old incidentally) spent at least 80 grand on a lawyer who specializes in DWI causing death and sex crimes and is the spitting image of that slimy lawyer you see in the movies, you are able to plant enough doubt ( even after 5 days of deliberation) that 2 of the 12 jurors are not willing to convict you of DWI with a possible sentence of 40 years and those same 2 jurors balk on even convicting you of negligent manslaughter ( 2nd degree) until one of the other jurors who we all know and love stands up and says, " This F'er is getting convicted of manslaughter or no one in this room is ever going back to work because we will sit here deadlocked until we grow old and die". And the jury will relent and eventually find you guilty of 3 counts of negligent homicide ( manslaughter 2) with a possible sentence of 12 years. And the judge, who is a fair guy and an excellent judge and who saw through Mr. Shyster, scumbag lawyer from the beginning, will have his hands tied, but he does end up sentencing you to 8 years. Which you will probably end up doing maybe 2 or 3. The down side for you is that you are a scrawny little, rich arrogant punk and will most likely end up getting raped in prison.

Meanwhile the grandmother who was watching the couple's 2 other young children for the night will end up having to raise them when she can barely afford to feed herself, triggering a movement to create a law forcing people who kill other people while driving drunk to pay support to the surviving children. This becomes law in several other states, but somehow is still not law here in Missouri. And even if it does become law that doesn't help this grandmother, but she will feel somewhat satisfied that this doesn't happen to someone else.

Or so I've heard.

Back