testtest

New Piece At Broad & Liberty: We Don’t Need Red Flag Laws – We Have The Tools In Place To Help The Mentally Ill And Protect People’s Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMSgtRod

Professional
Founding Member
This is just a taste of the text..... it can all be found by following the link provided.

Dr. John Lott has a piece at Broad & Liberty, a new opinion outlet in Philadelphia.

Everyone wants to stop dangerous people from getting guns. The hot new policy option before this committee is Red Flag laws, which take away the guns of people deemed dangerous to themselves or others. But there is a much more effective alternative already in place.
They are known as Baker Act statutes (Pennsylvania’s is called the “Mental Health Procedures Act”), and have been around since the early 1970s. They allow police, doctors and family members to have someone typically held in most states for a 72-hour mental health examination based upon a simple reasonableness test – little more than a guess or a hunch. The hold in Pennsylvania is up to 120 hours.
These laws focus on mental illness, and they require that the individual be evaluated by mental-health-care experts. If a person can’t afford a lawyer, a public defender is provided. While judges can involuntarily commit an individual they believe is a danger to themselves or others, there is a range of options they can take, with the threat that other options can be followed up with involuntary commitment.

For the whole article go here: https://crimeresearch.org/2019/10/n...-the-mentally-ill-and-protect-peoples-rights/

Thanks for the link.
The red flag law is an example of the anti gun politicians 'backdooring' policies to rid the country of guns. Instead of outright confiscation, they know will get push back. They introduce policies that tout 'public safety' which the spineless politicians pass so they can say they're helping the community.
Was going to say sleep at night, but im sure they sleep like babies

In my opinion, red flag laws are just a way states can confiscate your guns legally, in there opinion, without you having any say or anything. Does Australia start sounding familiar..........

Even though I live with my head buried in the sand (my wife has a different location) I find the Red Flag Law to be a total invasion on me. I can see this law being used against individuals due to personal issues with others. Very few people slip thru the cracks generally for one reason or another the enforcement community has failed to follow up. Red flags are only designed for a horrible call against your team by said teams coach. My neighbor doesn't need to decide my mental stability, IMO.

Even though I live with my head buried in the sand (my wife has a different location) I find the Red Flag Law to be a total invasion on me. I can see this law being used against individuals due to personal issues with others. Very few people slip thru the cracks generally for one reason or another the enforcement community has failed to follow up. Red flags are only designed for a horrible call against your team by said teams coach. My neighbor doesn't need to decide my mental stability, IMO.
and should your dog poop in his yard, he can have all your guns yanked with a snap of his fingers.

Pennsylvania already has a "Mental Health Procedures Act" law in place, and yet our current Governor in the great State of Pennsylvania, still wants to introduce and enact "Red Flag" laws. He's a Democrat, go figure :rolleyes:😒

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back