testtest

New S&W Shield Plus 13+1

S&W steps up to the plate...

Looks like 10+1 flush, 13+1 extended; knowing S&W, the Performance Center versions are coming soon, with optics capabilities.

Also—for people who want a .40 in this size package? This is what you’ll get it in...S&W has a stake in keeping the .40 going. I’d expect it in the next year or so; probably 8 round flush, 11 round extended.

Last edited:
Oh, wait—did I say the Performance Center version would be coming soon?

How soon is now?

59A7FD38-BBE5-4484-A6AF-7AE07FAE6E09.png

I received several S&W emails recently to register for their new product announcement on 3/15/21. Unfortunately I forgot/declined, since I was scheduled for my 1st Covid vaccine shot on this day. I figured it was just a matter of time before S&W got into the Sub/Micro compact extended capacity game to compete with Sig P365 and SA Hellcat. It makes sense it's done on the Shield line. As Hans has mentioned, looks like the Performance Center model(s) has the optic cut and hopefully they'll eventually offer this in all 3 calibers (9,40,45), as I own all three calibers in the PC V1 Shields. Just more guns to add to my wish list :unsure:. Thanks for posting Hans (@HansGruber), I was wondering this morning what S&W announcement that I missed.

I can definitely say the Shield series of handguns is very ergonomic. My .45 Shield is my go to EDC. It disappears well in a good holster, it's very ergonomic and for such a small .45ACP it's very accurate. My wife ditched her Ruger Security 9 for the Shield 9mm when it came out. I would definitely like to look into this new version of the Shield.

Just when I was getting ready to bite the bullet and get a Hellcat, this happens! I hope someone can do a side by side shooting comparison for this very soon. I'm not so sure that I want to wait very long, just because of possible changing gun laws and such. And right now the aftermarket is set up for the Hellcat. Might take awhile before the aftermarket catches up with the Smith & Wesson, assuming it might need some upgrades. Decisions, decisions!

Just when I was getting ready to bite the bullet and get a Hellcat, this happens! I hope someone can do a side by side shooting comparison for this very soon. I'm not so sure that I want to wait very long, just because of possible changing gun laws and such. And right now the aftermarket is set up for the Hellcat. Might take awhile before the aftermarket catches up with the Smith & Wesson, assuming it might need some upgrades. Decisions, decisions!
Just saw that PSA already has them for sale on their site, Not too bad of price to be honest. I figured they'd be a bit more expensive.

Actually, the aftermarket is really set up for the Shield...it’s always been pretty poor for the XD family (which the Hellcat is part of).

Apex has numerous options for the Shield already, and it will just depend on how much different the new trigger mechanism is from the old model...but Apex is usually pretty fast on getting stuff out. In fact...I wouldn’t be too surprised if Apex had a model to look at before it was even released; S&W is really good at connecting with aftermarket partners in anticipation of new products, so you don’t have to (for example) wait a month for a holster to come out for your new pistol.

Additionally, you have Hyve, Overwatch...several others, and that’s just off the top of my head.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a .45, but I wouldn’t expect a dramatic increase in capacity over the single stack—2-3 rounds at the most.
I think you are definitely correct. It's a bit more difficult to make room for those big ole' .45 rounds...lol I usually carry two extra mags when i carry my .45 Shield. I load up with 7 + 1 then take two extra seven round mags. I've tried the HYVE mag extensions but I just don't like the way they look or feel when I'm carrying the Shield, so I just carry two extra mags instead of one.

I think you are definitely correct. It's a bit more difficult to make room for those big ole' .45 rounds...lol I usually carry two extra mags when i carry my .45 Shield. I load up with 7 + 1 then take two extra seven round mags. I've tried the HYVE mag extensions but I just don't like the way they look or feel when I'm carrying the Shield, so I just carry two extra mags instead of one.

I would think you’d probably get 8+1 flush, maybe 10+1 extended...more likely 9+1 extended. Still, that’s pretty bloody respectable for an itty-bitty .45.

Well I don't have a Hellcat so take this for what it's worth, but I would definitely go with the Shield. That sideways trigger lock up thing won't happen. Hans is right about aftermarket support. I have a couple Shield M 2.0s and they have been flawless for thousands of rounds.

Back