testtest

New windows

Window World windows are, uh, less than stellar quality. And Even though they say they will install any window for $99 or whatever it is these days, that's a lie. You want the window insulated and trimmed, that's extra. You want the old window and related debris hauled off, that's extra.
Thanks for that info. Who is a good company when I am ready to purchase again. Around here window world, renewal by anderson, home depot or lowes are about all we have unless there is another way to do it.

Thanks for that info. Who is a good company when I am ready to purchase again. Around here window world, renewal by anderson, home depot or lowes are about all we have unless there is another way to do it.
There have got to be a pile of small contractors around. If you can find out who the "Big guys" have installing their windows ( they are almost all subcontractors) I would concentrate my efforts there. They will do it much cheaper than the outfits they sub for. When they sub they get a set price per hole. Usually not that much. I never ever subcontracted window jobs because those places always paid about $50 a hole. When I sold window jobs I generally charged the cost of the window and related material ( no mark up) and between $150 and $200 per hole depending on what it was. If it was in brick, if it was 2 or 3 stories in the air, if I was going to have to trim the inside or just caulk, etc. When I was in business I made a point to always have a pile of references ( customers) and plenty of pictures. Subcontractors will have access to high quality windows from reputable manufacturers. And they are almost always going to be cheaper than anyone who employs a sales staff.

I'm not sure where you are, but here, besides the scores of bigger name recognition outfits there are a whole bunch of smaller contractors. Look at classified ads in your local newspaper. Look in your local yellow pages and find out where the siding wholesalers are located. Siding manufacturers, wholesalers, distributors and installers all do windows as well. When you find the places they buy from, you can check and see if those places build windows or sell them. Then you can hang in the parking lot on a workday and see who comes in and look for the names on their trucks.

Bids are free. In fact never EVER do business with anyone who doesn't give free bids. Get as many bids as you can, check references, ask for pictures of past jobs and trust your gut. As a general rule, the most expensive guys are gouging you and the cheapest guys are hacks. Concentrate on the guys in the middle.

You’re making excuses for poor customer service, a salesman’s is to sell windows not run or supervise the installation.
And as far as paying for his travel time that is ludicrous, the company pays him to do a job which is what he needs to do, total laziness.

Hey Keystone: I generally agree with much of what you discuss, but not this.

Most sales people in the window business are independent contractors working on straight commission. The payoff for them is making the sale. Most window salespeople will close one out of ten on the first call. What you seem to be upset with is the sales personnel are not willing to put out that much money on the risk they will close the sale. It is interesting to note that most HVAC, Plumbing, and Electrical contractors charge for their initial diagnostic calls and have for a number of years. Why should window contractors be any different?

Hey Keystone: I generally agree with much of what you discuss, but not this.

Most sales people in the window business are independent contractors working on straight commission. The payoff for them is making the sale. Most window salespeople will close one out of ten on the first call. What you seem to be upset with is the sales personnel are not willing to put out that much money on the risk they will close the sale. It is interesting to note that most HVAC, Plumbing, and Electrical contractors charge for their initial diagnostic calls and have for a number of years. Why should window contractors be any different?
Your confused I’m not upset at all just voicing my opinion like you are.

I have been trying for 2 months to have someone to quote me a price on new windows for the house. I went to home depot and the representative from there called me from El Paso and told me really didn't have time to drive the 1.5 hours to look and give me a quote. So put in a request at Lowes and they set up an appointment with me for following week. This person was coming from Las Cruces NM which is about a hour away. The day that he was supposed to be here he called 20 minutes late asking if we were supposed to have an appointment. I told him to forget about it, already could see the writing on the wall. I then called Window World. It would be 3 weeks before I could get appointment. Well today was the day for 8 am this morning. He called last night and told me he couldn't make it at 8 and would be later in the afternoon before he could get here. I get radiation treatments in the afternoon, wife was going to go to work late because of this appointment. I was so pissed told him to forget about it too! I cannot understand that I am willing to spend thousands and still nobody shows any interest. Is business that good? There is no-one locally that does this kind of work so my quest for new windows has come to an end. The windows are in good shape and can probably stay for a few more years, i just wanted to upgrade. What is wrong with people today?
getting back to your original posting, let me ask you a few questions..

1) what brand of window/door makers is in your area, for instance up here, Marvin Windows/doors is the bigger supplier, as well as Pella, that the contractors buy from and install.
in other parts of the country, Anderson is number 1 supplier.

2) did you try a licensed contractor in your area, as opposed to the window company themselves?

the contractors, since they "push" the vendor for supplies, discounts faster delivery, have more clout than any of us ever would.
also, the contractor may have another company/vendor he buys from, or several other warehouses.

he can get better pricing, that he "might" pass on to you, but don't really expect that either. afterall, he needs to make a profit to stay in business.

i have found that the local people who "contract" with Lowes/Home Depot, are not always the cream of the crop contractors, but this is where YOU will have the final word as all you have to do is call the store to complain, and they will send someone else out for corrections. many times, they are either first starting out and need to build thier own customer base, or they are well known contractors, that need to fill in work for slower times, to keep thier people working, rather than to lay them off.

in the end, it's not a crap shoot, as much as it is a waiting game.

best of luck.

ikjohnson is correct. I haven't been able to find an electrician for 6 months, none answer their phones or call back.

Wait 6 months after interest rates go up another 2-5%, then finding contractors for many things will be easier.

Unfortunately prices will go up another 10% in that time...:unsure:

getting back to your original posting, let me ask you a few questions..

1) what brand of window/door makers is in your area, for instance up here, Marvin Windows/doors is the bigger supplier, as well as Pella, that the contractors buy from and install.
in other parts of the country, Anderson is number 1 supplier.

2) did you try a licensed contractor in your area, as opposed to the window company themselves?

the contractors, since they "push" the vendor for supplies, discounts faster delivery, have more clout than any of us ever would.
also, the contractor may have another company/vendor he buys from, or several other warehouses.

he can get better pricing, that he "might" pass on to you, but don't really expect that either. afterall, he needs to make a profit to stay in business.

i have found that the local people who "contract" with Lowes/Home Depot, are not always the cream of the crop contractors, but this is where YOU will have the final word as all you have to do is call the store to complain, and they will send someone else out for corrections. many times, they are either first starting out and need to build thier own customer base, or they are well known contractors, that need to fill in work for slower times, to keep thier people working, rather than to lay them off.

in the end, it's not a crap shoot, as much as it is a waiting game.

best of luck.
The reason Home Depot and Lowes attract, “ less than stellar” subcontractors is because they don’t pay :poop: I once had a meeting with them to see about subbing some decks, siding and window jobs from them. They okey doked me as long as they could about the pay schedule and when they finally gave me their breakdown sheets I laughed and walked out.

The reason Home Depot and Lowes attract, “ less than stellar” subcontractors is because they don’t pay :poop: I once had a meeting with them to see about subbing some decks, siding and window jobs from them. They okey doked me as long as they could about the pay schedule and when they finally gave me their breakdown sheets I laughed and walked out.
When I did Home Improvement contract work a friend of mine was the manager of the local Ace Hardware, he kept bugging me about doing some storm door installation work for the store, we talked about money and he said it was based on how long it took to complete an install. He came up with a good dollar amount based on his past installers so I agreed, he started giving me a couple a week and I got them done in record time so he started giving me 4 a week. After a couple months he called me in to tell me that he hasn’t received any complaints from customers but since I’m getting them done so fast he has to pay me less money, I laughed in his face and told him to pound sand, about 6 months later I heard he was fired by the owner of that Ace Hardware a couple weeks after that I received a call from the owner, he told me he would pay me whatever I wanted to come back and work for him.
I made some great money in the 4 years I worked for him and developed a great customer base for other work.

I am going to wait for a few months and take Bassbob's advice. There is nothing really wrong with window I have now except they are old and the big sliders are starting to show their age. In the summer temps here reach over 100 degrees. I am in no rush and will find a general contractor I can trust. Thanks everyone for all the great advice.

Back