testtest

Newbie Reloader - Which 9mm Bullet is Best for Me

OK. It seems nobody here recommends JHP reloads. I bought a thousand rounds of FMJ a few years ago and that will probably last me a lifetime. But I wanted try reloading my own ammo anyhow and I thought it was a good time to use JHP. You know, use the FMJ for the range and a few JHP for SD. But you guys talked me out of it. Not because of the legal aspect of it, because i really don't find that very compelling, but for reliability as BassBob has stressed.

Is there a bullet you would recommend for FMJ reloads?
Speer TMJ 124gr function the best in my g17, but in my s&w m&p 9mm core Sierra and Hornady 115gr function better. I reload 90, 115, 124 and 147gr in the 9s. Knowing what works/functions best for your gun is key! Even if you find the better bullet you then need too find which powder for best cycling. You're more than welcome too reload hp, but most just use fmj/tmj for the range. I use both, because training for both is good! I'll stay away from self defense reload comments!

Suggest looking for Berry Bullets or other plated bullets based on price; your LGS or online. Check Berry's website because they say you can load their bullets using lead, FMJ or plated data. That opens up other powder recommendations; check the XTP data for 115 and 124 bullets in your Lee manual. Since you want reduced loads, try their starting loads. Don't go crazy, do 10-20 and test before loading up 500-1,000. I've done the latter and regretted it. Berry's offers RN and FP.
Good luck.

Why wouldn't you use handloads for SD or in a semi auto? What's an SD?
I think it is because factory loads are more consistent and more reliable than reloads. And the story here it is easier to defend a factory load as opposed to a hot reload designed for killing as opposed to defense.

Almost all of my 9 124gr and 40 165gr reloads are HP. I use Xtreme bullets or Hornady XTP.
My 45 reloads are 230gr RN until I get comfortable enough before going to other grains.

I plan on building some WC's in 45 just for fun.

RMR makes state of the art handgun bullets that are reasonably priced.

Speer TMJ are excellent for indoor ranges.

For reduced penetration and ricochet, Federal EFMJ are the best thing I've encountered. The LE loads are getting hard to find, but the civilian loads are often sold under names like Guard Dog.

I have a XD-9 (SA-SD) 4" and I bought a Lee set of dies and I'm anxious to begin reloading my own ammo but I have a question; Which bullet should I use? I'd like JHP but there's so many. I don't want a lot of penetration, and I'd prefer less recoil, but I want to make sure my XD cycles reliably. BTW, I'm using "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee, second edition as a guide.
I'm in almost the same scenario just a year ahead. I have been using SNS coated 115 gr or Everglades copper coated. Very low cost for high volume plinking. For self defense practice I use SNS coated 147 gr flat nose or sometimes I'll splurge for Everglades 147JHP. In both of the 147 gr scenarios I developed a load (using chronograph) that replicates the velocity of my go to SD round (Speer G2 147 gr JHP) in my EDC gun. For a 400 rd class, I'll use the flat nose. For a 100 rd day at the range I'll use the JHP. Once a season I'll cycles the G2's in my gun out and shoot them up so 50/year of the real deal and buy a new box. Just economics.
But...since I have never had to defend myself, it's plausible that this could all be wrong :unsure: ...Just know that I stayed at a Holiday Inn express once. 😀

I buy Berry's for range ammo and Hornady XTP's for HPs. Sig E-lite V-Crown for carry. They are the best HP I ever tested. Perfect expansion everytime.

When you carry self-defense ammo, carry something that specifies self-defense on the box. Its harder for a prosecutor to argue in opposition of your ammo choice. In this case, Sig's statement on the ammo is:

"Optimized jacketed hollow point centerfire ammunition for superior self-defense performance."

$30 is a small price to pay when you are looking at 15-life.

Biggy, lots of comments here and all are worthwhile. Regarding POU (philosophy of use), you should consider reloading your range/practice ammo and use OTC retail ammo for self defense.

Find/choose the round you want to use for self defense by whatever method you wish. Get the specs on that round, primarily muzzle velocity and 10 yards (or whatever distance you want). Choose one that is as accurate as you desire from your specific pistol. You might be surprised how one commonly available defense round shoots 2" left while another shoots 2" right from the same pistol.

Then test out cheaper FMJ rounds that match your "carry" rounds in velocity and accuracy. All shooting should be from a bench during these tests comparing the carry round to the range round.

Then experiment with your reloads that mimic the performance of your carry round, also based on performance of the range ammo. It will take a long time and a lot of money to find a close match...but that is a solid way to match your reloaded range/practice rounds to carry rounds. You could skip the step of finding a factory-made FMJ (practice) round, but you will reload quite a few finding a specific bullet that matches a factory-made JHP carry round.

And it's quite common for even the best JHP rounds to clog by a leather jacket or even common clothing, nullifying the perks of a hollow-point. As Hans mentioned (maybe others too), unless a JHP hits flesh first, expansion (and consequently damage to tissue) can be minimized...making an FMJ in those cases just as good. There is no way to test expansion in various cases as every shooting will be different...good luck.

Sorry, but police opening fire inside a store and going through a dressing room wall isn't a direct connection to someone defending themselves inside their home accidentally shooting a neighbor in a different house. Not even close really. Kind of a one layer of pressboard compared to 4 or 6 stud walls separated by some distance. I have heard of instances in apartment buildings on rare occasion, but I have never heard of anyone shooting at an intruder in their house, going through all their walls and into another house, going through some more walls and hitting someone. Got any examples of that actually happening ?
I am by no means a expert but have been around a long time and I see a lot of folks wanting to use +P JHP loads for self defense which for me is not a option. First of all I shoot what I use and use what I shoot and have done a fair amount of reloading over the years for both hunting and practice and rule of thumb for me was look at chart supplied by many different vendors of bullets and powders and I have always chose to load 10 percent lower than the posting of the load and to this day have never had a bad load but have had bad primers on a few occasions. Today the +P loads can almost match the days of old magnum loads and I have fired many a magnum load and I saw just a little bit ago of a poor mans test of penetration results of JHP going thru sheet rock standard thickness. Calibers used were a 357 mag 3in barreland a 44 mag 4in barrel ( I think I have that right ) an results from about 6ft away were some what shocking so if you live in a stacked or close proximity neighborhood you may want to look at what your load is. The 357 went thru 18 stacked pieces of the sheet rock with not very much expansion and the 44 mag went thru 20 pieces of stacked sheet rock with little to no expansion. I live to close to to anyone and I dislike it but the places next and around have been vacant at times and I checked there lay outs and I have gas heat so knowing where you will be placing your round is even more important that many think and the BG is the one you want to and must hit to get your expansion to possible save yourself and your neighbors IMO

I am by no means a expert but have been around a long time and I see a lot of folks wanting to use +P JHP loads for self defense which for me is not a option. First of all I shoot what I use and use what I shoot and have done a fair amount of reloading over the years for both hunting and practice and rule of thumb for me was look at chart supplied by many different vendors of bullets and powders and I have always chose to load 10 percent lower than the posting of the load and to this day have never had a bad load but have had bad primers on a few occasions. Today the +P loads can almost match the days of old magnum loads and I have fired many a magnum load and I saw just a little bit ago of a poor mans test of penetration results of JHP going thru sheet rock standard thickness. Calibers used were a 357 mag 3in barreland a 44 mag 4in barrel ( I think I have that right ) an results from about 6ft away were some what shocking so if you live in a stacked or close proximity neighborhood you may want to look at what your load is. The 357 went thru 18 stacked pieces of the sheet rock with not very much expansion and the 44 mag went thru 20 pieces of stacked sheet rock with little to no expansion. I live to close to to anyone and I dislike it but the places next and around have been vacant at times and I checked there lay outs and I have gas heat so knowing where you will be placing your round is even more important that many think and the BG is the one you want to and must hit to get your expansion to possible save yourself and your neighbors IMO
I’m not surprised there was no expansion, just some deformation…hollow points depend on a non compressible medium—liquid—to push the thinner outer walls of the bullet into the classic “mushroom” shape.

Back