testtest

Newbie Reloader - Which 9mm Bullet is Best for Me

BiggyD

Alpha
I have a XD-9 (SA-SD) 4" and I bought a Lee set of dies and I'm anxious to begin reloading my own ammo but I have a question; Which bullet should I use? I'd like JHP but there's so many. I don't want a lot of penetration, and I'd prefer less recoil, but I want to make sure my XD cycles reliably. BTW, I'm using "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee, second edition as a guide.

I have a XD-9 (SA-SD) 4" and I bought a Lee set of dies and I'm anxious to begin reloading my own ammo but I have a question; Which bullet should I use? I'd like JHP but there's so many. I don't want a lot of penetration, and I'd prefer less recoil, but I want to make sure my XD cycles reliably. BTW, I'm using "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee, second edition as a guide.
When I reloaded years ago, I usually just loaded 115gr FMC, was easy to do and no feeding issues

I heard that hollow points are good for self defense and they have less penetration so they generally don't go through walls as easily. I also heard that heavier projectiles have less velocity. I think I want that.

I heard that hollow points are good for self defense and they have less penetration so they generally don't go through walls as easily. I also heard that heavier projectiles have less velocity. I think I want that.
You don’t want to use handloads for self defense. Pretty much any attorney will confirm that; it can possibly open up a large can of worms if you (very unlikely) use them for self defense and (even more unlikely) have to go to trial for it.

Why roll the dice?

So, I’d just go for a plated or coated 115 or 124gr RN.

If you are hell-bent on loading JHP’s for defense, though…you want premium bullets, not just any old JHP. Hornady XTP, Barnes-X, Remington Golden Saber, are likely your best choices; Federal is also now offering their HydraShok bullet as a component, but I have yet to actually see them for sale.

But for plain old blasting? A cheap, lighter-weight coated/plated round nose, as mentioned above.

Oh, and additionally—a JHP that doesn’t first hit something squishy will go through just as many walls as a FMJ.

You don’t want to use handloads for self defense. Pretty much any attorney will confirm that; it can possibly open up a large can of worms if you (very unlikely) use them for self defense and (even more unlikely) have to go to trial for it.

Why roll the dice?

If you are hell-bent on loading JHP’s for defense, though…you want premium bullets, not just any old JHP. Hornady XTP, Barnes-X, Remington Golden Saber, are likely your best choices; Federal is also now offering their HydraShok bullet as a component, but I have yet to actually see them for sale.

But for plain old blasting? A cheap, lighter-weight coated/plated round nose, as mentioned above.

Oh, and additionally—a JHP that doesn’t first hit something squishy will go through just as many walls as a FMJ.
Thanks for your reply. You make a good point. However, I've found this article: https://www.guns.com/news/2012/02/20/the-case-for-carrying-handloads-for-personal-defense
And I think the article also makes a good point.

I agree with Hans, bad ideal to carry any hand loads for self defense purposes, your asking for trouble, when I worked at my sheriff dept, the prosecutor told us for any gun used for self defense should not be modified and no reloads, plus you can’t go by what you read like that, they don’t know the laws where you live, just my opinion

Why roll the dice?

Your statement "...will go through just as many walls as a FMJ." doesn't make sense. All things being equal, a hollow point, after expanding, presents a wider face to an object which acts as a parachute, slowing the projectile. It'll go through fewer layers of sheet rock.

Your statement "...will go through just as many walls as a FMJ." doesn't make sense. All things being equal, a hollow point, after expanding, presents a wider face to an object which acts as a parachute, slowing the projectile. It'll go through fewer layers of sheet rock.
You may want to get a better understanding of how hollow points work.

They don’t expand when they hit things like drywall or wood. The cavity just plugs with no expansion, and they perform the same as a FMJ.

They only expand when they hit a noncompressible medium—ie, liquid—and hydraulic pressure forces the thinner walls outward.

I wouldn't carry handloads for SD. Not in a semi auto. I'm pretty sure I can't do a better job than Federal does at it.

I don't put much weight in the argument ( which really is the same conversation we've had here about 100 times) that some prosecutor is going to hang you for it. As per my SOP when these arguments arise, please someone show me one single example of it ever happening.

Incidentally, I do have an attorney on retainer, so to speak, and he assures me that in my state anyway, your trigger weight, whether or not your gun is stock or what color you painted it will have no bearing on anything in a justifiable self defense shooting.

You may want to get a better understanding of how hollow points work.

They don’t expand when they hit things like drywall or wood. The cavity just plugs with no expansion, and they perform the same as a FMJ.

They only expand when they hit a noncompressible medium—ie, liquid—and hydraulic pressure forces the thinner walls outward.
I see what you mean. I found some tests and apparently hollow points don't expand very well when going through dry wall or plywood. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm just concerned that, if I must fire inside my home, I don't want a stray bullet penetrating into my neighbor's house.

I see what you mean. I found some tests and apparently hollow points don't expand very well when going through dry wall or plywood. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm just concerned that, if I must fire inside my home, I don't want a stray bullet penetrating into my neighbor's house.
While that is a legitimate concern, there are very, VERY few examples of that ever happening either.

I wouldn't carry handloads for SD. Not in a semi auto. I'm pretty sure I can't do a better job than Federal does at it.

I don't put much weight in the argument ( which really is the same conversation we've had here about 100 times) that some prosecutor is going to hang you for it. As per my SOP when these arguments arise, please someone show me one single example of it ever happening.

Incidentally, I do have an attorney on retainer, so to speak, and he assures me that in my state anyway, your trigger weight, whether or not your gun is stock or what color you painted it will have no bearing on anything in a justifiable self defense shooting.
Why wouldn't you use handloads for SD or in a semi auto? What's an SD?

No, but if you can’t see the direct connection…
Sorry, but police opening fire inside a store and going through a dressing room wall isn't a direct connection to someone defending themselves inside their home accidentally shooting a neighbor in a different house. Not even close really. Kind of a one layer of pressboard compared to 4 or 6 stud walls separated by some distance. I have heard of instances in apartment buildings on rare occasion, but I have never heard of anyone shooting at an intruder in their house, going through all their walls and into another house, going through some more walls and hitting someone. Got any examples of that actually happening ?

OK. It seems nobody here recommends JHP reloads. I bought a thousand rounds of FMJ a few years ago and that will probably last me a lifetime. But I wanted try reloading my own ammo anyhow and I thought it was a good time to use JHP. You know, use the FMJ for the range and a few JHP for SD. But you guys talked me out of it. Not because of the legal aspect of it, because i really don't find that very compelling, but for reliability as BassBob has stressed.

Is there a bullet you would recommend for FMJ reloads?

Back