testtest

NICS / VAF - How to Appeal

BobM

Hellcat
Information on how to appeal Delays, Denials and discrepancies with FBI when things with NICS background check go astray and what is typically involved.

One part / section is information provided by the FBI. The other part / section is perspectives of what may happen and why when getting an attorney involved. Note: You may not need to have attorney involvement:

I’ve never appealed a background check for the purchase of a firearm. However, I have been denied a carry permit in the state of Georgia a number of years ago. The only thing I could do was have my record corrected on the NCIC or NICS background check that Georgia did on me. I’m 60 now and haven’t been in trouble since the 1970’s, but I was a wild child back then and had gotten into some trouble. I had a few things that had to be cleared up on my record. What I did was get in touch with the town/city/municipality/state in which my record had some confusing, incomplete or missing information. Once I clarified what had happened and the difficulty I was having with getting my carry permit, I had to get the town/city/municipality to report back - in writing - to the state police department so they could update my record. Honestly, all the agencies I needed to deal with were very cooperative and we figured out a way to clear up my records and I finally got my permit approved. This took several tries as each time I cleared something up, Georgia found another problem and denied me. Each time I cleared something up, Georgia had to run another background check until it all came back clear. Kind of a PITA, but worth it in the long run.

The above articles are a way to go, but if you really want to get rid of the hassle of delays or denials, I think it is best to clear up the possible problems at the source that are causing the delays or denials. I’m sure there are some things which cannot just be cleared up in the way I described, but there may be some that can be. I know that I have reapplied and been approved for at least 2, maybe 3 carry permits since I had to go through this process with no problems on the subsequent applications.

I’ve never appealed a background check for the purchase of a firearm. However, I have been denied a carry permit in the state of Georgia a number of years ago. The only thing I could do was have my record corrected on the NCIC or NICS background check that Georgia did on me. I’m 60 now and haven’t been in trouble since the 1970’s, but I was a wild child back then and had gotten into some trouble. I had a few things that had to be cleared up on my record. What I did was get in touch with the town/city/municipality/state in which my record had some confusing, incomplete or missing information. Once I clarified what had happened and the difficulty I was having with getting my carry permit, I had to get the town/city/municipality to report back - in writing - to the state police department so they could update my record. Honestly, all the agencies I needed to deal with were very cooperative and we figured out a way to clear up my records and I finally got my permit approved. This took several tries as each time I cleared something up, Georgia found another problem and denied me. Each time I cleared something up, Georgia had to run another background check until it all came back clear. Kind of a PITA, but worth it in the long run.

The above articles are a way to go, but if you really want to get rid of the hassle of delays or denials, I think it is best to clear up the possible problems at the source that are causing the delays or denials. I’m sure there are some things which cannot just be cleared up in the way I described, but there may be some that can be. I know that I have reapplied and been approved for at least 2, maybe 3 carry permits since I had to go through this process with no problems on the subsequent applications.

Yes, but knowing what and where those issues may be coming from is the answer.
For example: It's not always so obvious for someone who has no actual disqualification, no known disqualifying legal history, has lived in multiple states. The FBI information and findings point the way of where those descrepancies and obstructions may be. They will also give you the information on at least where to look for answers. That's highly important and likely time savings as well.

Is basically why posted information to help save others from headaches and hassels so if and when when they do pop up out of nowhere those issues can be addressed properly, correctly and hopefully rapidly. Quest is/was to always at least attempt to make lemons into lemonaid for everyone.

And, by the way, shame on you for being a wild child! :) Fortunately, you learned from a "memorable" past in your younger years. And, in some ways, that's a good thing because you now know both sides of the fence, the why's and why not's? Knowing both ways may help to balance, rationalize and reinforce things better in the future? :)

Back