testtest

10 Features Your EDC Knife Needs

Aw screw it. Bought one anyway. :)
We got a notification from our bank about a year ago that if we didn't buy something with her credit card within the next 30 days they were going to turn it off.

So I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and I bought the guided sharpening system.

I probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise but it was certainly worth the money I paid for it

We got a notification from our bank about a year ago that if we didn't buy something with her credit card within the next 30 days they were going to turn it off.

So I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and I bought the guided sharpening system.

I probably wouldn't have bought it otherwise but it was certainly worth the money I paid for it
I'm really looking forward to trying it out brother. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Great article from Randall Wilson, combines great points about different needs for blades with some personal use & heirloom history. Not only are you a bladesmith Mr. Wilson -you're a great wordsmith! While I have always been disciplined about only carrying handguns with the same operating characteristics as the work guns, I've enjoyed a variety of folding knives with Al Mar, Microtech and Three Rivers and Harsey being fav's in the rotation.

For most of the last decade at work I carried a Gerber Applegate folder given to me as a Father's Day present by my son. I also was an early adopter of the Kabar TDI which I had mounted out of sight behind my mag-pouch as a "get off me" blade. My most recent purchase is one of the SkallyWag MDV Plus One minimalist blades. Either the SkallWag or TDI ride in my left pants pocket and both are set up in sheaths that easily come loose as they exit the pocket. Another, lesser appreciated blade is the olde timey designed "Sharpfinger" from Schrade. Blades are fun and everyone should follow Jethro Gibbs' rule #9!
Appreciated, FNFAN. There’s a Gerber Applegate folder in my truck’s glovebox. I also agree with JG’s #9!

Like having multiple guns for various uses, I usually carry more than one knife. It could be one, two, three, or more depending on the day.

A relatively cheap Gerber folder takes care of my everyday utility tasks.
A tiny SAK handles the smaller utility jobs.
Sometimes a neat Opinel does the same thing.
A Karambit comes along to stop gun grabs.
An Emerson CQC-15 serves a similar purpose.
A Leatherman is usually around for quick fix items. I rarely use the blade, though.

It just depends.

Like having multiple guns for various uses, I usually carry more than one knife. It could be one, two, three, or more depending on the day.

A relatively cheap Gerber folder takes care of my everyday utility tasks.
A tiny SAK handles the smaller utility jobs.
Sometimes a neat Opinel does the same thing.
A Karambit comes along to stop gun grabs.
An Emerson CQC-15 serves a similar purpose.
A Leatherman is usually around for quick fix items. I rarely use the blade, though.

It just depends.
It just depends on what you need, and it appears you have that covered, BarryinIN. The karambit for gun grabs is right on. A curved blade in an ice pick or pikal grip is very combative in CQC. I can go on about the Opinel for utility. I like the #7 Inox…

Randall

This is most of my collection. Obviously some really aren't EDC
The top left is my folder from La Police Gear I picked up on sale for $10 is my duty EDC. I carry it weak side pocket. Next is a Leatherman multi tool that I actually don't carry often, but I felt I had to had one. Next is my Buck 110. Again I don't carry it often but I love that thing. I carry it when I hunt. Next is my Buck Knives 863 Large Selkirk Fixed Blade Survival Knife my wife got me for Christmas. I wanted a good fixed blade knife and I love Buck knives. The Old Timers I picked up in one of those WalMart Christas deals, after Christmas for like $10. They were my first fixed blade knives.
The pick folder actually has 2 blades, a regular knife blade and a utility blade. The one next to that is a folding Karambit with a thin blue life flag. Picked it up at a fair for like $15, just kinda wanted it. I do carry it on occasion. The wood handle is a Buck I carry on occasion, it too was part of a set I picked up from Walmart after Christmas. It also came with a smaller one that I gave my youngest daughter (this was her first knife). The orange is a cheap Ozark Trail folder I grabbed from WalMart for like $4, just because. Next is a Red Head from Bass Pro. I have (had red hair and both of my daughters are red heads, so I had too (my oldest daughter has one, too). The Husky I grabbed form Home Depot for $10 and came with a sharpener. It actually was my EDC for a while until I bent the pocket clip and I have been too lazy to fix it. That skeletonized is a Geber, I think it was also part of a WalMart package deal. I also have another folder Gerber that somehow didn't make the picture, but it doesn't have a pocket clip. I don't carry that often for that reason. And I just picked this up from Rural King for $20. It's spring assisted, which I have been wanting, and is my new EDC. - https://www.ruralking.com/elite-tactical-readiness-3-50-spring-assisted-knife-tan-et-a001tnscs
231621701751165037.jpg

Last edited:
This is most of my collection. Obviously some really aren't EDC
The top left is my folder from La Police Gear I picked up on sale for $10 is my duty EDC. I carry it weak side pocket. Next is a Leatherman multi tool that I actually don't carry often, but I felt I had to had one. Next is my Buck 110. Again I don't carry it often but I love that thing. I carry it when I hunt. Next is my Buck Knives 863 Large Selkirk Fixed Blade Survival Knife my wife got me for Christmas. I wanted a good fixed blade knife and I love Buck knives. The Old Timers I picked up in one of those WalMart Christas deals, after Christmas for like $10. They were my first fixed blade knives.
The pick folder actually has 2 blades, a regular knife blade and a utility blade. The one next to that is a folding Karambit with a thin blue life flag. Picked it up at a fair for like $15, just kinda wanted it. I do carry it on occasion. The wood handle is a Buck I carry on occasion, it too was part of a set I picked up from Walmart after Christmas. It also came with a smaller one that I gave my youngest daughter (this was her first knife). The orange is a cheap Ozark Trail folder I grabbed from WalMart for like $4, just because. Next is a Red Head from Bass Pro. I have (had red hair and both of my daughters are red heads, so I had too (my oldest daughter has one, too). The Husky I grabbed form Home Depot for $10 and came with a sharpener. It actually was my EDC for a while until I bent the pocket clip and I have been too lazy to fix it. That skeletonized is a Geber, I think it was also part of a WalMart package deal. I also have another folder Gerber that somehow didn't make the picture, but it doesn't have a pocket clip. I don't carry that often for that reason. And I just picked this up from Rural King for $20. It's spring assisted, which I have been wanting, and is my new EDC. - https://www.ruralking.com/elite-tactical-readiness-3-50-spring-assisted-knife-tan-et-a001tnscs
View attachment 56329
PAGunGuy,

I love how you buy what you like and gravitate to the things that function for you. There are many knife snobs out there who buy expensive toys they don’t actually use. Nice selection. Right on!

Randall

Thanks Mike good article. I tried to put a smaller knive in my pocket for little pocket relief but always end up my big one because you need something strong especially with you are cutting the peanut butter plastic jar for my dog so she can get every last drop . Ha ha ha
R

I only carry these two every day. I have a couple more folding knives but these are my daily ones. Left, original Boy Scout knife from the '60s with blade, can opener, bottle opener with flat tip, and leather punch. Right a Leatherman Supertool from way back with an OD carry pouch.

1713735977048.jpeg

Thanks Mike good article. I tried to put a smaller knive in my pocket for little pocket relief but always end up my big one because you need something strong especially with you are cutting the peanut butter plastic jar for my dog so she can get every last drop . Ha ha ha
R
I’m the same way with my dogs, javbike!

Randall

I only carry these two every day. I have a couple more folding knives but these are my daily ones. Left, original Boy Scout knife from the '60s with blade, can opener, bottle opener with flat tip, and leather punch. Right a Leatherman Supertool from way back with an OD carry pouch.

View attachment 56360
You’re kind of doing it old school and new school, Cedric. You have plenty of options at the ready!

Randall

PAGunGuy,

I love how you buy what you like and gravitate to the things that function for you. There are many knife snobs out there who buy expensive toys they don’t actually use. Nice selection. Right on!

Randall
Thanks. I figure I would rather lose a $20 knife than a $200 knife.

Honestly my gun collection is the same. I have a Hi Point, a Springfield, a Kimber, and a few others. If I like it and can afford it, I buy it.

Thanks. I figure I would rather lose a $20 knife than a $200 knife.

Honestly my gun collection is the same. I have a Hi Point, a Springfield, a Kimber, and a few others. If I like it and can afford it, I buy it.
Yep. I’m sitting in my car on the parking lot waiting for my shift to start. The knife in my pocket is a $25 S&W folder I got free with reward points at one vendor or another. I go through a beater knife about every year or so. I usually end up losing them or breaking them. Always crap steel but usually pretty easy to sharpen with a stone. They get used to strip wire, open boxes and bags, pry on stuff, scrape copper for a clean spot to hook a locator, as a screwdriver and chisel. Definitely stuff I’m not going to do with a $400 knife.

I'd carry this thing if it would stop pullin my pants down. ain't figured a use for it yet. i tried using it to gut and skin a couple bucks with. blade is too darn thick. bought it at a gun show many years ago.
View attachment 56381View attachment 56382View attachment 56384
That's the Buck BuckMaster knife. I was absolutely in love with that knife as a kid growing up in the 90s until I actually handled one and felt the weight of it. That knife can double as a sledgehammer.

Those knives have a cult following and still demand a decent value that can be over $1000.00 depending on condition.

One feature about that buck knife that just don't every blade has is those spikes that screw on and off are supposed to be for throwin it over a limb or wall and climb up. well what a handy thing to have, i'd need a come a long to pull my fat ass over a wall or up a limb. can't tell you how great that feature is on that knife.. it does have a compass in one of them pouches just in case you make it over the wall and are lost from new scenery.

One feature about that buck knife that just don't every blade has is those spikes that screw on and off are supposed to be for throwin it over a limb or wall and climb up. well what a handy thing to have, i'd need a come a long to pull my fat ass over a wall or up a limb. can't tell you how great that feature is on that knife.. it foes have a compass in one of them pouches just in case you make it over the wall and are lost from new scenery.
I vaguely remember this knife being marketed as the new navy seal knife when it came out.

Here's a book on the BuckMaster.

Back