testtest

NOAA Winter weather predictions for your area?

Old_Me

Ronin
i was reading in the local newspaper, yes, i still read, and an actual newspaper, this years winter predictions regarding temps and snowfall.

seem we here in New England may have a bit warmer and wetter winter for Dec, Jan, and Feb...

of course, in the past, we got hit with lots of snow in March, but then too, by that time, the temps start rising.

your area's winter predictions..???

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service, released their 2023-2024 winter outlook on Thursday, and the forecasters are predicting that the odds are in favor that New England will see above normal temperatures.

El Nino is responsible for driving the outlook for warmer-than-average temperatures for much of the northern tier of the continental United States, according to service forecasters.

Northern New England is among the regions with the greatest odds of seeing warmer-than-average conditions (along with Alaska and the Pacific Northwest).

The rest of New England has a 40 to 50 percent probability of seeing above normal temperatures, according to the weather service.

According to NOAA, I'm in the "About Equal" zone.
Halloween is just around the corner. That's usually the sign for us. We hand out candy sitting out in the driveway. If you have to wear a heavy coat, its likely to be a bad winter. Shirt sleeves or a light jacket, not so much.
So far its looking like maybe a sweater. ;)

According to NOAA, I'm in the "About Equal" zone.
Halloween is just around the corner. That's usually the sign for us. We hand out candy sitting out in the driveway. If you have to wear a heavy coat, its likely to be a bad winter. Shirt sleeves or a light jacket, not so much.
So far its looking like maybe a sweater. ;)
the past few winters here, we get past Christmas for sure, sometimes New Years, before we get measurable snow...but we get socked in February/March, several times. But it doesn't stay long, with the longer days of sun and rising temps.

more of a PITA snow events.

my late grandparents used to say..."if it snows just before Thanksgiving Day, it'll snow all winter"

"if it snows just before Christmas, we won't get that much"

for many decades, they were spot on.

then Al Gore stepped in with his "global warming" and ruined everything

They're saying slightly above normal temps for us this coming winter. I subscribe to the "I'll believe it when I see it" school of thought. It will be winter in eastern MN/western ND. Winter is generally cold with snow in varying amounts. Last year was exceptionally brutal. I can't remember I-94 being closed so often in years. I check the weather app on my phone, and I take a page out of @Mr.W. 's meteorological forecasting. Stick my face out the door and see if the air hurts.

They're saying slightly above normal temps for us this coming winter. I subscribe to the "I'll believe it when I see it" school of thought. It will be winter in eastern MN/western ND. Winter is generally cold with snow in varying amounts. Last year was exceptionally brutal. I can't remember I-94 being closed so often in years. I check the weather app on my phone, and I take a page out of @Mr.W. 's meteorological forecasting. Stick my face out the door and see if the air hurts.
i too go along with the...."when i look out the window, that's today's weather" belief.

too many times we have all watched tv weather people, or heard on the radio, about snow, cold, ice, whatever, and they are wrong on the timing, or the day, or the amount.

yet they (the weather people) still get 100% of thier pay..

try being wrong, or late, or miss a day at your jobs and see what happens.

I love the early school dismissals, delays and cancellations. Too many times they called off school and yet the roads were fine at least for me that is. Plus this year they actually had early dismissal twice and a cancellation because of the heat. School officials said it's too hot no ac in the schools. I'm not that old (52) but we didn't have ac in school and we never got out early. I remember we had a tropical storm hit when I was in middle school, they gathered everyone in the auditorium away from any windows and we sat there. the cafeteria opened back up and fed us dinner and we didn't leave the school til almost 8 oclock at night. Like many stated above I usually just go out with the dogo in the yard and see for myself what's going on.

1697931214963.jpeg

Same as it ever was.

This was my local TV weatherman when I lived in Indianapolis, we rarely knew what to expect long term weather wise. This was partly because predicting weather more than a week out is a total crap shoot, and partly because Letterman was cracking jokes the entire time back then.
HoosierClimate.jpg

Last edited:
Back