testtest

Norma MHP: What’s a Monolithic Hollow Point?

Expansion and energy delivered looked to be tremendous but the the shallow penetration might be problematic for some.

Waaaaay to little penetration...remember clear gel tends to show more penetration than true ordnance gel, so...it's likely going to be somewhere under 10”.

Energy delivery doesn’t mean anything as far as wounding effects, so that doesn’t impress me. Sure, it's got big expansion...but a HST or Ranger-T will usually expand into the .7” range, and still punch deep enough to be effective at anything other than a perfect, unobstructed, square-on shot.

Not for me.

Waaaaay to little penetration...remember clear gel tends to show more penetration than true ordnance gel, so...it's likely going to be somewhere under 10”.

Energy delivery doesn’t mean anything as far as wounding effects, so that doesn’t impress me. Sure, it's got big expansion...but a HST or Ranger-T will usually expand into the .7” range, and still punch deep enough to be effective at anything other than a perfect, unobstructed, square-on shot.

Not for me.
Agree...I will stick with my HST, Barnes, and Black Hills

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled Norma MHP: What’s a Monolithic Hollow Point? and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/norma-mhp-whats-a-monolithic-hollow-point/.

It looks like the main marketing strategy for this round is the amount and consistency of expansion of the bullet. The effects of expansion of the bullet, no matter how consistent, is negatively affected if the bullet does not have sufficient penetration to effectively stop the threat. The FBI accepted range of penetration is 12-18". The 11" shown by your own test proves this cartridge would probably not be the best round to trust my life with. I will stick with my 124gr. HST and Speer 124gr. 9mm. for now.

I'm considering the .380 version of this in my 911. I'm concerned with the round possibly being a +P round and whether my 911 could handle that...

I'm considering the .380 version of this in my 911. I'm concerned with the round possibly being a +P round and whether my 911 could handle that...
I wouldn’t.

For .380, I’d run flat nose FMJ…because that’s what’s in my Sig 238.

Back