testtest

Not All Fights Are Gunfights: The Sheriff’s Take

I agree. I would try to diffuse or de-escalate the situation, if possible. What about a tactical light with strobe function? Would this cause your opponent to change channels, or escalate the confrontation further?

I also agree. Unfortunately many state laws prohibit some of those less lethal weapons. In Illinois, my wife who has an Illinois concealed carry license can carry a firearm but not a baton, or sap, or brass knuckles. Since her concealed carry is good in Kentucky she can carry not only a firearm but also all of the less lethal options. One night in Louisville, KY she really ruined a mugger's plans with her brass knuckles. I wish I had been there to see it but I was parking the car. The Chief of Ds only comment was that he would have preferred she had shot him instead as he was a known problem in Louisville. If she had used knuckles in Illinois she would have gone to jail.

The whole thing about less lethal and state laws make no sense. I carried a blackjack on the job years ago and stopped a lot of problems without chokeholds or guns. Now, most jurisdictions won't allow an officer or agent to carry most of those tools and there are a lot more problems and a lot more shootings.

I'd have to find it again, but one of the articles today about NYC / NYPD rule changes (no chokeholds, no "diaphragm" holds) stated clearly that they expect to see a rise in "non-lethal" weapon use by the NYPD - tasers, batons, and the like.

Found it:

“You’re going to see a rise in the use of non-lethal devices such as Tasers, nightsticks, pepper spray. They’re just going to incapacitate people before they place handcuffs,” Giacalone said.

Which, in my mind, will draw the ire of all the "protect criminals" folk (trying to keep it apolitical here)...and will further endanger the use of less-lethal devices by everyone. Soon, those devices will all be maligned in the press just like firearms are.

Back