testtest

O Henry .45 70

southtex

Professional
Founding Member
Picked this up today and will be trying it tomorrow.
Henry.jpg

Will be adding this later
45 70 Scope.jpg
Also thinking of just a Red Dot

When you're using the up to 28k pressure ammo the recoil is soft, but the near 42k (use for modern levers) it gives a decent kick. It's a fun cartridge for sure! When I bought a 338lm I thought what did I get myself into? With a good brake it shot as soft as a 223.

Picked this up today and will be trying it tomorrow.
View attachment 30080

Will be adding this later
View attachment 30081
Also thinking of just a Red Dot
I'm sure you will love it, as long as you aren't a wimp.

I have the Henry 45-70 with Loading Side Gate. I absolutely love shooting it. Even more than the Marlin in the same caliber. The biggest difference is that mine is the steel case, not the brass. As a result, if also has a recoil pad instead of the brass butt plate.

I took some gentlemen out shooting with it a few months ago. I got to see who the real men were. One guy fired a single round from it and said he was done. He wouldn't even consider shooting an AR after that. Meanwhile, myself and a couple of other men each fired off 5 rounds in rapid succession at a steel target 100 yards out without pausing for a moment.

Of note. I have fired 300-grain hollow points and 405-grain lead cast. The 405-grain lead cast was much softer shooting. I didn't have a chrono on it, but I would be willing to bet that the 300 hollow point was traveling at a significantly faster speed. According to the manufacturer, they are supposed to be 2050 fps.

The 45-70 is truly a magnificent round. Just wish they didn't cost so much right now.

Last edited:
Wish I would have taken a picture of her doubting face when I told her I was going to purchase some soft ammo. She is a real trooper and will shoot anything I bring home at least once. Surprised herself when she liked shooting my 10mm 1911.
What's not to love about shooting 10mm. My wife found that she likes .45 ACP better than 9mm. And got better groupings.

Back