testtest

October Gun Sales 30 Percent Above Pre-Pandemic Levels

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Volume of firearm purchases in October that resulted in an FBI NICs background check was the second highest for the 31-day reporting period on record, lagging only behind the scalding pace in 2020 when the pandemic and social unrest drove transfers to all-time highs.

October Gun Sales 30 Percent Above Pre-Pandemic Levels

october-gun-sales-30.jpg

And the number of NICS checks doesn’t even indicate the real number of firearms sold.

For example, if my wife or I buy a firearm, we don’t have to undergo a NICS check. In my state a concealed weapons license exempts buyers from a background check. We still have to do the first part of the 4473, but no check. And there are more than 1 million CWL holders in this state.

I believe other states like FL have similar laws.

And the number of NICS checks doesn’t even indicate the real number of firearms sold.

For example, if my wife or I buy a firearm, we don’t have to undergo a NICS check. In my state a concealed weapons license exempts buyers from a background check. We still have to do the first part of the 4473, but no check. And there are more than 1 million CWL holders in this state.

I believe other states like FL have similar laws.

Same here in Texas.

In Florida, a CCW permit does not exempt one from a NICS back ground check nor the 4473 form, but does exempt one from the 3 day wait to take possession of the new firearm.

The reasoning is that you may have gotten a CCW permit and the very next day have been convicted of a felony or had a restraining order placed against you. You would likely still be carrying the permit, but technically not permitted to possess a firearm.

One can also be exempted from the wait period if trading in another firearm for the new one, with or without a CCW permit. However a NICS back ground check and the 4473 is still required.

In Florida, a CCW permit does not exempt one from a NICS back ground check nor the 4473 form, but does exempt one from the 3 day wait to take possession of the new firearm.

The reasoning is that you may have gotten a CCW permit and the very next day have been convicted of a felony or had a restraining order placed against you. You would likely still be carrying the permit, but technically not permitted to possess a firearm.

One can also be exempted from the wait period if trading in another firearm for the new one, with or without a CCW permit. However a NICS back ground check and the 4473 is still required.

My family lives in FL and thought that was the case as it is in Georgia. My mistake.

The concern about a new conviction isn’t really valid since the same process would happen to get the conviction info on the NICS check that would happen to revoke your CWL.

If I’m convicted of a felony or otherwise disqualified from owning firearms, the county court that issued my CWL would revoke it.

My family lives in FL and thought that was the case as it is in Georgia. My mistake.

The concern about a new conviction isn’t really valid since the same process would happen to get the conviction info on the NICS check that would happen to revoke your CWL.

If I’m convicted of a felony or otherwise disqualified from owning firearms, the county court that issued my CWL would revoke it.
What you say is correct ..... the concern in mind as I understand is the time over-lap of committing, being charged, and records/reporting catching up. I'm not 100% sure exactly how it works, but that's the way it was explained to me as the reason for not automatically accepting the CCW permit as an approval to purchase. As I mentioned, it does eliminate the 3 day wait period as long as it's (CCW permit) valid. (y)(y)(y)

It may even have something to do with the issuing of permits in the state. In Fl the Dept of Agriculture is the issuing agency rather than any court. There's an unrecognized benefit to the citizens of the state in that process in that if/when you may be stopped in a traffic offence, the fact that you are a CCW carrier is not automatically noted on any record immediately available to LEO during that stop. And neither are the citizens of the state required to divulge that fact unkess and until the LEO specifically asks.

I'm shocked there is a waiting period in Florida.

@BET7 needs his own personal chart in the NICS system ;):sneaky:

Note the NICS employee taking BET7s weekly NICS forms into the BATFE storage area reserved for BET7s purchases.
LimitedTightBlackpanther-max-1mb.gif

Note the TA
...maybe there's some sort of confusion going on between Bet7's daily vitamins and guns on the one a day thing? :)

Back