testtest

Ohio Constitutional Carry is Advancing

I scanned the Bill they passed and it looks to me as though you can't have access to a loaded gun in the car, can't have a loaded gun in the car, and it must be in separate compartments of a case, ammo here, gun there.
IOW, useless against carjackers, they'll just get away with your car and your firearm, too.
Typical Ohio BS. The new law sucks.
The US Constitution doesn't mention all these locked cases, illegal to access it, etc. This is hardly constitutional carry.
It's just a trap.

I scanned the Bill they passed and it looks to me as though you can't have access to a loaded gun in the car, can't have a loaded gun in the car, and it must be in separate compartments of a case, ammo here, gun there.
IOW, useless against carjackers, they'll just get away with your car and your firearm, too.
Typical Ohio BS. The new law sucks.
Yea, saw that also, but if you got an Ohio CCW license, you can do all the above with no issue, I’m keeping my license.

Yea, saw that also, but if you got an Ohio CCW license, you can do all the above with no issue, I’m keeping my license.
You may need to read the law as passed. I'll go back and review it again, I may have missed the part where CCW permits are going to retain their rights in the car.

edit: Yes, CCW permit holders can holster their loaded piece in the car.
Also active duty military and all forms of cop.
The rest- No Bueno!
Some people are going to be surprised to find out the new law means the carjackers can legally carry the guins to rob you, but if you stop them, surprise! Your butt is going to jail for a felony.
A nothingburger. Get the permit or risk prison to defend yourself on the road. Or at the gas station.
Or at midnight at a red light in Chicago.

Last edited:
You may need to read the law as passed. I'll go back and review it again, I may have missed the part where CCW permits are going to retain their rights in the car.
5BA3F78E-C86E-4EBB-A3D8-25F0EC1EB784.png

It's a step in the right direction, however small.

In addition to the rather self-contradictory (in my view) exceptions for in-vehicle storage/access, I also don't like that notification is still on the books (even in the iteration it is, in this revision). Truthfully, I would rather have seen notification go, first.

But overall I think it is still a good -if small- step forward, and I appreciate the efforts of those who have dedicated their lives to advance 2A for us here in Ohio.

Last edited:
We could always open carry (while not in the car) here anyway. In years gone by we could also claim the right of affirmative defense to carry concealed when feeling threatened. Personally I don't care if the governor signs this sham or not.
I don't walk into a bad neighborhood by accident, I may bumble into one while driving. I was looking forward to safer travel, but that did not happen.

This is typical news copy about this bill:
"COLUMBUS, Ohio (WJW) — The Ohio House of Representatives voted on proposed legislation Wednesday that eliminates a concealed carry permit requirement for Ohioans 21 and over who are legally eligible to own and carry a firearm in the state."
https://www.wdtn.com/news/ohio/ohio...g-rid-of-concealed-carry-permit-requirements/

It doesn't even mention the 4th class felony for driving with a holstered gun.
It is a trap.

I looked at that thread- if you're a member there, post about the fact that you have no right to carry in the car or boat.
The gun can't be loaded or accessible, and will be a 4th class felony if you do.
Nobody mentions this, it seems, but me. People will be going to jail if they don't thoroughly read that lousy bill.
Thanks for the link! ;)

So the guys over there say we can do it in the car, if you muck through all the paragraphs, then.
In that case I'll celebrate along with those guys. Still, it is terribly twisted and convoluted. We're going to need reassurance from the police on this one.

^ The language was never a truly straightforward read.

In my job, we are required to write at "high-school level" for certain things that will ostensibly be read by those outside our profession.

I really wish laws/ordinances like this can be written more clearly.

To update this thread, the reply to @conax 's concerns from schmieg and justashooter on OFCC.org consisted of the following:

justashooter of OFCC.org said:
schmieg of OFCC.org said:
I think he needs to read 2923.111(B) et seq.

Exactly, as well as (A)(2) where "Qualified person" is defined. The bottom line is that under this bill if it becomes law anyone 21 and over, who is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under Ohio or Federal law, that does not have anything in their background that would prevent them from getting a CHL, would be able to carry a concealed handgun or transport a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle anywhere in the state of Ohio that a person with a CHL can today.

TSiWRX, as you appear to be a member there, perhaps you can help educate them.

For what it's worth, I dislike the way they went about this change to Ohio law, I think it makes it more complicated and harder to follow that necessary. This issue is the single biggest misunderstanding I see regarding the bill - I see it in every forum and FB page/group I'm in.

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, but my state has no permit requirement for “open carry”. It does require a permit for concealed….
What is that called, if anything?

(PS- unless you have a concealed carry permit, you still have to have a permit from the Sheriffs office to purchase a pistol. With a CC permit, the Sheriffs endorsement isn’t necessary. The state is looking at eliminating the purchase permit altogether in favor of just a NCIS (?) check - but it’ll take a while. The top Sheriffs association supports this move).
The technical definition is a state allowing its citizens to exercise their 2A rights without government interference.

As I understand it, the nontechnical definition is any citizen that can Legally possess a weapon can purchase and carry one however they see fit (open, concealed) without a permit, CCW, purchase permit, or any other state issued document or interference. The state can still determine who can't legally possess one such as not allowing convicted felons to own one and they can still arrest people for possessing one if not legal.

It was surmised when numerous states starting approving Constitutional Carry that gun violence and accidents would increase exponentially in those states, but the data does not bear that out.

In a move that's a surprise to me, Governor DeWine actually signed SB 215. :oops: (y)

Huge props to the tireless men and women who pushed this through. And this yet again makes me re-assess DeWine.

Another step forward.

----

Remember, Ohioans - this law will only go into effect 91 days AFTER signing.

Back