testtest

One of the best moves…..

No question it will be banned ..... likely before next weekend. I'm not one to take too much to heart anything Denny Hamlin says, but he said it right about the Chastain rim ride. He said it was "BRILLIANT"! My wife and I sat with our mouths open for a few minutes after watching that.

Ross has been one of my two favorites for the past few years. I kept telling her he had something special. Another Earnhardt if ever there was one far as I'm concerned, maybe more.

Edit: BTW, they said he was going more than 50 mph faster than the lead car through turn 3 &4 and headed to the stripe. Not only that but he ran the fastest lap ever recorded at Martinsville since it was opened more then 75 years ago. I don't remember the exact numbers. but it was something like the old record was 16.96xx something ..... he ran his last lap in 16.84xx. That's a record that will never be broken since the move will be banned for sure.

No question it will be banned ..... likely before next weekend. I'm not one to take too much to heart anything Denny Hamlin says, but he said it right about the Chastain rim ride. He said it was "BRILLIANT"! My wife and I sat with our mouths open for a few minutes after watching that.

Ross has been one of my two favorites for the past few years. I kept telling her he had something special. Another Earnhardt if ever there was one far as I'm concerned, maybe more.

Edit: BTW, they said he was going more than 50 mph faster than the lead car through turn 3 &4 and headed to the stripe. Not only that but he ran the fastest lap ever recorded at Martinsville since it was opened more then 75 years ago. I don't remember the exact numbers. but it was something like the old record was 16.96xx something ..... he ran his last lap in 16.84xx. That's a record that will never be broken since the move will be banned for sure.
Yes, fastest lap ever and the fastest through turns 3 & 4 me and my wife just looked at each other and said did we just see what I thought we saw..,,

Last edited:
He said his brother beat him 15 years ago in a video game by doing exactly that. On the 'white flag' lap he said he began thinking whether it would actually work or not and decided he had nothing to lose (but a car) if it didn't. It was one of rhe wildest 'Hail Mary's' I've ever seen, but without it he would have gone home first loser for the final four.

Wish I could view it. I have ad blockers and it wants me to shut them off. Not going to do it.
papa, go to this link and a little ways down you'll see indications of a video where you see this:
UNBELIEVABLE!@RossChastain floors it along the wall to go from 10th to 5th and advance to the CHAMPIONSHIP! #NASCARPlayoffs pic.twitter.com/9qX3eq7T6h
— NASCAR on NBC (@NASCARonNBC) October 30, 2022
C/P the one that says #NASCARPlayoffs and it should take you to the video. There may be 3 videos offered, just click the one about Ross. Good luck and hang on to your hat if it works for you................. ad blockers shouldn't matter.

papa, if none of that works try this link:
That should take you to a whole bunch of videos of it, some from different angles and even some from his in-car camera through the whole ride.

Let us know it worked for you.

Chastain's last lap time was

18.845 (That is about 0.8 seconds faster than the pole speed by Larson)

It was also 1.633 seconds faster than Kyle Larsons last race lap time of 20.508 seconds.

It did beat the current Martinsville track record of

Martinsville Speedway

Driver: Joey Logano
Date: March 28, 2014
Speed: 100.201 mph
Time: 18.898 seconds

papa, go to this link and a little ways down you'll see indications of a video where you see this:

C/P the one that says #NASCARPlayoffs and it should take you to the video. There may be 3 videos offered, just click the one about Ross. Good luck and hang on to your hat if it works for you................. ad blockers shouldn't matter.
Holly crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a gutsy move! Thanks jumpinjoe for the links.

I have been around dirt track racing since I was 13 years old . Started helping my Brother-in-law with his modified , then to sprint car before wings , then with wings . Watched NASCAR during those early years when a race would be on regular channels . I have seen a lot of wild moves but like everyone else I have never seen anything that matches that.

Holly crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a gutsy move! Thanks jumpinjoe for the links.

I have been around dirt track racing since I was 13 years old . Started helping my Brother-in-law with his modified , then to sprint car before wings , then with wings . Watched NASCAR during those early years when a race would be on regular channels . I have seen a lot of wild moves but like everyone else I have never seen anything that matches that.
I don't know how he was able to sit in that tight driving seat with a set of balls that big!!!! He even mentioned that he was concerned about being bounced off the wall or hitting that wall crossover gate. He was also smart enough to let the car go once he planted it into the wall. The way that thing was bouncing could have broken his wrist or at least some fingers if he's tried to hang on to the steering wheel. Just watch one of the in-car videos.

Man, if just one bounce had broken the right side control arm or drag link, at that speed he would have been literally slung directly back to the left and across all the remaining traffic. When you cross a track in that direction you're looking for a T-bone.

I have always been in the “ rubbin is racing” camp but that was a cheap move. Effective , yes… but cheap.
My guy (Truex Jr) is out of it so go Elliot.
Salty, not intending to argue in the least, but I am curious what it is about the move that you find "cheap". If somehow, someway the move were only available to him and he chose to use it, then yes, that would've been "cheap". But that move has been there forever for anyone/everyone to use. Just nobody ever did.

Unusual, unexpected, outrageous, brilliant, gutsy, and even "Effective", are the words I would use to describe it. It was probably one of, if not the very most 'innovative' and 'adaptive' moves in the history of circle track racing. I too am of the camp of 'rubbin is racin' as my dad was an early 'outlaw' racer (fresh out of the WW2) who along with several friends flat towed their cars up/down the east coast 2 times a year from Hieleah, Fl to Ft. Erie, Canada hitting all the big 'money' races along the way. I'm talking about the days before NASCAR, when they raced in farm fields, fair grounds, even on the running tracks around the football fields of high schools. Wherever there was a piece of dirt big and flat enough for a local promoter to plow out an oval smooth enough to race on.

Then, he became a Charter member of NASCAR. I was born the same year as NASCAR, and for most of the late 40's and early to mid-50's when he retired, I was at almost every race he attended. The family story is that I cut my teeth on a 9/16" wrench while playing in the pits of many tracks around the southeast. Mom would hold on to me in the stands (where there were stands) as I stood up and waved my little checkered flag everytime daddy passed and I'd yell "c'mon daddy". I made every lap he made in those days, never took my eyes off him as he drove. Even had the opportunity several times of the starter/flagman carry me out on to the track after a win and hand me through the driver's window into my dad's lap for him to make his victory lap while I ''helped'' him hold the checkers out the window. IIRC, probably 4-5 years old. In those days the only thing between the track and the spectators was a couple runs of K-rail/Armco type railing screwed to old buried power poles about 3' above ground. Most didn't even have 'catch fences' in those days.

Even drove myself for a few years in late 60's and early 70's and been involved in some capacity for most of 50+/- years since. Due to growing family finally moved from car driving to car owning for several years, even thought about promoting at one point. I saw the advent of many tracks up/down the coast becoming paved from the old dirt/clay/cinder tracks of the 40's and early 50's and have even seen (counted) as many as 64 cars start on a 1/4 mile asphalt track.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go into all that, but kinda glad I did ........... it brought back a lot of memories for me.

Anyway, those of us like you and I who have now or ever have had any involvement in racing know that racing is in a state of constant innovation and change ....... in technology, engines, cages, suspensions, aero, driving styles, types of tracks and surfaces, etc, etc. This one was way outside the norm of those innovations, but an innovation none the less. Just my take, obviously yours is different.

I'd really like to understand it. Thanks.

Don’t apologize, that’s one of the coolest replies and backstories I have read. I appreciate you typing it out.
You have a unique experience, that many could only dream of.
Now,
I agree the sport is steeped in innovations, brilliant minds and good ole boy ingenuity. From early days of drivers putting fuel in Cage bars to engineers making the smallest adjustments to get that extra .01 of a sec.
I say it was cheap because it resembles tricks I have seen fellas on Xbox use and if I am correct he admitted he learned it from I racing. Granted , I don’t think any rule was broken at the time but I think one needs to be in place for riding the wall. If you can’t advance position by dropping below the line at Talladega or Daytona then you should not be able to essentially put your car on a rail on shorter track with slower top speeds.

Last edited:
Don’t apologize, that’s one of the coolest replies and backstories I have read. I appreciate you typing it out.
You have a unique experience, that many could only dream of.
Now,
I agree the sport is steeped in innovations, brilliant minds and good ole boy ingenuity. From early days of drivers putting fuel in Cage bars to engineers making the smallest adjustments to get that extra .01 of a sec.
I say it was cheap because it resembles tricks I have seen fellas on Xbox use and if I am correct he admitted he learned it from I racing. Granted , I don’t think any rule was broken at the time but I think one needs to be in place for riding the wall. If you can’t advance position by dropping below the line at Talledega or Daytona then you should not be able to essentially put your car on a rail on shorter track with slower top speeds.
Wow! You have no idea just how much we do agree on this. Glad you enjoyed my little history .... as an aside, I still have my dad's NASCAR charter membership card and the helmet and goggles he wore in the late 1940's.

And now to the agreements ..... You are absolutely correct in that it resembles tricks seen on X-box and other various video games. Ross said himself that his older brother had beat him on a video game some 15 years ago using that very same move in the game. He said he remembered the move from the game on the white flag lap and wondered if it could actually work. When his crew told him he needed 2 more points, and he was too far back of the next car to catch them, he decided to go for it with that move. And in that vein, I guess we old school'rs have to give credit where credit is due and recognize that some/most of the drivers today have grown up on video games and in some case learned their skill from them. Take a look at the resume of some like William Byron and Christopher Bell. Even Kyle Larson was gaming when he made his 'off color' remark and was banned. We just have to accept that video games are part of the process these days ..... like it or not. There are good sides to video games, much like flight simulators, medical/surgical simulators, good guy/bad guy simulators, etc, and then are some bad sides to them as well.

I felt much the same with the advent of truck arm rear suspensions and Ford diffs when they became the norm. I bitched and moaned for months/years after that. Then I bitched and moaned about the spec built chassis' using only the front/rear clips from stock cars. And I went totally ballistic when they went to fuel injection and laptop tuning and was like a crazy man with the digital dashes and gauges.

I know my dad was turning over in his grave when they brought out the so-called "next gen" car. He would've considered that the ultimate insult to real racin' by driving a "plastic" car. He lived to see most of the rest of these changes and I can remember hearing him rant and rave about how they were "literally ruining stock car racing these days". He'd often say "there ain't no more damned stock cars" racing, and of course he was correct. He was especially vocal about NASCAR limiting the CI displacements way back when. But then he was far more OL' SCHOOL' than I am. RIP daddy!

I also agree there was no rule broken, and that there should be a rule against it in the future pretty much for the same reasons you've mentioned. 'Going below the line' at Daytona & Talledega for example. In fact I'm hoping they make it a rule before next week going into the championship run at Phoenix. The only down side to making a rule now forbidding it is that it prevents that record speed and lap time from ever being broken. I guess it's possible, but not real likely ever. On the other hand you can't have 20-30 cars all on the last lap laying up into the wall at places like Texas, Atlanta, etc. And we both know that somewhere at some time there will be someone who will do it and swear the steering broke and they were just along for the ride. Eventually NASCAR will have to build a dimpled wall or something similar to prevent that. IE: make it rough enough to kill the car so they won't try rim riding.

Finally, I do appreciate the come back and value your opinion. You're wrong of course, but I said I wouldn't argue about it ..... ;):) jj

Back