testtest

Open Carry withdrawn in Florida

IMO, I agree with them on constitutional carry but against open carry.

I've heard all types of people's reasons for both.

My reasons:
In the city or urban areas concealed.
Out in the boonies or away from urban areas, of course open carry for obvious reasons that no one wants to be preyed upon by any predator.

I find that those who want to open carry in city, are truly asking for issues as most people will be fearful and call the police. I've seen videos of those who can legally open carry in their states get stopped by the police and have to go through that hassel, unless you perfer 45mins having quality time with the police before finally be let go?
Now of course, for the criminal element, they know what you have and all they have to do is get the jump on you take you out and your gun is now theirs.

Maybe the Sheriff’s association was hesitant because of potential “gun snatchers?” I may be the only one here not clear about this, but does permitless or constitutional carry mean the firearm must be concealed?
The law now prohibits open carry with some exceptions. That law will remain. The constitutional carry bill eliminates the requirement for training and a concealed carry license and does not address open carry. There are multiple reasons why LEO do not like open carry, gun snatchers is just one.

Maybe the Sheriff’s association was hesitant because of potential “gun snatchers?” I may be the only one here not clear about this, but does permitless or constitutional carry mean the firearm must be concealed?

I used to visit with a city police officer in the mornings as he did his paperwork before going off shift. He has retired now. He felt the same as far as concealed vs open carry. That being in a small city that had a college that was primarily a "teacher's college" and very liberal, when someone walking or shopping with open carry he got a "call for service" and had to respond. Being an older officer he said he just did a "roll by" when possible and determined whether the individual was impaired or acting in a threatening manner. He said the problem was new or younger officers were more likely to confront the individual and all too often things would become contentious. He said the bad guys don't carry openly but the liberals had an agenda and wasted his time answering calls of citizens exercising their rights. I miss our early morning conversations.

Pennsylvania is an open carry and YES a lot of times when people open carry we get calls about them. Funny story. I was on duty in uniform getting a coffee. As I'm pouring it a lady comes over to me and whispers " There's a guy over there with a gun". So I whisper back is he brandishing it or making verbal threats on using it ? She says neither so then I whisper back and said "I'm carrying a gun too". Gave me a weird look so then I had to explain to her the laws. The man apparently aware of what she was telling me came over and introduced himself and we actually got to talking about guns when he noticed my firearms instructor emblem on my uniform. Pretty cool guy who also happens to be a gunsmith..

The right to openly carry a firearm is codified in Colorado state constitution the BUT the Home Rule Provision means that it's not statewide. And God help you if you wander into the wrong town open carrying.

(The Home Rule law means that any Municipality in Colorado that was incorporated prior to Colorado becoming a State can override state law in "Matters of concern" to the Municipality.).

If it was ever put to a vote in the state to trade permitless concealed carry for open carry I would absolutely vote to give up open carry in favor of permitless concealed carry. As long as there was a provision in the concealed carry law that made an accidental display, such as the wind blowing up your shirt not a crime.

Having said that, as long as open carry is the law in Colorado I support your right to make your own decision.

Kentucky is also a constitutional carry state as well as an open carry state, that being said with a new Louisville mayor I believe some of that will be attacked in the next few years however that same mayor who inherited a mess with the current situation following the DOJ report on the LMPD he will be busy building new trust with the LMPD and the community.
As far as open carry I do specifically at gas stations when filling up with Louisville being a hot spot for car jacking's. I also open carry on all wildlife rescue calls as I never know what I’m walking into. On wildlife calls I’m carrying in a level 4 holster. Limited chance of a snatch and grab.

I believe in constitutional carry I also believe strongly in training, I firmly believe that a need for both have to be merged to increase firearm safety.

Back