testtest

Opinions wanted: Mossberg 590M 12 Gauge

Forgot about this.

At this stage in my “gun career”, very few of my opinions are organic, yet.
PPT has some good articles but they all leave stuff out and contain some inaccuracies. They’re generally ok as part of a bigger batch of research, but don’t take their word as gospel. Not all Mossberg receivers are drilled and tapped for instance. All the new ones are though. Without additional work, by someone like Vang Comp, you are not likely to come away with the opinion that an 870 is smoother in action.

Anyway, another great pump gun is the Ithaca model 37. Browning BPS is good too though neither of those come with high cap tubes. Not sure about the Ithaca but the BPS is easy enough to add a mag extension.

Here’s my pedestrian opinion on pump shotguns for defensive use by people with minimal knowledge and experience with shotguns and gun smithing.

Get a Mossberg 500 or 590.

Bit of an update on my problem child Remington 870 Tactical 12 Gauge. Took it to the range yesterday to see if my work on it was paying off with respect to extraction issues I’ve been having and to test out some different ammo types, results were pretty good as follows:

- Sellier & Bellot #00 Buckshot 2 3/4, 10 rounds , all very smooth extraction and fire.
- Hornady #00 Buckshot 2 3/4 Critical Defense, 10 rounds all fired well, 1 rough extract.
- Remington Express #7.5 shot 2 3/4, 10 rounds all fired and extracted smoothly
- Winchester #7.5 shot 2 3/4, 10 rounds 1 failure to extract

All in all I think this gun is becoming workable for HD if I’m careful about ammo and my wife really enjoyed shooting it. Still going to get a Mossberg 940 JM Pro Tactical as a primary HD shotgun though.😊

Back