testtest

Optics Question

Buickal

Alpha
Question for those using a scope and hunting with your M1A.....any considerations I need to keep I mind when shopping for one for my M1A Scout? I have heard some scopes hold better for larger caliber rifles versus smaller calibers. I wear glasses and have had difficulty finding a scope I love when wearing my glasses. Maybe someone like me has found a scope they find to be excellent for such. I know theres a lot of personal preference as to a scope but was hoping to get a couple of pieces of actionable advice I could use to narrow options.

Thanks all

Question for those using a scope and hunting with your M1A.....any considerations I need to keep I mind when shopping for one for my M1A Scout? I have heard some scopes hold better for larger caliber rifles versus smaller calibers. I wear glasses and have had difficulty finding a scope I love when wearing my glasses. Maybe someone like me has found a scope they find to be excellent for such. I know theres a lot of personal preference as to a scope but was hoping to get a couple of pieces of actionable advice I could use to narrow options.

Thanks all
Where and what are you hunting for a start?

Are you mounting it forward, scout-style, or standard mounting?

If forward...I’d say 1-4 or 1-6, long eye relief scope. Leupold makes good ones.

If standard mount...for only 200 or so yards, 2-7, 3-9...I wouldn’t go over 10x. Illuminated reticle is nice for dawn/dusk shots.

And if you’re mounting a standard-style...a big objective is going to have it sitting really tall; you’ll want some type of cheek riser, at minimum.

I have my Scout rigged out for a variety optic options based on my AOP and possible other conditions.

As per the pic I can scout mount a LER/handgun scope (Burris 2-7 handgun shown) or a MRD, all on QR mounts. I also have a Gen1 ARMS scope base for a conventional scope.

I would mount a MRD for ranges out to 100 yds, then go with my 2-7 for ranges beyond 100 to the point where a conventional higher-powered scope would be better for longer ranges.

For Iron use I have a tritium night sight post up front.

My .02

DSCF3803.JPG

I have my Scout rigged out for a variety optic options based on my AOP and possible other conditions.

As per the pic I can scout mount a LER/handgun scope (Burris 2-7 handgun shown) or a MRD, all on QR mounts. I also have a Gen1 ARMS scope base for a conventional scope.

I would mount a MRD for ranges out to 100 yds, then go with my 2-7 for ranges beyond 100 to the point where a conventional higher-powered scope would be better for longer ranges.

For Iron use I have a tritium night sight post up front.

My .02

View attachment 5706
I've never shot with a scope mounted forward like that. What's it like? How do you get full view? Are there advantages to that type of mount? Sorry....just lack experience with that setup and looking to get a little smarter about it

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40. With the M1A, I know you said 225 max, but with 308 and possibly being able to shoot past 225 be it at a range or at another hunting spot the 12 power will allow you to do that. Vortex makes a very good scope that won’t break the bank.

Yeah.....theres definitely the chance of me shooting at a different location and longer range. My uncle has a farm in middle GA and its large open flat fields where they grow soybeans and such. They have a lot of wild hogs and I plan to put some in my freezer.

@Buickal check this out. Gives a pretty good understanding on a scout scope. Like @Talyn that would be a good setup. If I wasn’t going to run it as a primary hunting rifle and not saying a fixed power scope can’t do it because it can. I’m a fan of variable power on a hunting rifle and with the .308 and the effective range was my suggestion with the 4-12. As @HansGruber and @TEXASforLIFE and @Talyn mentioned those are great options as well. Here is the article to shed a little light on it. https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/scout-scope/

@Buickal check this out. Gives a pretty good understanding on a scout scope. Like @Talyn that would be a good setup. If I wasn’t going to run it as a primary hunting rifle and not saying a fixed power scope can’t do it because it can. I’m a fan of variable power on a hunting rifle and with the .308 and the effective range was my suggestion with the 4-12. As @HansGruber and @TEXASforLIFE and @Talyn mentioned those are great options as well. Here is the article to shed a little light on it. https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/scout-scope/
Awesome...thanks. I will read this tonite since I have more time to fill in this Covid 19 new world

Are you mounting it forward, scout-style, or standard mounting?

If forward...I’d say 1-4 or 1-6, long eye relief scope. Leupold makes good ones.

If standard mount...for only 200 or so yards, 2-7, 3-9...I wouldn’t go over 10x. Illuminated reticle is nice for dawn/dusk shots.

And if you’re mounting a standard-style...a big objective is going to have it sitting really tall; you’ll want some type of cheek riser, at minimum.

After reading the article and these posts I am going to set it up with a low magnification scout scope setup and try that a while. I like @TALYNS suggestion of having a dual setup so a high mag scope can be used for over 100 yards situations. But first...the scout scope forward setup with a long eye relief scope

I've never shot with a scope mounted forward like that. What's it like? How do you get full view? Are there advantages to that type of mount? Sorry....just lack experience with that setup and looking to get a little smarter about it

That's the "scout scope" approach. Using a scope made for handguns or others with extended eye relief you have a full view picture like a conventional scope that has much shorter eye relief. That advantages is that the action area is clear of the extra bulk of a scope so if you're reloading you have more access. A disadvantage is that you have to have a scope with the extended eye relief and it adds more weight up front.

When mounting a MRD or larger Aimpoint 30mm there's less weight and it works just like having a red dot mount that's typical now-a-days on ARs.

I believe on using quick release rings for either optic type, and the M1A scout mount is an Ultimak. It's all metal and attaches to the barrel. But it does add some weight up front. http://www.ultimak.com/m8.htm

Back