testtest

Outdoor Survival Knives

The MORAKNIV line of blades (the variety of Moras, and the Kansbol or Garberg) are good economical knives for general use, and have good steel.

THERE IS NO BEST ONE KNIFE FOR EVERY TASK!!! You NEED a "battery" of KNIVES. You need a small folder (approx. 2" blade) I prefer a locking blade over a slip joint, but I carried slip joints for decades. I like either clip points or drop points (tanto points LOOK cool, sheepfoot and warrencliff are both ok, but I just prefer the two I mentioned. Next, you need a fixed blade with a full tang and a 4 to 5 inch blade. Pick your own favorite grind and point shape I knda' like drop point or skinner shapes ... grind not much preference, don't really care for scandi, but no experience with it either. This will be your "main/go to knife MOST of the time. NOW, you NEED a BIG fixed blade full tang knife too. You can do ALMOST anything with a BIG knife that you can do with a small/medium knife, BUT, you CAN'T say the same about doing all the same things with a small/medium knife that you can with a BIG knife. IT'S JUST HARD TO BEAT A BOWIE SHAPED BLADE (change my mind). These are MY choices...YMMV. You MIGHT want to add/consider an auto opening knife. Just a "regular" auto knife, not an OTF (out the front)...I've looked at these, but I am hesitant to take the plunge. I carry a Benchmade AFO and I'm quite satisfied with it. I also own a "butterfly" knife (Balisong). It's probably the strongest folder that I own. It's fast to open and as long as I hold it firmly in my hand, it's NOT going to close on me.
Don't limit yourself to just one knife... yes, you CAN fillet an elephant with a pen knife, but there are MUCH better tools for the task.

What is the best knife for outdoor survival?
There is no "best". There are some better suited than others. For instance a Nesmuk knife is better suited for woodsmanship than a karambit. A Ka-bar can be effective depending on the model or modifications done to the profile of the blade.

There are a host of factors to think about such as environment, tasks expected of it, materials it's made of, what else is in your kit...

For me, I carry a 2 lb axe (Hults Bruk Akka), a straight edge belt knife and a small folding knife made my opinel for very fine tasks such as small game skinning.

I'd I don't carry my axe I carry my tomahawk. I like my tomahawk because I can take it off the handle and use it as a knife similar to an ulu. I can go on and on and on but if you want my suggestion: carbon steel old hickory knife. It ain't pretty but it'll do quite a bit. Better yet, design and build one yourself.

I've been planning on getting back into making them for a side business

My surprisingly old son has suggested a ‘survival’ knife as a stocking filler in his Birthday list.
I have no idea about such things, but have shieldon knives that there will be those on here who do - so can anyone make any recommendations?
Thanks

My first question would be, what does he expect a "survival" knife to do? What does his normal kit consist of, does he carry a smaller hunting knife to process game?

If so one of the larger choppers like a Becker or large bowie might be good. Kabar Fighting utilities are popular choices but a bit on the lighter side for heavy Bush work. But by using a baton they can do practically anything.

If he wants something that does everything then you are in a bit of limbo. I might suggest a combo set like Knives of Alaska sells with a small hunter and a larger chopper in one scabbard setup.

A lot depends upon your budget. Try going to someplace like the knife center of the internet and do some looking around. Type in combo set and you will see some nice options.

I’ve mentioned this place before, been there twice, if you like knives then this is your place to visit.

I have been there a couple times, they have a great museum section too. Antiques would better describe it.
I thought Buds Guns was inside the store but Buds is actually behind them to the south. The have a nice firearms sections.
1659015036024.png

I’ve mentioned this place before, been there twice, if you like knives then this is your place to visit.

That is one company I just cannot deal with. They bought the name of one of my favorite knife manufacturers and changed it into a cheap Pakistan brand. Marbles is no longer the proud knife they once were when I used to go to the factory in Gladstone. I have heard some models are getting a bit better but I cannot bring myself to look.

But what if your could only choose 1 knife?
Why am I only choosing one?

I can't imagine anyone who would be skilled enough to actually survive in the woods who wouldn't be knowledgeable enough not to try it with only a knife.

If I'm choosing a knife for survival I am already preparing ahead of time. So, why not choose suitable tools for the task?

Even Rambo's knife was more of Field Utility Knife than a "Survival knife."

I always have my Buck 110 and a Gerber Multitool on me when I leave home. In my "survival pack" which includes The Ten Essentials and always goes into the woods with me I have a gerber strong arm fixed blade knife and a Fiskars folding saw. That would certainly meet my needs for fire/shelter.

I can't imagine a survival situation in which I would A. Be able to hunt for food but B. Not be able to walk out of the woods on my own.

That is one company I just cannot deal with. They bought the name of one of my favorite knife manufacturers and changed it into a cheap Pakistan brand. Marbles is no longer the proud knife they once were when I used to go to the factory in Gladstone. I have heard some models are getting a bit better but I cannot bring myself to look.
I’ve been there twice and bought some knives each time, I mentioned the place because of the wide selection they offer.

I’ve been there twice and bought some knives each time, I mentioned the place because of the wide selection they offer.
I understand completely. I used to get thier catalogs all the time and bought a number of things before this all occurred to sour me. They had some very interesting products.

Back