testtest

Overweight in warm climate

A sidetone, my kydex holster after sitting against my body for 2-3 hours between stops sort of molded closed against my pistol (P365) and it was hell-of-a-pull to get the firearm to release. I wasn't expecting the body heat to soften the plastic enough to make it difficult to pull the firearm, but it did.

^ The one from JX Tactical?

That's definitely *_NOT_* supposed to be right - I have *never* had that happen, and I've not only just worn the gun against-skin (I don't usually wear an undershirt), IWB, but I routinely take all-day training classes with it, four-seasons.

Certainly, while NE-Ohio doesn't get truly blisteringly hot. I have done some really awful-humid days in 100-degree weather, with no such issues/.

That definitely should not be happening.

Big guy here also. Unfortunately I’ve never had the motivation to push through the appendix learning curve. I do, however, live in Florida and feel your pain. A good thing about living here is the CC laws allow for accidental and/or brief displays. Unless the outline is so obvious and constant that it just screams gun, you really don’t have a problem.
Before my fat got fatter, my shirts were almost all 1 size too big.
I wear an XDM 3.8 Compact @3 o’clockish. It used to have a wing that helped pull the butt of the gun in. It broke. Too lazy to get another. I’ll just buy a new holster at some point 😅
Btw @phf have you read Florida Firearms Ownership and Usage 9th Edition?
View attachment 24684
That keeps you from getting arrested for taking your jacket off in a resturant or (re) holstering your weapon getting in or out of the car. Still best kept on the down low, but nice to know you won't (maybe) go to jail for flashing.

New to posting here.
Most video's and pics of folks carrying are wearing long sleeves, jackets, multiple layers, and such showing how they conceal and with what.

What are some options for holsters IWB or other for lightly overweight (in the belly) folks that live in places like Florida (HOT ALL THE TIME) where shorts, short sleeves, and light weight cloths are the norm ?

Currently using an "Essential Holsters" Naked Holster for a Hellcat. Much less cumbersome/bulky than my IWB holster from Vedder and don't care for the "front pocket" type at all.

Although the naked holster allows to carry comfortable, it is sometimes obvious "something" is there perhaps due to very light clothing.
But, a good belt I found is a KORE . Love it, carries a hellcat well and stays in place.

Thanks
I looked at the 'Naked' holster on the site, but couldn't make up my mind exactly how it grips the gun. Is it possible to see a picture of it with gun inserted? Thanks in advance. JJ

I recently made a 15hr trip with a Shield plus (10rnd pinky extension) in the DeSantis Mini Scabbard (Leather) carried at the 4 position with no issue. Long trips are typically OWB. I also keep a Ruger Max 9 easily accessible while in our vehicles. I drive a F 150. I have also carried my EMP 4" and the Hellcat (OWB) on similar length trips.

^ The one from JX Tactical?

That's definitely *_NOT_* supposed to be right - I have *never* had that happen, and I've not only just worn the gun against-skin (I don't usually wear an undershirt), IWB, but I routinely take all-day training classes with it, four-seasons.

Certainly, while NE-Ohio doesn't get truly blisteringly hot. I have done some really awful-humid days in 100-degree weather, with no such issues/.

That definitely should not be happening.
I know it should not happen, but it did (does). I'll just waste $100 on another one, next time leather, and see what happens. It truly sucks that one MUST pay the money and buy to try. What works for you will not likely work for me and vice-versa. At least it's still cold and pocket carry is easy for another month or 2!

I looked at the 'Naked' holster on the site, but couldn't make up my mind exactly how it grips the gun. Is it possible to see a picture of it with gun inserted? Thanks in advance. JJ

^ "Minimalist" holsters such as these are usually fitted to either capture the trigger guard or, in the variants that are compatible with frame-mounted WMLs, fitted to capture the light.

This PDN video with Rob Pincus goes into some detail with one specific minimalist holster:

----

I know it should not happen, but it did (does). I'll just waste $100 on another one, next time leather, and see what happens. It truly sucks that one MUST pay the money and buy to try. What works for you will not likely work for me and vice-versa. At least it's still cold and pocket carry is easy for another month or 2!

^ Indeed, the fact that we have to pay to try is a quandary that few of us can avoid, particularly with negative outcomes such as what you'd had the misfortune to experience. :cry:

^ "Minimalist" holsters such as these are usually fitted to either capture the trigger guard or, in the variants that are compatible with frame-mounted WMLs, fitted to capture the light.

This PDN video with Rob Pincus goes into some detail with one specific minimalist holster:

----

^ Indeed, the fact that we have to pay to try is a quandary that few of us can avoid, particularly with negative outcomes such as what you'd had the misfortune to experience. :cry:
I pretty much was convinced it just gripped at the trigger guard, but then I'd quiver at the thought of it............ !!! (y)(y)(y)

Crossbreed offers a 30 day "test drive". You might give them a look. I have a Reckoning that can be configured iwb/owb and I find it comfortable. The 30 day return may be of interest to peoples who are tired of buying in the blind.

I always carry! I always carry OWB. It gets over 100 degrees here for a long period of time. I always wear a t-shirt for undergarment and a shirt outside not tucked in. For me this is the only to carry and for the most part it is very comfortable.

I too live on the "300th parallel" in South Florida. Tried different ways for CC until I found what works for me. I carry a Hellcat RDP with the Crucial Concealment Covert IWB. Wear a light undershirt with a looser overshirt untucked. Shorts, jeans, whatever, but use a black Hank's belt. I've even worn outer, tighter fitting polo shirts with no noticeable printing. Wear is at 3:00-3:15. I can't seem to get comfortable with appendix carry....it just feels to pokey into the flufboar region. I drive a truck (Silverado), and the gear seems to set just right in the gap between the console and the back of the seat.

I guess the thing is, there is no one-size-fits all for men of a certain size. I think you need to experiment and see what works for you.

Loose, light colored T-shirts.
And a quality gun belt, and a quality holster ( being "full figured" ;) I like OWB Yaqui/ slide, holsters) Forget carry rotation or the newest greatest gun, get a gun you can use and you like, use the $ on quality equipment, ammo, and training. OR. get a mouse gun stick it in your pocket, and remind yourself daily that you are better armed than most people that some how manage to get though their lives without being armed to the teeth like a Seal/Delta team member.

I live in West Central Florida - Brooksville, 50 miles N of Tampa. I’m 6’4” and pushing 300 pounds. A lot of muscle, but I won’t lie - a bit of not muscle. I’ve lost 40 pounds, but I’ve got a ways to go.

I use Kydex holsters with optic cutouts from Concealment Express (now called Rounded I think). I carry a Glock 19 or a Springfield Hellcat with Holosun red dots. I used their claw kit, which pushes the gun grip closer to your body, and I can wear a t-shirt with the Hellcat and not print. The Glock I have to wear a fishing shirt or similar.

They have a sweat guard on the body side, I usually forget the Hellcat and if it wasn’t for the weight I’d forget the Glock.

A belt is Uber important. My wife is a horsewoman, and her friend makes harnesses with stainless steel buckles out of a material called biothane, which is a type of tough nylon that looks like leather. She made me two belts, brown and black, and they’re awesome - 1.5“ and can’t be compressed or bent vertically, so they support the holster 100%. They also look really nice - I ca wear them business professional. Plus I have a nickel allergy, so the solid stainless buckles are a lifesaver.

She could probably make a mint off the gun community.

^ Biothane is excellent.

FirstSpear's "Line One" and Daltech's "SuperBio" Biothane belts have been a part of the concealed carry community for more than a decade....but strangely enough, they really haven't caught on as much as one would imagine.

It took me a couple of years after entering the concealed-carry world before I was made aware of them - and as a self-confessed "geardo 😅 ," this surprised me. But I was even more surprised when, years later as I continued to discuss gear -and belts specifically- with other shooters that they still haven't caught on more (i.e.https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/belt-me.278021/page-2#post-4948881).

Undercut Daltech and FirstSpear's pricing and make it competitive versus second-tier leather, they'd likely sell like hotcakes!

Back