testtest

OWB Carry Advice

wmg1299

Professional
I have been concealed-carrying for years, but have always carried either Inside-the-Waistband or pocket-carried when that was all that my wardrobe would allow. I recently had hip surgery, and my normal IWB carry system irritates one of my incision sites. Moving the gun from appendix to strong-side or 4 o'clock manages to hit the other incision sites. I am strongly considering switching to OWB carry (at least until I heal up).

For those of you who carry OWB, what locations and holster styles have offered the best concealment? All of my Outside-the-Waistband carry was done as a LEO where I was either open-carrying or was not overly concerned about printing. The few OWB holsters I own are for duty-sized guns that are not really designed for concealment. I usually carry a Sig Sauer P365 as my EDC, but would be fine switching to my 9mm XDS Mod.2 if that opens me up to more concealable options.

I have been concealed-carrying for years, but have always carried either Inside-the-Waistband or pocket-carried when that was all that my wardrobe would allow. I recently had hip surgery, and my normal IWB carry system irritates one of my incision sites. Moving the gun from appendix to strong-side or 4 o'clock manages to hit the other incision sites. I am strongly considering switching to OWB carry (at least until I heal up).

For those of you who carry OWB, what locations and holster styles have offered the best concealment? All of my Outside-the-Waistband carry was done as a LEO where I was either open-carrying or was not overly concerned about printing. The few OWB holsters I own are for duty-sized guns that are not really designed for concealment. I usually carry a Sig Sauer P365 as my EDC, but would be fine switching to my 9mm XDS Mod.2 if that opens me up to more concealable options.
Not sure how long you’ve got on the healing ordeal (and btw, best of luck and blessings to you) but given that it’s winter, would just coat pocket carry work? Or shoulder rig? Might involve some new practice routines but what the heck:)
I’ve thought about one of those CC jackets for myself.

Hans is right. 3:30-4:00.

As far as holsters, I'm sure there are several that focus on keeping the pistol tucked close into the body for concealing under an overshirt or jacket. My two favorites that do this very well are Muddy River Tactical's OWB and Clinger Holsters " No Print Wonder". Both hold full size, high capacity 4" pistols tight enough to my body that a flannel or a jacket conceals them nicely. And both are extremely comfortable.

Holsters...if the issue is with irritation on your incisions, you’ll probably want a high-ride holster.

However, if you have a spare tire/love handles/Budweiser Body Armor, you might not find a high ride comfortable, and not as concealable.

Leather would likely be more comfortable than plastic/kydex as well.

I’d look at Galco, etc...

Holsters...if the issue is with irritation on your incisions, you’ll probably want a high-ride holster.

However, if you have a spare tire/love handles/Budweiser Body Armor, you might not find a high ride comfortable, and not as concealable.

Leather would likely be more comfortable than plastic/kydex as well.

I’d look at Galco, etc...
I was going to suggest Galco as well, inexpensive so your not stuck with an expensive holster when you do go back to IWB but good quality. Mine sits at 3-3:30 strong hand “right side” conceals very well.

Not thinking typical waist holsters and likely hip incisions may be too compatible depending on where?
A few thoughts, 1st one is shoulder holster. NRA Store for example has quite a few good quality options for vests, jackets ect. Suspect other stores out there do as well? Best on your search. Recover quickly

Hmmm ... interesting new product. Just read this ...looks like a work pouch. May be a nice not recognizable “work pouch”

Hmmm ... interesting new product. Just read this ...looks like a work pouch. May be a nice not recognizable “work pouch”

Have similar canvas case use for Hellcat holster by Elite Survival Systems. Works okay. 2 large loops on back to carry upright or sideways. Fits many smaller frames with adjustable elastic/velcro hoops for HG and extra mag. Also has velcro strapped cell phone holster in front and another separate zippered compartment before that for camouflage. The HG/mag and separate compartments are individually zipped for quick access.

I'm not sure about the difference in comfort between kydex and leather OWB holsters. I suppose high ride it has some bearing, but with an OWB you're always going to have at least one garment between your body and the holster anyway. My experience with leather is limited to shoulder rigs though. I do know that both of the holsters I mentioned are very comfortable, particularly in comparison to any IWB holster.

XD Mod 2 4" .45 in the Clinger No Print Wonder.

VP9 in the Muddy River Tactical.

I'm not a fan of cold weather, with the exception to it that I go OWB due to the addition coats for concealment. I started with Alien Gear OWB, but it still protrudes too far from the body. Great for range use though.

Switched to Urban Carry LockLeather OWB & IWB, and am much happier and comfortable. The Alien Gear (AG) ShapeShifter holsters haven't seen the light of day in a long time. I do use kydex OWB (paddle holster) when walking the pup at night, and it's now the We The People brand. Not as bulky as AG. Just my personal preferences, as we all have for our particular body shapes.

Oh, I do use the AG pocket holster setup when kayaking. Works well in my PFD vest pocket with the SA XDS9.
(attempted posting a pic. Site not cooperating)

Last edited:
Check out Versacarry. They make great leather holsters at an amazing price point.
I own a few Versacarry IWB holsters and a couple OWB for my 1911's. They make good products, but the full-size holsters seem to ride a bit low for concealment purposes. The placement of the holster is comfortable, but the barrels extend past an untucked t-shirt. I may give them a shot to see if this happens with smaller guns as well.

My experience - I have 2 P365s - is that they are very hard to get to print and are easy to wear OWB. I have a We The People OWB holster with paddle that is extremely comfortable to wear at 3.30-4:00. I also have a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and an Alabama Pocket Holster that work really well.

I'm not a fan of cold weather, with the exception to it that I go OWB due to the addition coats for concealment. I started with Alien Gear OWB, but it still protrudes too far from the body. Great for range use though.

Switched to Urban Carry LockLeather OWB & IWB, and am much happier and comfortable. The Alien Gear (AG) ShapeShifter holsters haven't seen the light of day in a long time. I do use kydex OWB (paddle holster) when walking the pup at night, and it's now the We The People brand. Not as bulky as AG. Just my personal preferences, as we all have for our particular body shapes.

Oh, I do use the AG pocket holster setup when kayaking. Works well in my PFD vest pocket with the SA XDS9.
(attempted posting a pic. Site not cooperating)
I'll check out the Urban Carry. We the People are my favorite paddle holsters, but the paddle rides directly over two of the incision sites. I'll most likely have to go with a belt-style holster.

OWB, I’ve always found strong side 4:00, give or take, to be optimal.
I've always carried OWB at 3:00 o'clock in the past, but this was for duty as a LEO. The incisions don't seem to bother me as much if they are covered by jeans, and it appears that they are only irritated by direct contact with a gun or the paddle of a paddle holster. It looks like any position will work for me for OWB carry, but a higher ride-height is probably better for concealment.

It’s already been said, but strong side is more than likely going to be best. Also as mentioned a shoulder rig could serve you well depending on your range of motion. Lots of good, quality options on both OWB and Shoulder Rigs. Hope you heal up quickly.

I've always carried OWB at 3:00 o'clock in the past, but this was for duty as a LEO. The incisions don't seem to bother me as much if they are covered by jeans, and it appears that they are only irritated by direct contact with a gun or the paddle of a paddle holster. It looks like any position will work for me for OWB carry, but a higher ride-height is probably better for concealment.

The Muddy River Tactical is a high ride with a slight FBI cant.

Back