testtest

P-51 Mustang: America’s Apex Predator

P51 is my favorite WW2 fighter, even though the f4 is a bad mamma of a plane.

The F4 was a dirty bird... and not a pleasant aircraft to experience as it flew over a technician (me) servicing the inner marker. That chunk would rattle your insides and is probably a contributing factor to why my ears ring constantly. It was nearly as bone rattling as the KC-135.

The F4 was a dirty bird... and not a pleasant aircraft to experience as it flew over a technician (me) servicing the inner marker. That chunk would rattle your insides and is probably a contributing factor to why my ears ring constantly. It was nearly as bone rattling as the KC-135.
The F-4, Proof to the World that with enough Thrust, even a brick could fly....
It was a great aircraft....

One of the problems that the early models of the P-38 had flying out of the UK in WW2 was the bad British gas.

The early models cooling system, the lack of compressibility dive flaps, & poor training were contributing factors until corrective measures were implemented and the J-25 variant and L model arrived in the ETO.

BTW - the last F4 Phantom I saw flying was an USAF "E" Heritage flight bird at an air show in Norther MN a few years ago.

She was stripped down to enough fuel to do the routine & flew an impressive series of maneuvers for an old bird. Unfortunately, they didn't have her & her companion on the display line like the others.

The Israeli Super Phantom with the PW1120 engines (that did fly) really had a big boost in performance.

Last edited:
I suspect that some of you are talking about the F-4 Phantom (jet) and others are talking about the WWII F4U or F4F fighters....:(
Other than one post all the posts I see that mentions the "F4" are talking about the F-4 Phantom.

Here's a double trouble ( F-82 Twin Mustang) at the USAF Museum in Dayton, OH. A place to absolutely visit to anyone who loves aviation

1696990647424.png

I couldn't find a picture of it, but the Jug came back with damage that would've downed lesser types, the picture I can't find is a returned Thunderbolt with its propeller tips curled back from strafing TOO low.
image064-1.jpg
55c8a69f23518cad69759da00df6ed88.jpg

God love the R2800, even nearly oil starved it was more survivable than anything liquid cooled.

Besides the P-47 the R2800 was used in the F6F Hellcat, and the F4U Corsair, and also in the B-26 and A-26 medium bombers. And they tested it in a B-25 but they decided not to switch over.

Back