testtest

PERISHABLE SKILLS

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Good read on perishable skills, basically if you don’t use it, you lose it, you really need to practice and just not think, I did that once so I’m good, practice….practice…..

Hi,

Thanks for the reminder. I must admit, now that I've been making it to the range once a week I have done a lot less dry fire practice in my basement laser range. "Perfect practice makes perfect."

AP1GczPOPYNk4HX1OmRqn38wSAuYCcV2nKpHk0kaGzqNTuZrqJ0fEwOSI51VpK-xZTcbGX7d4_rjsRCJh-4Qkf5zBLWuHhZcb1ve-QPg77VWW7A6yWrv1b9e3XflXvJIDy7ZpohrOQkvgkFJ8Osy4UqyTVJzDg=w1236-h927-s-no

AP1GczNK5XkKP0ZV1Rl_WQZJyS5SlviuROcTiVH6MyPFAgKNsXBWFfxduOM98zcUoYfN03WMYbEA9ZeLxlu7zYu6IjH0nYAbR59SWnYM78-SXzCM2w0s6cjfcb-ZCYz9uU7SqKvgrHcsdKYKVnGvb_dAHs-B5g=w1236-h927-s-no

I can practice at 10 yards. ;)

AP1GczNns1DJEkcyIC9YQCTOOiJfKdUUG26lUi8Hy3NOKULfA26W-KK1h1N4kTAwimsT7lnCNGjLcohUIvkM8EDxG9h6b1YOIFzO9ExQyEBZlXECbR2GGYeUvBWaxIz7dKobP_KVpGZoHUWYD_Wr8zbHqaF-mg=w1236-h927-s-no

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Very, very true. IMHO waaayyy to many folks will buy a firearm, shoot it a few times and stick it away to “protect” themselves. Frankly, owning a firearm no more means you’re ready/able to use it anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician.🙄. I’ve taught a bunch of folks o shoot over the decades. In every case I tell them that it takes time to become skilled, and it takes ongoing practice to stay that way. Most (sadly not All) folks I’ve taught continue to regularly practice to this day. Some get a very basic skill set and then just stop. If they ever need those skills they are in for a very unpleasant surprise. Sadly, the same thing applies to many police officers who do an annual qualification and then never fire a shot until the following year. Grandson works with some who do that. He and a few of his fellow officers have built a range on one of the guys farm so they have a place to practice, and they use it regularly. I’ll guarantee they are far more proficient than their “once a year” peers.

So many firearm related things are perishable. I haven't shot much lately including long guns with and without optics.
i'm taking my CZ 75 B tomorrow to the club, i ain't shot that gun since May of last year..... :eek: , and that's my fault, for having way too many dang guns in rotation, yet taking the 1911's more than my 9mm's or revolvers.

just lubed it up, since the last lube seems to have dried up, and got the ammo ready.

good thing (really) that i have been dumping some of my guns. i see no need for what i once had, of 45 of them...

down to about 25 now, and still a "few more" to get rid of.

regarding perishable skills, i try to get to practice at least once per week, and many times...twice..

but now, the range i go to..??

jacked up the membership so much.........i know i won't go there weekly anymore, maybe only once per month at $25 for an hour

so i can go to my club more often anyways... (literally 8 minutes from my house) its just that the club, the targets can only go to 40 feet..the range, the targets can go to 75 feet...and that's the CCW qualification distance......and i'll need to re-qualify in early 2025.

i'll manage, i'll just miss my buddies that go there.........

Last edited:
Very, very true. IMHO waaayyy to many folks will buy a firearm, shoot it a few times and stick it away to “protect” themselves. Frankly, owning a firearm no more means you’re ready/able to use it anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician.🙄. I’ve taught a bunch of folks o shoot over the decades. In every case I tell them that it takes time to become skilled, and it takes ongoing practice to stay that way. Most (sadly not All) folks I’ve taught continue to regularly practice to this day. Some get a very basic skill set and then just stop. If they ever need those skills they are in for a very unpleasant surprise. Sadly, the same thing applies to many police officers who do an annual qualification and then never fire a shot until the following year. Grandson works with some who do that. He and a few of his fellow officers have built a range on one of the guys farm so they have a place to practice, and they use it regularly. I’ll guarantee they are far more proficient than their “once a year” peers.
Look up Paul Howe- former D- Boy. He has a 25 rd shooting routine that a shooter can follow

Back