testtest

Personal Defense Considerations When Carrying a Firearm in a Vehicle: The Sheriff's Take

I've thought about adding a magnet to my dashboards. Unholster on entry, stick the slide on the magnet (likely located above my right knee or thereabouts). Reholster upon exit. Some of these rare-earth magnets are STRONG...just have to find one that won't mess with the electronics in my Grand Cherokee!

I really need to update my vehicle carry plan. I want to carry a handgun and my 410, so I am toying with a couple of ideas. My vehicle is a pickup and I would be glad to get any suggestions. As usual, another common sense article from the Sheriff. Thanks for sharing!

I like gun magnets and I utilize them extensively. Not in vehicles though. I’m not sure a magnet will hold strong enough to withstand heavy impact. There are other devices that screw into place that would work better. I generally have a handgun on my person pretty easily accessible.

I really need to update my vehicle carry plan. I want to carry a handgun and my 410, so I am toying with a couple of ideas. My vehicle is a pickup and I would be glad to get any suggestions. As usual, another common sense article from the Sheriff. Thanks for sharing!
This what I've installed in my truck console:

I've thought about adding a magnet to my dashboards. Unholster on entry, stick the slide on the magnet (likely located above my right knee or thereabouts). Reholster upon exit. Some of these rare-earth magnets are STRONG...just have to find one that won't mess with the electronics in my Grand Cherokee!
This is exactly what I did. Mounted the below magnet with two screws on underside of dash right next to my right knee. Magnet holds PLENTY strong and gun is in a good position to retrieve.

Gun Concealment Magnet | Lockdown

Grey area for me. I just keep it on my person.
A lot of times I forget to take it off as well. But, it is very hard to get out of the holster with my seatbelt on and jacket or shirt covering it. If I drive into a potentially sketchy area, I think about it, unholster and stick it on the magnet so I have quick access. There would be nothing worse than having a gun, needing it and then being unable to use it because it is in a hard to get location. Even if that location is right on my hip...

A lot of times I forget to take it off as well. But, it is very hard to get out of the holster with my seatbelt on and jacket or shirt covering it. If I drive into a potentially sketchy area, I think about it, unholster and stick it on the magnet so I have quick access. There would be nothing worse than having a gun, needing it and then being unable to use it because it is in a hard to get location. Even if that location is right on my hip...
I hear you and certainly agree. The reason I mentioned grey area was becasue of my states very hard to follow laws. We have to be licensed here, and dependent on the restriction, your only option may be unloaded in a locked container to transport. For those lucky enough to be able to carry concealed, the law states "must be in direct control". Local law enforcement have mentioned it is just best to keep it on your person as some towns may consider inside the vehicle, negligence.

I hear you and certainly agree. The reason I mentioned grey area was becasue of my states very hard to follow laws. We have to be licensed here, and dependent on the restriction, your only option may be unloaded in a locked container to transport. For those lucky enough to be able to carry concealed, the law states "must be in direct control". Local law enforcement have mentioned it is just best to keep it on your person as some towns may consider inside the vehicle, negligence.
Yeah, every state is different. I live in Georgia. Here, if you don’t have a carry permit, you can have a pistol in the car, but it must be kept in the open on a seat or either in the glove box or console. If you have a carry permit, it can be anywhere in the car. Concealed or not. Georgia really is pretty good when it comes to firearms laws.

Yeah, every state is different. I live in Georgia. Here, if you don’t have a carry permit, you can have a pistol in the car, but it must be kept in the open on a seat or either in the glove box or console. If you have a carry permit, it can be anywhere in the car. Concealed or not. Georgia really is pretty good when it comes to firearms laws.
This is similar to what Missouri law was before we had RTC. You could have one in the car but it had to be in plain view. Even then in the urban areas it was a problem with law enforcement. When we got RTC ( with permit) it changed to any non restricted person could have one concealed in the car. Now we have permitless carry, stand your grand, castle and pre-emptive liability.

Back