testtest

Pilot attempt at tables

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
During the shutdown this winter I started woodworking, since I couldn't find ammo and it was too cold for archery. I found I love it so I've been branching out into making furniture. This is my first try at an end table, before I make a matched set and sell it off. It's a bunch of curly maple cutoffs from the steamer trunk style chest I'm also making. I hope I'm not being too brahadocious when I say I nailed the holographic look you can find in figured maple. The picture doesn't do it justice at all. I have some orders from people for other items. I guess I have a side hustle now!

Attachments

• 20210619_191138.jpg
    20210619_191138.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 121
  • 20210619_190303.jpg
    20210619_190303.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 123
You wanna get paid, turn that figured maple into a bass guitar. ;)

Seriously. Nice work.
I getcha. I have a custom Les Paul style I had made for me. It needs some oil and a good topcoat but the wood is first rate. I paid first rate prices for it, too.

Side note: those EMG pickups scream.

Attachments

• 20210619_225112.jpg
    20210619_225112.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 89
Last edited:
I getcha. I have a custom Les Paul style I had made for me. It needs some oil and a good topcoat but the wood is first rate. I paid first rate prices for it, too.

Side note: those EMG pickups scream.

I assume those are passive pickups? No active preamp (electronics/EQ). I'm an old school guy where guitars are concerned. I like PAFs, P-90s, mini-hums and late 50s spec hums. Bass is different. I love the stock Hi-Gains in my '74 Rickenbacker, but the EMGs in my 2015 Spector NS4 along with the trim pot equipped Tone Pump pre are probably the greatest sounding bass tone I have ever heard. Especially through my '91 SVT II non pro and 2006 Ampeg 810CL.

Great looking guitar brother.

I assume those are passive pickups? No active preamp (electronics/EQ). I'm an old school guy where guitars are concerned. I like PAFs, P-90s, mini-hums and late 50s spec hums. Bass is different. I love the stock Hi-Gains in my '74 Rickenbacker, but the EMGs in my 2015 Spector NS4 along with the trim pot equipped Tone Pump pre are probably the greatest sounding bass tone I have ever heard. Especially through my '91 SVT II non pro and 2006 Ampeg 810CL.

Great looking guitar brother.
The EMGs in that one are active. I mostly play that one when I go for a metal or hard rock sound. The pickups in my Gibson and the Fat 50s in my Strat are passive. Great for blues. I wish I knew more about bass guitars. They're an underappreciated instrument.

The EMGs in that one are active. I mostly play that one when I go for a metal or hard rock sound. The pickups in my Gibson and the Fat 50s in my Strat are passive. Great for blues. I wish I knew more about bass guitars. They're an underappreciated instrument.
So active pickups with a passive preamp. I think that's how it usually goes isn't it? One or the other is active. I am no electronics guy. I do know that lots of metal players prefer active pickups, particularly with extended range guitars.

I have more basses than I can count, but only 2 have active electronics. The aforementioned Spector and an 80s model Peavey DynaBass, with active/passive preamp. I know the guy who designed that preamp and while I am not a fan of Peavey in general this particular bass sounds and plays spectacularly. It does seem that the bass world ( Guitars, amps and minutae) is really only interesting to bass players.

During the shutdown this winter I started woodworking, since I couldn't find ammo and it was too cold for archery. I found I love it so I've been branching out into making furniture. This is my first try at an end table, before I make a matched set and sell it off. It's a bunch of curly maple cutoffs from the steamer trunk style chest I'm also making. I hope I'm not being too brahadocious when I say I nailed the holographic look you can find in figured maple. The picture doesn't do it justice at all. I have some orders from people for other items. I guess I have a side hustle now!
Beautiful work,, don't forget signature pieces for any kids.. My dad used to do woodworking as a hobby. We have three cabinets and a boot box he made and are cherished heirlooms and they have all been spoken for when I pass.

Very nice and at least you didn't build a boat in your basement :rolleyes: ! Pickin' and grinnin' on the 3rd pic. Woodworking 101............find the person who knows how too do it right(me not know, but you know how). I'll take that art over any canvas every day!

Back