testtest

Poked some holes in paper today

belladonna

Professional
So I did manage to make it to the range today. Man, I drove through major dust outs in some spots...like driving though a desert dust storm. The range was quite busy, as I expected, but I got lane 15..not too bad. I brought three pistols and all of their magazines with me today. I load at home because I hate wasting time loading on the line. I brought the VP9 and the SK, and also my Reflex. Unfortunately, by the time I finished running through all the HK magazines my left shoulder was pinging something fierce, so I decided not to hurt myself further and packed it in. I will shoot the Reflex (and the HKs :)) on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I ran Remington Range, WWB and Blazer Brass, all 115gr, as well as Critical Defense 124gr. Not one issue with either gun. Seems they are just not fussy with whatever I decide to feed them. Now for the pics, all at 10 yards.

The first two targets are the VP9. Two mags through the first, and the remaining three mags on the second.
IMG_4181.jpeg

I was mainly concentrating on maintain sight picture and trigger control. I've come to the conclusion that I may need the help of optics. My sight picture is blurry, period. My 60 year old eyes need a little help..😒.

IMG_4182.jpeg

This one wasn't quite as bad. I was after the zero in the center, and then went for the cranial cavity zero. That was when I was really noticing the blurry sight picture.

Next up was the SK. This one is always fun to shoot, no matter what the results. I shot three mags through the first target, and the other four through the second.

IMG_4183.jpeg

You can tell I was getting tired...no excuse though. Still felt good :cool:

IMG_4184.jpeg

I wanted to poke out the zero.
So...Lots to work on, but I think I need to consider putting optics on these. It will be costly, but it ain't happening right away so I have to maybe get a new prescription in my shooting glasses.

Thanks for viewing and, as always, constructive criticism is always welcome.

60 is just a fraction older than I (58). My groups (or the lack thereof) at pbr looks like a scattergun 🤫 . Very windy here too (43mph) and my cat Snowball is having a name change to Dirtball:(. You'll get settled in with the dot in no time!

Last edited:
Good shootin, them targets be lookin good to me. i wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of you shootin at me.
Thank you Belt...you're too kind. I suppose I could get the job done. I am planning to retire soon and my goal is to shoot bullseye straight through so it looks like only one round through. I am a dreamer though, so I am told, but my glass is always half full... ;)

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Probably looking at Simon and TFL's range posts too much. Those targets look good to me. We all always have room for improvement, but I think you're doing just fine. It looks like the SK may group a little better. I shoot mine better than the regular VP too.

Of course I think optics are always a good idea. Is your SK cut for an optic ?

Hey there Ms. @belladonna!

It's so nice to see that you'll go to great lengths to practice and sharpen your skills. Lane #15? Wow! How many bays do you have there? 16? 20? Just curious. The ranges I go to have 10 at the older facility and 12 at the newer. Now that the weather is getting nice I will try to visit an outdoor range.

What I also see are very, very few hits outside of the seriously-killed\injured\maimed\ruin-your-day\can't-have-children zone. Nice work!

Have you noticed that when you concentrate on that "O" in the middle of the target and press straight back, you hit it?! Wow! I think that's the old "aim small, miss small" procedure. I'm working my way towards consistency in that too. ;)

I know everybody wants to shoot 50 rounds through one hole in the target. What's the fun in that? If you're defending yourself you'd want to spread those hits around to do more damage. If you're shooting at paper at least shoot a smiley face outline or punch out a star shape. Sometimes I feel like I'm not getting my bullets' worth of I can't see all the hits. :LOL: I'm kidding.

Thanks for sharing your good time at the range. Oh! Check out the "Top Focal" shooting glasses from SSP Eyeware. They help me at the range a lot. I have no optics yet and these allow me to see the sight picture clearly. Of course, I practice without them too because most bad guys will not give me a chance to put on my special shooting glasses. 🥸

Here's a link to my shooting glasses...

If you're interested, I'm happy to answer any questions. Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

But I should get an optic too. I'm gonna try a couple of rentals at the range first.

I'm glad you had fun today. :D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

It's so nice to see that you'll go to great lengths to practice and sharpen your skills. Lane #15? Wow! How many bays do you have there? 16? 20? Just curious. The ranges I go to have 10 at the older facility and 12 at the newer. Now that the weather is getting nice I will try to visit an outdoor range.

What I also see are very, very few hits outside of the seriously-killed\injured\maimed\ruin-your-day\can't-have-children zone. Nice work!

Have you noticed that when you concentrate on that "O" in the middle of the target and press straight back, you hit it?! Wow! I think that's the old "aim small, miss small" procedure. I'm working my way towards consistency in that too. ;)

I know everybody wants to shoot 50 rounds through one hole in the target. What's the fun in that? If you're defending yourself you'd want to spread those hits around to do more damage. If you're shooting at paper at least shoot a smiley face outline or punch out a star shape. Sometimes I feel like I'm not getting my bullets' worth of I can't see all the hits. :LOL: I'm kidding.

Thanks for sharing your good time at the range. Oh! Check out the "Top Focal" shooting glasses from SSP Eyeware. They help me at the range a lot. I have no optics yet and these allow me to see the sight picture clearly. Of course, I practice without them too because most bad guys will not give me a chance to put on my special shooting glasses. 🥸

If you're interested, I'm happy to answer any questions. Not affiliated, just a happy customer.

But I should get an optic too. I'm gonna try a couple of rentals at the range first.

BassCliff
Thanks Cliff! True that, if we shot every round through the same hole...well, where's the challenge in that? Thanks for the link, I will check it out. :)

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Probably looking at Simon and TFL's range posts too much. Those targets look good to me. We all always have room for improvement, but I think you're doing just fine. It looks like the SK may group a little better. I shoot mine better than the regular VP too.

Of course I think optics are always a good idea. Is your SK cut for an optic ?
Unfortunately no, but I am willing to have the slide milled. I see that you can buy a slide from H&K, but it doesn't specify that it is optics ready. I'll figure out a way...hopefully without having to buy another one. Mine is kinda feeling like my buddy already. :giggle:

BassCliff
The range I go to has two separate sides (rarely open at the same time unless there's courses running or a big crowd). All told, there are 24 lanes.

Unfortunately no, but I am willing to have the slide milled. I see that you can buy a slide from H&K, but it doesn't specify that it is optics ready. I'll figure out a way...hopefully without having to buy another one. Mine is kinda feeling like my buddy already. :giggle:
HK Parts and a couple other places have them. $360-$420 and they have suppressor height sights. Not sure I would go that way ( although I went exactly that way with my VP9 ). I REALLY like the SCS on the SK, which co witnesses with standard height sights. You might look into having the slide milled if you want to go with the lower profile ( and IMO much better) SCS over something like the 507c. If you want to go with a 507c or other standard profile pistol dot then the suppressor height sights are nice because they will co-witness with them using the HK plates.

HK Parts and a couple other places have them. $360-$420 and they have suppressor height sights. Not sure I would go that way ( although I went exactly that way with my VP9 ). I REALLY like the SCS on the SK, which co witnesses with standard height sights. You might look into having the slide milled if you want to go with the lower profile ( and IMO much better) SCS over something like the 507c. If you want to go with a 507c or other standard profile pistol dot then the suppressor height sights are nice because they will co-witness with them using the HK plates.
I am guessing that having my slide milled will probably cost almost as much as a new slide with the suppressor sights. I am leaning toward having mine milled for the SCS. I don't know much about them, but with the bit I have been reading, and your recommendation, I haven't seen anything negative. I do plan on doing the optic on the SK first, then go from there...unless of course I win the Powerball, then all bets are off. :cool:

I am guessing that having my slide milled will probably cost almost as much as a new slide with the suppressor sights. I am leaning toward having mine milled for the SCS. I don't know much about them, but with the bit I have been reading, and your recommendation, I haven't seen anything negative. I do plan on doing the optic on the SK first, then go from there...unless of course I win the Powerball, then all bets are off. :cool:

I think the HK cut/footprint for their plate system is the same. The SCS for the VP9 is made to that footprint. In other words you could put the SCS on any of the OR HK slides. It's just that unfortunately they all seem to come equipped with suppressor height sights which are too tall for the SCS. If that makes sense.

I don't have any experience with having a slide cut, but it seems to me it would be cheaper than buying a different slide, even if it is a little more of a hassle.

By the way, @SimonRL doesn't care for the SCS. The window is too small for his liking.

You could just live large like Simon and say F it and buy a whole other SK. :)
Mine came with the SCS already mounted to it.

Going with the separate OR slide like I did for the VP9 left me with a little OCD problem. First, the serial number on the new slide doesn't match the frame and second, now I have this great slide I had XDMan put TFX Pros on just sitting there with no frame for it. Yeah I can swap it back and forth with the OR slide, but That's kind of a drag. If I could get a good deal on a VP9 lower I'd put my OR slide on it and put my original slide back on the VP9.

I think the HK cut/footprint for their plate system is the same. The SCS for the VP9 is made to that footprint. In other words you could put the SCS on any of the OR HK slides. It's just that unfortunately they all seem to come equipped with suppressor height sights which are too tall for the SCS. If that makes sense.

I don't have any experience with having a slide cut, but it seems to me it would be cheaper than buying a different slide, even if it is a little more of a hassle.

By the way, @SimonRL doesn't care for the SCS. The window is too small for his liking.
Yeah, I remember reading that. Lol. I was reading somewhere (I read a lot, so I forget exactly where..) where there was a discussion about sending HK slides for milling, I think they only specified the VP9. I bookmarked a few sites and I am sure I'll find something. I am a research nut.. :cool:

You could just live large like Simon and say F it and buy a whole other SK. :)
Mine came with the SCS already mounted to it.

Going with the separate OR slide like I did for the VP9 left me with a little OCD problem. First, the serial number on the new slide doesn't match the frame and second, now I have this great slide I had XDMan put TFX Pros on just sitting there with no frame for it. Yeah I can swap it back and forth with the OR slide, but That's kind of a drag. If I could get a good deal on a VP9 lower I'd put my OR slide on it and put my original slide back on the VP9.
Unfortunately, my wallet isn't as deep as Simon's, lol! I'll just work with the one I have...and then my OCD will be fine cuz the serial numbers will be the same. I totally get you on that one!

Yeah, buy an optic ready slide with the supressor height sights and a plate from HKParts and then you have way more options to choose from. As Bob knows, I don’t share his zeal for the SCS. I have one and I don’t care for it. I run a Holosun 507C on my SK and an Sig Romeo 1 Pro on one of my standard VP9s and Viridian RFX35 on my other VP9. All different optics, all work well and all get carried. And you know that 50 rd one hole thing? You’ll get there quicker with a red dot. Ask me how I know? 😇😇😇

Nice shooting, btw.

I can’t keep up with this conversation!

Back