testtest

Polymer Handguard From a Saint Rifle

Not sure if this is the right area, but I figured I'd take a shot. Does anyone know where to pick up the polymer mlok handguard that comes on Springfield AR's? It looks like BCM makes a version, but it is in keymod.

^ Ah! Now I get where you're going with this. :)

Have a look also at FAB Defense, A*B Arms, Strike Industries, and Mission First Tactical.

Off the top of my head, they all also make non-free-float two-piece AR hand guards in various gas-system lengths, but I really don't know how well they perform (heat resistance and the ability of the M-Lok slot to properly hang on to your sling mount are my two biggest concerns)......

Or see if someone would be willing to part with their factory piece, outright - as a lot of folks upgrade furniture almost immediately after they purchase their gun!

Or see if someone would be willing to part with their factory piece, outright - as a lot of folks upgrade furniture almost immediately after they purchase their gun
I was afraid that was my only option :(. If there's anyone on here that's willing to sell theirs then I'm a buyer!

All this talk and threads on AR’s is making me want to get one again, haven’t owned one for several years now, maybe once I get my medical bills paid I might have to look into getting one.

Anni, get a stripped lower. I have Andersons and PSAs and they are as good as anything else. Then just decide what kind of upper you want and how much you want to spend on it. I have it in my mind to get a high end upper next, but I said that last time too and ended up with another Bear Creek Arsenal upper. $240 for a complete upper with BCG and charging handle. I have two BCA uppers now and I can't find anything to complain about. Get an "Enhanced" mil spec lower parts kit for about $40-$50 and you now have a perfectly serviceable AR for around $400 minus optics/sights, stock and a sling.

All said and done I have about $500 in this one. I already had the stock and I will be changing it. In fact I will yank this Romeo off and set it aside for another project and put a scope of some kind on it as well, but as it sits it's downright affordable.

LjMwEqv.jpg

Ok, cool Bob, thanks, rifle looks good.
I'm sure you know as much about it as I do brother, I'm just saying that you don't need to buy an off the shelf model. Putting them together is easy and fun and you can save some money you can then spend on goodies like red dots. So far I have stuck to complete uppers which make it dead simple. You can build out a stripped lower in about a half an hour and then just slap a complete upper on it. And you don't have to have a bunch of special tools. The only tool I have to borrow every time I do one is the wrench for the castle nut and you don't have to have that even. You can tap it tight with a flat screwdriver and then stake it and you're good to go.

One thing i failed to mention was you will also need a buffer tube assembly for your lower, but they can be had for $40 or so.

Still a lot cheaper then a factory model, plus you get the satisfaction of building it yourself, may consider this.

It definitely is. And it's addicting. And you know when you get to parts shopping and putting it together there are a lot of your pals here who will help you spend your money and help with any questions about assembling it. I promise you it's not hard and well within your ability.

Another advantage is a stripped lower is 4473'ed as " Other". They don't know WTH it is. lol Could be a pistol, could be a rifle, could just be a hunk of metal in the safe. :cool:

Purpose drives the train, @Annihilator :) - for me, every purchase is filtered through that viewpoint, and it's literally everything from firearms to luggage to even purchases for my lab.

The marketplace for the .223/5.56 AR15 is currently saturated, and there are a ton of choices available for the buyer. Whether it be the purchase of a complete firearm, pre-built upper/lower components, or even if you want to "build out" an upper, lower -or both- by yourself, there are myriad choices available to fit every budget and every need.

However, the components are not "LEGOs," and one should be aware that there are many finer considerations that can - and should - come into play if the end-use is not solely/exclusively for hobby purposes.

Since you have the time, @Annihilator , I would recommend that you take a step back and get reacquainted with the genre via the following two videos.

The first is the late, legendary, Pat Rogers' very last recorded lecture about the platform:

Pat Rogers Final Speech, via F3 Tactical

^ This man is a true SME ("Subject Matter Expert") of the platform, and the expanse of his knowledge as well as his passion - even this long after his passing - still resonates within the industry throughout the nation (even more pervasively here in the eastern Midwest), with some of his disciples being among the biggest names (and SMEs in their own right, such one of the heads of Forge Tactical, John "Chappy" Chapman, and Dave Laubert of Defensive Creations, APG member and listed among "The Top 25 Gunsmiths in the US" by American Handgunner).

The run-time on Pat's video is just over an hour, but his lecture style and material have been perfected through decades of teaching: you'll barely notice the time fly by.

That said, the next video does take a bit of intestinal fortitude to work through:

P&S Modcast - AR15 Manufacturing QA/QC

^ It's four hours long, but trust me, if you really want to put together your own AR, it's worth the listen.

This gathering of P&S-vetted SMEs in that sector of the industry really goes to dispel the myths commonly heard/read in the "AR world," even among professional circles. While a lot of the talk does get rather technical and can sometimes even be dry, the payoff for the knowledge that you'll gain from it is, in my opinion, worth it.

It took me about a week to make my way through the video, but I've since re-watched it a handful of times thereafter. It really, really is worth the time.

This P&S "gun nerds" video above will also give you a framework to better understand the videos uploaded by Chad Albrecht of The School of the American Rifle (SOTAR). SOTAR came to the fore in the last few years, after the lamented passing of the noted SME William Larson - aka "iraqgunz" on the M4Carbine.net Forums. The man behind Semper Paratus Arms, Larson was among the first make armorer-level knowledge available to us average-Joes/Janes. Not only did he hold open-enrollment armorer's classes, he also routinely dropped knowledge bombs on social-media platforms such as M4C.net and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms). Below, I've linked the SOTAR YouTube Channel, and if you click on it, it should populate the videos in the channel in an "oldest on top" format -

As you view his videos, understand that my impetus for linking his Channel is not to suggest that you - or any other hobbyist - needs to invest the not-inconsiderable money to obtain the various gauges and other specialized tools/instruments he uses. Rather, my goal - as with citing the above marathon of a P&S Modcast - is to hopefully help fellow hobbyists gain a deeper understanding of the AR.

Finally, if you like to click around a bit, the AR Build Junkies website is also a great place to get information: https://www.arbuildjunkie.com

Purpose drives the train, @Annihilator :) - for me, every purchase is filtered through that viewpoint, and it's literally everything from firearms to luggage to even purchases for my lab.

The marketplace for the .223/5.56 AR15 is currently saturated, and there are a ton of choices available for the buyer. Whether it be the purchase of a complete firearm, pre-built upper/lower components, or even if you want to "build out" an upper, lower -or both- by yourself, there are myriad choices available to fit every budget and every need.

However, the components are not "LEGOs," and one should be aware that there are many finer considerations that can - and should - come into play if the end-use is not solely/exclusively for hobby purposes.

Since you have the time, @Annihilator , I would recommend that you take a step back and get reacquainted with the genre via the following two videos.

The first is the late, legendary, Pat Rogers' very last recorded lecture about the platform:

Pat Rogers Final Speech, via F3 Tactical

^ This man is a true SME ("Subject Matter Expert") of the platform, and the expanse of his knowledge as well as his passion - even this long after his passing - still resonates within the industry throughout the nation (even more pervasively here in the eastern Midwest), with some of his disciples being among the biggest names (and SMEs in their own right, such one of the heads of Forge Tactical, John "Chappy" Chapman, and Dave Laubert of Defensive Creations, APG member and listed among "The Top 25 Gunsmiths in the US" by American Handgunner).

The run-time on Pat's video is just over an hour, but his lecture style and material have been perfected through decades of teaching: you'll barely notice the time fly by.

That said, the next video does take a bit of intestinal fortitude to work through:

P&S Modcast - AR15 Manufacturing QA/QC

^ It's four hours long, but trust me, if you really want to put together your own AR, it's worth the listen.

This gathering of P&S-vetted SMEs in that sector of the industry really goes to dispel the myths commonly heard/read in the "AR world," even among professional circles. While a lot of the talk does get rather technical and can sometimes even be dry, the payoff for the knowledge that you'll gain from it is, in my opinion, worth it.

It took me about a week to make my way through the video, but I've since re-watched it a handful of times thereafter. It really, really is worth the time.

This P&S "gun nerds" video above will also give you a framework to better understand the videos uploaded by Chad Albrecht of The School of the American Rifle (SOTAR). SOTAR came to the fore in the last few years, after the lamented passing of the noted SME William Larson - aka "iraqgunz" on the M4Carbine.net Forums. The man behind Semper Paratus Arms, Larson was among the first make armorer-level knowledge available to us average-Joes/Janes. Not only did he hold open-enrollment armorer's classes, he also routinely dropped knowledge bombs on social-media platforms such as M4C.net and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms). Below, I've linked the SOTAR YouTube Channel, and if you click on it, it should populate the videos in the channel in an "oldest on top" format -

As you view his videos, understand that my impetus for linking his Channel is not to suggest that you - or any other hobbyist - needs to invest the not-inconsiderable money to obtain the various gauges and other specialized tools/instruments he uses. Rather, my goal - as with citing the above marathon of a P&S Modcast - is to hopefully help fellow hobbyists gain a deeper understanding of the AR.

Finally, if you like to click around a bit, the AR Build Junkies website is also a great place to get information: https://www.arbuildjunkie.com
Thanks for the information, BTW, YouTube has blocked there videos for reason.

Weird - I can do a URL-link via the Forum, but not a direct link/embed?

My link citations in other Forum communities also seem to be working..... Has there been a TOS change that I missed, between when I left and returned?

Back