testtest

Polymer Handguard From a Saint Rifle

Like the one I seemed to be trapped in ;)😂🤣
If I was a single guy B7, well, let's just say I would have taken about 35k out of my portfolio this morning and spent it all on ammo. Well, and shotguns.

AR-15s are surprisingly simple and many of the things guys who go " Full tilt boogie" think are important really aren't that important. Really it all comes down to what you intend to do with it. For the most part if you got a good barrel, BCG and trigger the rest is just dressing. The functional difference between a DD lower receiver and an Anderson just isn't that great. It's just that they are so customizable and there is so much different stuff for them that men, being men, go way Effing overboard convincing themselves they need this or need that.

A perfect example. If I had all the money I spent getting the perfect live bass tone I could buy dozens of Noveskes. Do you know who would have noticed the difference ? Just me. My rig makes Paul McCartney's rigs look like pieces of shite and he still sounds way better than I do. ;)

The functional difference between a DD lower receiver and an Anderson just isn't that great. It's just that they are so customizable and there is so much different stuff for them that men, being men, go way Effing overboard convincing themselves they need this or need that.

I only partially agree with that -

Because although both are made "to-spec," the final QC/QA are objectively not the same, and the lesser are notably more frequently at the edges of spec than the better.

In the real-world, that "slop" is more often complicated by tolerance-stacking versus components which have seen tighter QA/QC.

But the trick really is this:

Really it all comes down to what you intend to do with it.

^ Yup.

Mission always drives the train.

Just buying a brand-name that's dollars-more doesn't necessarily guaranty that the item will be trouble-free either in-isolation or in-conjunction with other components (i.e. tolerance stacking - as a matter of fact, look at some of the SOTAR videos for this very real-world lesson). It somewhat betters the odds, but whether or not paying for that is worth it can very well be reasonably and logically driven by one's end-use purpose for the gun.

And just because a component is bottom-barrel or a "Blue Light Special" doesn't necessarily mean that it'll automatically be out-of-spec or even run on the edge. For those who are on a tight budget or just looking to trade off some time-invested for monetary savings, taking the time to open a few boxes with your favorite LGS clerk on a slow morning can well help you find that/those Goldilocks component(s) to make a "budget-build" every bit as excellent as a high-dollar Gucci gun, be that a complete or build.

Last edited:
Well so far I haven't run into an Anderson or PSA lower that's out of spec. And so far all of mine are stupid accurate and failure free. Even the ones with "Crappy" BCA uppers.

When I got my first AR I bought an Adams Arms Voodoo Innovations Witch Doctor. It's a really nice $800 carbine. Very accurate, nice barrel. Built on an Anderson lower. Back then I was on a couple forums and you wouldn't believe the Chronic A-holery exhibited when I asked people supposedly in the know about my new AR. Now I have been training with military and LEO guys for many years and been around guns and owned them for over 40 years and I have never seen before any single platform so filled with D-bags in my life. I think it's because a lot of these people on forums with ARs are young. They are in mommy's basement telling me how my gun ain't **** because it isn't a Daniel Defense, with a BCA BCG and blah, effing blah. Odds are I could shoot circles around those guys the very first time I shot it. Odds also are that even though they say **** like, " If it's time to hide them it's time to use them", they would break down like little girls if they were ever in a situation where someone was shooting at them, much less some people that know what they're doing. I could take them to any given street I work on, on any given day and they would be pissing their pants. The last thing I am interested in is getting advice about anything from morons like that. So I no longer involve myself in any internet forums that are gun related ( Other than this one).

None of this applies to you @TSiWRX, I'm just ranting. And I'm just saying that most "Budget friendly" ARs are going to be fairly decent quality. As for me, the first place I will spend "High end" money on ARs will be on triggers, BCGs and barrels. As far as the " Intended use" question I'll say this. I am a guy who has been shot at several times, had to dive in holes more times than I can count, I've been stabbed 3 times in my life and I am no stranger to pain or fighting and I am not scared ****less every time I hear or see bullets flying around me. Nevertheless, I am under no illusion that I need a combat worthy AR-15. If I did, I would absolutely buy a Noveske and stick an ACOG on it. There is a 99.9% chance that the only place any of mine will ever be fired is on the range. That said, my crappy Anderson/BCA 10.5", unbraced, Viridian HS-1 and Romeo 5 equipped 5.56 pistol has my complete confidence should I ever need to defend myself or my family in my home with it. And that sir, is good enough for me. :)

Back then I was on a couple forums and you wouldn't believe the Chronic A-holery exhibited when I asked people supposedly in the know about my new AR. Now I have been training with military and LEO guys for many years and been around guns and owned them for over 40 years and I have never seen before any single platform so filled with D-bags in my life. I think it's because a lot of these people on forums with ARs are young. They are in mommy's basement telling me how my gun ain't **** because it isn't a Daniel Defense, with a BCA BCG and blah, effing blah.

^ I do think there's that crowd.

There's also the Gucci-gun/snob crowd, too.

But there are also those who truly are industry SMEs -like those in that marathon of a 4-hour P&S ModCast- who are truly trying to educate the newer and/or less knowledgeable/experienced out there about the actual and oftentimes invisible to the naked-eye difference between parts of differing QA/QC tiers.

Odds are I could shoot circles around those guys the very first time I shot it. Odds also are that even though they say **** like, " If it's time to hide them it's time to use them", they would break down like little girls if they were ever in a situation where someone was shooting at them, much less some people that know what they're doing. I could take them to any given street I work on, on any given day and they would be pissing their pants. The last thing I am interested in is getting advice about anything from morons like that. So I no longer involve myself in any internet forums that are gun related ( Other than this one).

^ Ah, but that interjects a lot of external factors to the discussion. ;)

It's not really about whether or not a gun will function on a mechanical level or even how well that gun shoots (even excepting end-user and ammo differences), but just the merits of manufacturing.

Both of these rather subjective manifestations of objective factors has the HUGE variability of the end-user interjected into the equation.

A novice buyer may not even recognize that the high-end complete rifle that he was handed off-the-rack at the LGS actually missed critical QA/QC for some weirdness of production, and didn't, for example, have a properly staked receiver end-plate or even a mis-aligned hand guard. Should the buyer miss that level of scrutiny, what's the likelihood that they'd realize that the gas-block/tube alignment may also be off or that the gas key staking was improper or even absent? What's the likelihood that they'll note problems with headspace of the bolt, or even understand why certain of their magazines may fall free, while others not?

This, versus a well-experienced shooter like yourself. Someone who knows the platform can pick that winner of an Anderson or even Aero lower by checking on-the-spot at the store, even without gauging and before taking possession -or even return it to the manufacturer- that the critical dimensions are good-to-go, and so-forth.

None of this applies to you @TSiWRX, I'm just ranting.

Understood, bruddah. No worries there.

And the same goes back to you as well. The reason why I am taking the counterpoint is to show that there's two different ways to think about this, that's all. :).

And I'm just saying that most "Budget friendly" ARs are going to be fairly decent quality.

Pretty much.

I tend to see it like a lot of other consumer goods these days: that by-and-far, most of the stuff really is pretty darned good!

As for me, the first place I will spend "High end" money on ARs will be on triggers, BCGs and barrels. As far as the " Intended use" question I'll say this. I am a guy who has been shot at several times, had to dive in holes more times than I can count, I've been stabbed 3 times in my life and I am no stranger to pain or fighting and I am not scared ****less every time I hear or see bullets flying around me. Nevertheless, I am under no illusion that I need a combat worthy AR-15. If I did, I would absolutely buy a Noveske and stick an ACOG on it. There is a 99.9% chance that the only place any of mine will ever be fired is on the range. That said, my crappy Anderson/BCA 10.5", unbraced, Viridian HS-1 and Romeo 5 equipped 5.56 pistol has my complete confidence should I ever need to defend myself or my family in my home with it. And that sir, is good enough for me. :)

^ So, let's be brutally honest - most of us (especially the newcomers) don't know you from Jim or Jack, but just about everyone knows this guy:

(y)

Back