testtest

Ported Barrels: Are They Worth the Effort?

When I bought my Sig P365, about a year or so later they came out with the Spectra ported version. Almost seems gimmicky for a short barrel EDC.
I think it would take a significant reduction in muzzle flip (9mm) to get me to buy into this modification or paying extra for the feature.

I’d like to see some scientific and mechanical demonstration using meters to measure those claims of reduced muzzle flip. Stuff that likely existsin manufacturing labs. Put a handgun securely into a contraption, mechanical arm pulls the trigger, meters calculate the all those specific claims. Just because a manufacturer promotes a claim, they should demonstrated how they determined such.

Realizing this article is one persons review on ported slides, it has to be taken as just that…an experienced shooters opinion. Would the novice be able to make a determination? If a muzzle flips 1 inch in my hand, will that ported slide reduce that down to 1/4 inch?

Depending on results by human demonstration, these are subject to so many factors that certainly differ greatly person to person. So it would be that if human trials are conducted, it should be done blindfolded - with the assistance of another, or in such a manner where the shooter doesn’t know exactly what’s being tested so there’s no mental interference of what could or should be expected.

I seen a experiment where taste-testers were fooled into thinking something was not what it was simply by closing one of the senses and then sampling food to determine differences.

Am I…
Overthinking, yes.
Worth my trouble or expense, No.

I have an older Glock 20C that has compensator slits at the top of its slide as well as special “V” design front sights.
20C.JPG

I used to think that, until I tried a ported Performance Center Shield side by side with a standard.

My splits were noticeably faster with the ported model…

There is something to it.
Agree 100%, the Performance Center 5" M&P with ported barrel behaves a little bit better. When through the same LEO course with a standard M&P and the ported one and scored a little better with the ported one... $100 extra for the coolness factor is a small drop in the ocean :LOL:

11833-pc-OnWhite-3Q-Left__55647.png

It is an absolute beatch to clean these ports, and they get dirty, very dirty!

Agree 100%, the Performance Center 5" M&P with ported barrel behaves a little bit better. When through the same LEO course with a standard M&P and the ported one and scored a little better with the ported one... $100 extra for the coolness factor is a small drop in the ocean :LOL:

View attachment 37441

The draw to PC model for me was the upgraded sights not the ported barrel. I’ve shot a standard Shield .40 and my PC Shield .40 back to back and I couldn’t tell a difference.

In my experience ported barrels on large revolvers help. Ported barrels on semi autos make no noticeable difference.
They have been popular on high-end IPSC pistols for a long time. But that's a whole different game.

On small CCW pistols I don't think I'd notice a difference between compensated & non-compensated.

And on my Hellcat I don't think I'd bother putting the $$ into porting it due to its role.

View attachment 37441

Soak the barrel & ports portion of the slide overnight in your choice of cleaner (or, just diesel or gas works, too). It cleans right up.

They have been popular on high-end IPSC pistols for a long time. But that's a whole different game.

On small CCW pistols I don't think I'd notice a difference between compensated & non-compensated.

And on my Hellcat I don't think I'd bother putting the $$ into porting it due to its role.
I was knocking .1-.15 seconds off my splits in the ported Shield.

That’s not nothin’.

Years ago, I had 2 .357's ported, a Python & an S&W L frame, both 4" barrels. I can't really say how much it helped w/o having an unported example to compare side-by-side. One thing I have noticed, when I shoot cast bullets, I get lead build-up on the top of the barrel ahead of the ports, which leads me to believe there is some gas cutting of the bullet base. Whether this affects accuracy to any measurable degree, I don't know. I may not be a good enough shot to tell the difference. Maybe I should load up some identical loads but with poly-coated bullets & experiment. But it will have to wait for warmer weather.
Also I have a Hellcat RPD with the comp on the muzzle. Again, I don't know how much difference it makes. Come spring, I'll try shooting it with & without the comp attached & see if it makes a noticeable (to me) difference.
As far as reduced split times, I can see it making a difference for competitors, but in the real world, as in self defense, I don't see dropping .15 seconds making any practical difference.

This is the first comped pistol I carried. A Colt Officers model with a commander-length comped barrel. The IMI .45 ACP ammo they issued us for years was a bit warmer than the standard ball (for the subguns). The comp allowed you to put rounds on target without the muzzle having any flip so you didn't lose your sight picture. It was the first of many we tried and when we started using suppressed pistol it was even better.
Arch's  45 ACP.jpg

Well done. One note. From my college physics 125 class I remember that the loudness/volume/SPL doubles every increase of 10dB. Now from a power standpoint, it takes 10 times the power (all things being equal) to achieve double the SPL. So, hypothetically, if you achieved 80db with a 10 watt amplifier, you would need to increase the volume 10 dB to 90dB (which would also be twice as loud). An increase of 3dB is called just noticeable difference, or JNB. 6dB is considered a significant increase. I bring this up because you noted an increase in some cases from 105dB to 108-110dB. If my memory serves we well (up to debate) that would mean that scientifically, a port can make a difference that is either "just noticeable" or significant. However, the only time this would really matter is if you were shooting without hearing protection.

It does seem that the increase in SPL from the blast would represent some loss in "power." However, your test results seem to negate that.

Back