testtest

Potent Potables (aka What’s your poison?)

I do enjoy Buffalo Trace, Monkey Shoulder and I think my favorite is Bulleit Whiskey
51900B1C-79F9-408D-9C1D-345212C81470.jpeg

Funny this thread should come back around just now ....... this past Sunday PM I was tested positive for Covid, so there I was with an unexpected quarantine period and because it was unexpected, no preparations.

Well, long about Tuesday as the word was spreading about my predicament, I got a call from an old friend whom I hadn't seen in a couple years. He and his wife were traveling friends of ours when we all had motorhomes. We would do long weekend stuff like music festivals, stock car races, car shows, BBQ comps, etc. How ever many of us there were on any particular weekend, we'd all circle the MH's much like the old pioneers would circle their wagons, build a campfire in the center of the circle and have a really good time all night long.

As usual we all always had a bottle or two of some favorite hootch for most of us to share around. On one particular weekend this friend told all of us he had just been turned on to something new and he really like it, thought it might become his new favorite. So the first night we circled up he broke it out for all of us to give it a shot (no pun intended). I had never heard of the stuff and was a little hesitant to pass on my usual Jack Daniels/Maker's Mark but didn't want to hurt his feelings so I joined in.

I got tell you it wasn't bad, in fact it was surprisingly good. I had never even heard the name before that night but when asked what I thought about it, all I could say was "Damn, that's pretty good stuff ..... might even turn me off my JD/MM." Well everybody laughed knowing how set I am on those two old standby whisk(E)ys.

Anyway, back to the call from the friend ...... he asked how I was doing and if there was anything he could do for me. In almost an effort of jest, I told him hell yeh, bring me a bottle of that stuff you had at the BBQ comp that weekend. We laughed some, talked some, and finally hung up.

About 2 hours later my door bell rang and the wife answered the door. It was a special delivery from the friend. A fancy packaged box of "Grand Marnier". I still can't pronounce it like he does (French style), but it was a real nice surprise. I didn't remember a lot about it except that I didn't care too much for it neat, but with a solid ice cube to swirl around in it, it came across pretty doggone nice.

I don't think it will ever take the place of my Jack/MM, but it could take a spot right along with them on a cold night outside. Bundled up to stay warm on the outside, It could go a long way in keeping one warm on the inside. Even with that solid ice cube swirling around in it. (y)

Funny this thread should come back around just now ....... this past Sunday PM I was tested positive for Covid, so there I was with an unexpected quarantine period and because it was unexpected, no preparations.

Well, long about Tuesday as the word was spreading about my predicament, I got a call from an old friend whom I hadn't seen in a couple years. He and his wife were traveling friends of ours when we all had motorhomes. We would do long weekend stuff like music festivals, stock car races, car shows, BBQ comps, etc. How ever many of us there were on any particular weekend, we'd all circle the MH's much like the old pioneers would circle their wagons, build a campfire in the center of the circle and have a really good time all night long.

As usual we all always had a bottle or two of some favorite hootch for most of us to share around. On one particular weekend this friend told all of us he had just been turned on to something new and he really like it, thought it might become his new favorite. So the first night we circled up he broke it out for all of us to give it a shot (no pun intended). I had never heard of the stuff and was a little hesitant to pass on my usual Jack Daniels/Maker's Mark but didn't want to hurt his feelings so I joined in.

I got tell you it wasn't bad, in fact it was surprisingly good. I had never even heard the name before that night but when asked what I thought about it, all I could say was "Damn, that's pretty good stuff ..... might even turn me off my JD/MM." Well everybody laughed knowing how set I am on those two old standby whisk(E)ys.

Anyway, back to the call from the friend ...... he asked how I was doing and if there was anything he could do for me. In almost an effort of jest, I told him hell yeh, bring me a bottle of that stuff you had at the BBQ comp that weekend. We laughed some, talked some, and finally hung up.

About 2 hours later my door bell rang and the wife answered the door. It was a special delivery from the friend. A fancy packaged box of "Grand Marnier". I still can't pronounce it like he does (French style), but it was a real nice surprise. I didn't remember a lot about it except that I didn't care too much for it neat, but with a solid ice cube to swirl around in it, it came across pretty doggone nice.

I don't think it will ever take the place of my Jack/MM, but it could take a spot right along with them on a cold night outside. Bundled up to stay warm on the outside, It could go a long way in keeping one warm on the inside. Even with that solid ice cube swirling around in it. (y)
My favorite aperitif is Grand Marnier in a snifter, heated for 10 seconds in a microwave. Opens the sinus passageways for sure. GM also kicks up a margarita as a substitute for triple sec (they are both orange liquors), if you can afford it (at $45/bottle last I checked).

Grand Marnier is often used for making crepes, especially at restaurants that also like to set them on fire for show. :D

I like it on my Sunday brunch pancakes ;), sometimes with maple syrup, too!

My favorite aperitif is Grand Marnier in a snifter, heated for 10 seconds in a microwave. Opens the sinus passageways for sure. GM also kicks up a margarita as a substitute for triple sec (they are both orange liquors), if you can afford it (at $45/bottle last I checked).
GM is made with cognac where Cointreau is not. Cointreau is 100% distilled orange. Cognac and lime juice curdle. So adding GM to a fresh made Margarita with lime juice makes the cognac curdle in the drink . 🥴

Frozen cheap margaritas without real lime, not really an issue but the GM is more $ than the rest of the whole drink, so might as well just drink the GM straight.

My doctor would prefer I drink lower carb beers.
Although more pricey, a lot of the German Pilsners are less heavy, lower carb and often fermented to a higher ALC% to leave less residual sugar. Typically drier on the finish, but still pretty flavorful.

That being said, a lot of micro breweries and local brew pubs start pumping out thirst-quenching lower carbs beer this time of year! 🍻

Will the micro brews survive with the impact of inflation on family budgets? Will they be the brews of the elite while the proletariat drink Bud and Bud Lite? Will AOC introduce a bill to subsidize the drinking habits of the poor and oppressed? History is being written as we ponder.
I think you're onto something. Nothing like some marketing to, ahem, push history along.🤔

How about Putin's Proletariat Pivo (beer in Russian пиво) sponsored by AOC? PPP or **** water to the 3rd degree! 😜

Steverino said:

How about Putin's Proletariat Pivo (beer in Russian пиво) sponsored by AOC? PPP or **** water to the 3rd degree! 😜

Are you sure it’s not Trump sponsoring it?

Particularly with the flavor…

A Trump sponsored libation could capitalize on the "deplorables" moniker, but I'm not coming up with anything quite catchy right now to go along with that. 😐 Maybe I've had too much to think!😬

Has anyone tried Pabst Hard Coffee? I hear it is good, but I have not been drinking beer for a while.
I had 1/2 Silver Bullet Sunday, first one in 3 or 4 months. I have switched to drinking Tequila for the most part.
Or Tennessee moonshine.

I've been enjoying a number of local Oktoberfest beers today; one of my favorite beer styles...got me wondering, what do others enjoy?

I will say, the krauts in New Ulm, MN (Schell's Brewery, one of the longest continuously operating breweries in the US) has the Bavarians beat this year...much better than Paulaner or Haaker-Pschorr...
I like the Festbiers and Autumn Bocks. Festbier tends to be lightly sweet with a light to medium body and a bready smooth after taste. Autumn Bocks are very similar with a more sophisticated body and finish due to the bock process: I am partial to double and triple bocks. The barreled types are good but take away from the standar bier flavors which in most cases becomes overpowering. All fall under the umbrella of what you might see at a beir fest.

Has anyone tried Pabst Hard Coffee? I hear it is good, but I have not been drinking beer for a while.
I had 1/2 Silver Bullet Sunday, first one in 3 or 4 months. I have switched to drinking Tequila for the most part.
Or Tennessee moonshine.
Yes Cico7, had it several times. Very good, if you like coffee-flavored chocolate milk. Very sweet, 5% ABV if I remember correctly. Easy to drink very fast (and get you in trouble). Tastes like something for younger drinkers (since it tastes like sweet chocolate milk). I don't buy it, as it is not my thing, but it is interesting.

Yes Cico7, had it several times. Very good, if you like coffee-flavored chocolate milk. Very sweet, 5% ABV if I remember correctly. Easy to drink very fast (and get you in trouble). Tastes like something for younger drinkers (since it tastes like sweet chocolate milk). I don't buy it, as it is not my thing, but it is interesting.
A couple weeks ago I was invited for a drink of "Chocolate Wine". I'm not a wino and never heard of 'chocolate wine' but decided to give it a try. It wasn't bad, in fact better than I expected, but very little taste to it. I only realized the next day or so why it didn't have much taste when I was tested positive for the damned Covid. I promised myself a second round after I'm back in negative testing territory. Should be tomorrow, or maybe even later tonight. We'll see!

Back