testtest

Practice thoughts, considering today's climate and limited ammunition supplies

Peglegjoe

Professional
Founding Member
So, my EDC is my 9mm XDs. Naturally, that is my preferred practice gun. But, rounds are in short supply these days and I don't want to burn through my supply without some chance at restocking.

I also have a .38 revolver. COMPLETELY different animal...but I wouldn't be as worried about running my ammo supply on the .38 nearly as much as the 9mm.

Question is, would practicing on a 70 year old revolver help, or hurt, my skillset if it comes to having to use my EDC? As you can imagine, a 4" .38 revolver shoots completely differently than an XDs...but does sight picture practice and general firing motion, help? Regardless of gun?

I guess I just don't want to "confuse" my muscles by practicing with one weapon, while carrying a completely different one.

Good question, for me I don’t practice with my everyday carry as much as I probably should however I still go to the range on a regular basis to practice stance, trigger discipline and sight acquisition. Right now I’m of the same mindset as you, with limited ammunition supplies I don’t want to shoot what I have and then can’t get more.

I have a few Precharged pneumatic Air rifles and pistols. I have triggers similar to my powder burning pistols and rifles on those, same pull weight and stages. The key to shooting well is practice. I can still get pellets and I fill the rifle and pistol from a 3000 PSI scuba tank. I can fill them over 100 times and the local fire department fills my tanks for free. Pellets in 22 and 25 caliber run about 14 bucks for 500 if I use premium pellets. and 6 bucks if I use Crosman premier domed. They shoot accurately. The target attached ids a 50 yard target shot with my Hatsan .25 cal air rifle.

Attachments

• 22 cal custom PCP repeater.png
    22 cal custom PCP repeater.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
  • AIRMAX MK2.jpeg
    AIRMAX MK2.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 166
  • hatsan 25 cal 967 fps 50 yds.jpg
    hatsan 25 cal 967 fps 50 yds.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 167
  • hatsan rifle 25 cal.jpg
    hatsan rifle 25 cal.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:
I haven't changed much from my normal shooting. I still practice with my carry guns every few trips and have now added my XDm 10mm with light (home defense) to practice sessions. I have also recently acquired a 45 Shield 4" that will be getting extra time with the 10mm. I usually shoot steel but shoot paper on my carry specific days.

Back