testtest

PRECISION RIFLE FOR NEWBIE

Mykbzn

Alpha
Hi,
I would like to purchase a precision rifle but I don't know how to decide. I'm planning to shoot maybe once a month around 600 yards and beyond....
Choices for 6.5 Creedmore:
Thompson LRR (comes with bipod and 4x12 scope)
Ruger Precision
Daniels Defense Delta 5 Pro (is it worth the money)
Tikka t3X TAC A1
Mossberg MVP
Also whats the best scope to pair with it?

Thanks

Everyone here is going to give you a different answer. I guess it depends on how serious you are about it and what your budget is. I am guessing no one is going to have anything bad to say about Daniel Defense. You're probably going to want to spend about the same money on a scope as you do on the rifle. Or more.

My suggestion is not to seek advice on the FB forums. I'm sure some of our resident experts will have some good ideas. My experience and desire on the topic is a BAR in 30-06 or a nice .308 with a $200 3x9x40.

I have an 6.5 RPR and if you're not a NFL line baker it's big & heavy to do anything with it off a bench.

Shoots fine otherwise.

Need more from you on your planned usage. Do you want a bolt or gas gun? Bench or walk-about gun?

Lots of different directions to go & depending on your budget.

My shooting partner shoots F Class competition. He has a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmor and a Savage Mod 12 (?) also in 6.5 Creedmor. He has a Leapold scope on one and a Burris scope on the other. Both are tack drivers. He spent about the same on the scopes as he paid for the rifles.

My long range rifle was built for me by my son. It is a Remington Model 700 in 308 Winchester. The action was blueprinted with a heavy barrel, Jared trigger installed and put in a target stock. The glass is a SWFA Supersniper 16x scope.
The rifle will put three rounds of Black Hills 168 gr bthp in a 3 inch circle at 500Meters if I do my part. I estimate cost of rifle and scope at about $2K.

I have an 6.5 RPR and if you're not a NFL line baker it's big & heavy to do anything with it off a bench.

Shoots fine otherwise.

Need more from you on your planned usage. Do you want a bolt or gas gun? Bench or walk-about gun?

Lots of different directions to go & depending on your budget.
Looking at bolt, bench, seasonal target shooting in a private range (which has 800 yards target). As of now no plans of getting into the game.

I have a few that can “reach out and touch somebody”. RPRs in .308; 6cm; 6.5cm; .338 Lapua
Savage 10 Ashbury Precision 6.5cm
Ruger AR10 SR762 .308
Unfortunately the closest range closest to me has only a 200 yard max target. I may have to build one myself that can test the true distance for these :unsure:

Take a peek at this scope:

Its a decent price and has a great warranty. Ebay has added a money back guaranty so its not such a gamble. I like the reticle.

Looking over your choices I feel like I should ask if you have looked at the Steyr THB? Smoother bolt than a Tikka and excellent fit and finish. Not to mention stupid accurate and half the cost of a Daniel Defense.
My 7.62 elite does great at 1k, Im sure 6.5 would be even better.

Back