testtest

Preparation: The Best Complement to Situational Awareness

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Many people believe the first step to self-protection is purchasing a firearm. While it is important, buying a gun is a singular action and not the whole sum of personal protection.

situational-awareness-scaled.jpg

Many people believe the first step to self-protection is purchasing a firearm. While it is important, buying a gun is a singular action and not the whole sum of personal protection.

situational-awareness-scaled.jpg
A very good article which needs to be discussed often. Many of what was discussed I already do.
Since I drive a large truck I always back into a parking spot if that’s all that’s available, for the most part I take up two spaces so nobody can park in front of or behind the truck.

Not wanting to be “that guy” I don’t take up two spaces in a crowded parking lot so I park in an area that has lots of open spaces around the truck.

I also try to park with a “tree island” on the drivers side so at least one side of the truck is open to a fast entry if the passenger side is blocked by someone parking to close.

Since the truck is tall and with added height due to the light bars I can’t park in 95% of parking garages so I don’t even try and I’m ok with that, if I can’t find a spot on the street I go somewhere else.

Time for my rant……
There is one thing that the article missed on mentioning was locking the doors upon entering your vehicle, although my truck will auto lock the doors at 15mph I don’t wait for that to happen and will immediately lock the doors after getting in before I do anything else.
This is one thing I don’t understand, we’ve all seen the videos of car jackings at intersections and parking lots where the criminal walks up the vehicle and just opens the door??
KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED AT ALL TIMES.
Rant over……

Edit……
My truck was originally programmed to unlock all the doors when the ignition was turned off and key removed, I have changed that setting so none of the doors unlock until the door is opened from the inside, this gives me time to restart the truck and drive away if someone approaches the truck with intent on doing something bad.

Last edited:
Good article, I am lucky that there are few places I go with parking garages. When we shop I drop off and pick up my wife at the door when ever possible and while waiting I am at the way open end of the lot. She calls when she is ready to exit store. When I go in she does the same.

When I do go inside shopping I always exit with a cart if they have them. Keeps my hands free and gives a buffering obstacle between me and someone else Has the added benefit of providing a young fit person a job.

Biggest thing I see and advise is STAYING OFF THE DAMN PHONE. I watch so many people using thier phone and completely oblivious to what is going around them. Women by themselves and kids, anyone under 20 are especially guilty for some reason and they are so vulnerable.

Last edited:
Good article, I am lucky that there are few places I go with parking garages. When we shop I drop off and pick up my wife at the door when ever possible and while waiting I am at the way open end of the lot. She calls when she is ready to exit store. When I go in she does the same.

When I do go inside shopping I always exit with a cart if they have them. Keeps my hands free and gives a buffering obstacle between me and someone else Has the added benefit of providing a young fit person a job.

Biggest thing I see and advise is STAYING OFF THE DAMN PHONE. I watch so many people using thier phone and completely oblivious to what is going around them. Women by themselves and kids, anyone under 20 are especially guilty for some reason and they are so vulnerable.
The phone thing is something I’m constantly on my lady about.
I’ve told her flat out to stay off her phone and keep it in her purse when she drives my truck.

Thanks for the link to the article, Talyn. I have always felt like parking garages are dangerous places with so many places someone can hide. I like to be able to see where I am going. On top of that, parking garages are often located in areas (like downtown) where crime can be somewhat higher.

I searched for the book on Amazon (20 bucks) and read some of the reviews. Interesting.

Back