testtest

Preparing Yourself for a Violent Attack: The Sheriff’s Take

Good article, Anni. Thanks for the link.

As usual, the Sheriff has a good point. It is so easy to become complacent. And, if you think about it, for most of us to go from a relaxed attitude to a "fight of flight" attitude is something that rarely happens. Thinking/planning ahead helps, and, although it is easy to feel like you have the situation under control if you are attacked because you have a concealed weapon, that isn't always the case. I think about that when I read that most law enforcement folks miss a huge percentage of their shots in a gun fight. Although I think I know how I would do, I have never been in that situation and can only hope I can perform, if needed, like I think I can. I think scenario based training would be great for most of us if we have the opportunity.

Good article, Anni. Thanks for the link.

As usual, the Sheriff has a good point. It is so easy to become complacent. And, if you think about it, for most of us to go from a relaxed attitude to a "fight of flight" attitude is something that rarely happens. Thinking/planning ahead helps, and, although it is easy to feel like you have the situation under control if you are attacked because you have a concealed weapon, that isn't always the case. I think about that when I read that most law enforcement folks miss a huge percentage of their shots in a gun fight. Although I think I know how I would do, I have never been in that situation and can only hope I can perform, if needed, like I think I can. I think scenario based training would be great for most of us if we have the opportunity.

Being a guy that knows, trains and works with an inordinate amount of police officers I can tell you that like the general population there are a significant percentage of them that just aren't really gun guys. A club I used to belong to years ago used to allow several different police departments to hold their quals there. We shot against a lot of cops and we outshot the majority of them. A lot of these guys go to the range once a year. For quals.

That's not to say when even a well trained person is suddenly confronted with a violent attack that they will react appropriately. The reason we train is so those reactions are muscle memory. Things you don't have to think about. You don't want to be trying to remember fundamental information in the middle of a violent encounter. You have enough to think about. The fact is that's the best we can do. No one is ever really prepared like Stallone is in the movies.

As always great stuff from the Sheriff.
Situational awareness is paramount.
It is interesting how he brings the physical shape of individual people into perspective, if you’re in good shape you can react faster and with more confidence. Really good article.
Thanks Marvin the Martian.

Back