testtest

Primer pushed in after firing ???

BookemDano

Operator
I'm stumped by what happened yesterday.

2nd round of testing Hornady 75 grain hpbt match bullet with TAC powder.
5.56 with 2.25 col, cci standard primer.
Western Powder lists the max load at 25.8 grains.

I did initial testing last week with 23.8 - 25.3 grains of powder.
I decided to just test 24.6 and 24.7 yesterday.
Primers flattened, not excessive, with minimal cratering.
weighted each load individually & hand primed each.
2825 average velocity w/ 24.7 grains, then this one shot hit 2908 fps and the primer appears pushed in, instead of flushed out to case head.
It was not pierced.

Never seen anything like this before. Anyone have a clue?
 

Attachments

  • 20260930_112436.jpg
    20260930_112436.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 19
I'm stumped by what happened yesterday.

2nd round of testing Hornady 75 grain hpbt match bullet with TAC powder.
5.56 with 2.25 col, cci standard primer.
Western Powder lists the max load at 25.8 grains.

I did initial testing last week with 23.8 - 25.3 grains of powder.
I decided to just test 24.6 and 24.7 yesterday.
Primers flattened, not excessive, with minimal cratering.
weighted each load individually & hand primed each.
2825 average velocity w/ 24.7 grains, then this one shot hit 2908 fps and the primer appears pushed in, instead of flushed out to case head.
It was not pierced.

Never seen anything like this before. Anyone have a clue?
i have only been reloading maybe now about 4 years this month (October???)

pistols only and always "under max charges"

so no, in my limited time/experience, i have not seen that before.
 
I know this can happen when firing vintage military rifles. Read that this happened because original military ammo had “harder” primers that allowed the ammo to fire after long time storage. So since we are brainstorming, perhaps your primers are softer than what’s being used on standard factory ammo. I had this problem when firing my Type 38 Japanese rifles. The primers they used were “harder” than today’s factory ammo.
 
Back
Top