testtest

Primers

cfsi85

Alpha
I was loading .223 brass with 85gr bullet. After the first ten loads I realized I grab small pistol primers instead of small rifle primers. Will the ten .223 rounds with small pistol primers still function properly?

I wouldn't recommend shooting them with the pistol primers.

Below is a method I personally use for removing live primers and should not be taken as instruction or recommendation.

I have safely removed good primers from bad cases by decapping in the press very slowly with proper safety glasses, leather gloves, and hearing protection on. Pulling the bullet and reclaiming the powder and primer means no loss of valuable supplies.

I haven't run into an issue yet decapping good primers for reuse but I won't do it without taking safety precautions.

I wouldn't recommend shooting them with the pistol primers.

Below is a method I personally use for removing live primers and should not be taken as instruction or recommendation.

I have safely removed good primers from bad cases by decapping in the press very slowly with proper safety glasses, leather gloves, and hearing protection on. Pulling the bullet and reclaiming the powder and primer means no loss of valuable supplies.

I haven't run into an issue yet decapping good primers for reuse but I won't do it without taking safety precautions.
i always wondered how some of you guys, removed good primers.

i had an issue, and frankly i cannot recall right now what it was, but instead of trying to remove a "live" primer, i just tossed the shell casing into some water, then later, remove as usual.

sure, i lost a perfectly good primer and at today's prices, but that's on me, since i never asked how to do a removal of a live one.

No problem to shoot them unless they are Remington primers which are not recommended. Many in my circle use small pistol and small rifle primers interchangeably for handgun ammo in this era of scarcity. Test what you have and then decide if you wish to continue using them.

I agree with youngolddude, there is no reason to pull them, just run them through your rifle/pistol. Small pistol primers are not as hot as small rifle, so I would anticipate the only difference you may see will be in the ballistics (more erratic velocity/standard deviation, etc.), but if you’re not going to run them over a chronograph, it shouldn’t make any difference.

Not from my personal knowledge about interchangeabilities, but only from what other stated with about this. Don't quote me, it's ok to use spp and srp in either, but don't use lrp in lpp cases. Don't interchange smpp and smrp also. When setting up reload time check, recheck and double check. You can never be to safe! Remove distractions before starting! I have used in not accordance with load manuals different primers (brand and type). If you already have a known load you are using and alter it in any way, just backoff 10% and work back up!

You may very well experience a pierced or blown primer with hot gas and particles to the face. Small pistol primers although the same dimensions as small rifle are not as thick and often can’t take the pressure of a rifle round like the .223. I would recommend pulling bullets and reclaiming components. If you do fire them don’t skip the eye protection.

My earlier caution about Remington primers is due to the cup thickness. The other brands should be ok. I always wear eye protection and should be a no brainer.

You're only talking about 10 primers, not 10 thousand. Why even take the chance. Pull the bullet, soak the case/primer, then punch it out as usual. No fuss, no muss!

Just sayin! jj

Back