testtest

Probably a Stupid Question About 1911 Magazines...

PaulieDC

Elite
So I purchased (more like invested) in 4 Wilson Combat magazines for my 1911 Range Officer, and I got the 7+1 because I don't know any better and that's what the 1911 shipped with. So Bill offers 8+1 magazines... should I have gotten those? If it can hold an extra round, why even make a 7+1? Does it simply stick out a bit further, or is that a design for certain types of 1911's?

So I purchased (more like invested) in 4 Wilson Combat magazines for my 1911 Range Officer, and I got the 7+1 because I don't know any better and that's what the 1911 shipped with. So Bill offers 8+1 magazines... should I have gotten those? If it can hold an extra round, why even make a 7+1? Does it simply stick out a bit further, or is that a design for certain types of 1911's?
It just protrudes out the bottom of the grip a tiny bit. And they are awesome. By they I mean Wilson Combat 1911 mags. Best mags made if you ask me. Not sure I would worry about the extra round, but going forward if I were you I would buy 8 round mags.

Totally agree here. The 7s are fine, but now you know there are 8s you won’t sleep until you invest in a couple! Honestly, I sometime do a count of all my mags and I’m like How the heck did I get all these mags? That’s how.

See that black bit hanging down from the grip. That’s what gets you the extra round. It’s also easier to slap your mag in than the flush mags, IMO. Mine is an RO as well.

95D27B50-3E42-41B1-95E5-D1E33F1D0A70.jpeg

Paulie: I agree with BassBob and Simon above. You won’t go wrong with the Wilson mags - although my less expensive Mec-Gars (also 8 rounders) have served me flawlessly.
Only thing I’ll add is that if a mag doesn’t ‘eject’ properly when u hit the mag release, the 8’s with that extension might be easier to grasp and yank out.in a hurry. It’s just a bit more length.
As an aside, the “+1” moniker is pointless: the 7 or 8 is the full capacity of the mag. I suspect that all started as an advertising gimmick, and now no one wants to not say it. It simply means a chambered round, duh 🙄 !

You can sometimes catch the WC 8 rounders on sale on Primary Arms for $28/ea

You've actually worn one out ?
IMO, they come weak right out of the box, and then go down hill from there.

I've sent mags into Wilson for replacement (they did FOC) for the sealed versions, and swapped springs out for the replaceable ones.

Of all the mags I use Wilson's have the weakest springs right of the box. The rest of them are nice.

I've gone to Chip McCormick mags as my primary mags for self-defense in the .45 1911.

As an aside, the “+1” moniker is pointless: the 7 or 8 is the full capacity of the mag. I suspect that all started as an advertising gimmick, and now no one wants to not say it. It simply means a chambered round, duh 🙄 !
Great info. It's just like the video lie in advertising these days... video was ALWAYS measured vertically (240, 480) then 720 and 1080 vertical lines hit and voila, we have HD, specifically 1920x1080HD. Somewhere some goofball marketer decided that when the video capability doubled to 3840x2160, this was called 4K video. Nonsense, it's 2K video. Too late now, the name is here to stay and it's wrong.

Whew! Just had to get that off my chest. :LOL:

Back