testtest

Process Your Own Deer Part 2—Butchering

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
There are literally endless options for how to divide and conquer a deer carcass, and there is no right or wrong way.

Process Your Own Deer Part 2—Butchering

1607641299327.png

I won't usually argue with any other hunter and the way he works his venison, but in this set of pictures I've got a couple comments.

In pics 2-6, that's not a tenderloin as described. That is a good example of 'back strap'. There are 2 on every deer and lie along each side of the spine from the hip to the shoulder. On a pig these parts would be where the 'loin back' or 'baby back' ribs are located. The 'tenderloin' on a deer is located inside the carcass underneath the pelvic bone of the animal and usually about 1/4 the size of the 'back strap'. Typically the very most tender portion of meat on the animal due to it being the muscle doing the very least amount of work throughout the life of the animal. I've been told the only time an animal uses the tenderloin muscle is when he's actually taking a step backwards. I can't swear to that, but it sorta' makes sense. Generally to get to them (one on each side) the animal is usually gutted/field dressed and opened out. Once a small crosscut is made at the front end of the tenderloin, the rest of the muscle can be literally pulled out by working your fingers up and under the muscle and lifting/pulling.

In pics 7-12, it's shown dealing with a hind quarter. And those cuts in my opinion are right on for the best recovery of usable meat. And in pic #9 especially, that's one fine specimen of deer. My guess is it must be a pretty good Mulie or a very far northern White tailed deer. Other than that my guess would be it's a foreign specimen either taken on a long distance hunt, or a home grown foreign variety. But that's as good a hind quarter as I've seen in a long, long time.

Oh yeh, and when it's all said and done, those 'back strap' steaks (we typically call them medallions down here) sure look good. My preference for those are simply a cast iron skillet with rocket hot oil or grease, lay them in the hot stuff for just a few minutes, flip 'em once, and they're done. I used to fry up a bunch around camp before we actually cooked a good supper, and the guys would pick one up and eat it right out of hand. Those more refined of our hunting group would sometimes wrap them in a slice of plain white bread and hold them with their little pinky stretched out. LOL! LOL! Much like eating on a moon pie or other big cookie. Actually only one in the group would hold his pinky out, but that was only because he never knew where his hands had been. (y) (y) :):);)

Back