testtest

Prodigy Disconnector hanging up slide Dissertation

So I am in no way saying this is the fix for everyone, but several people, youtubers and others, have posted that they had burs on their mag feed lips. They posted vids and pics showing the rough feed lips and actually showing how they cut grooves into the brass casings.

After smoothing them out, they no longer had failures.

I checked mine and they're completely smooth, and I haven't had any issues at all with 300rds through it so far.

Again, -not- saying it's the cause of all the issues, but I'd be curious if someone here who has issues took a look to see if their mags feed lips are smooth or have rough edges.

Just to chime in again on this subject, I am at about 5-600 rounds deep into my 5"Prodigy and am still confused on what's making the slide stick, not chamber, and sometimes not eject a spent round. I went through 4 (20) round mags just fine with no problems but the 17 round which does have some rough spots on the right side of the feed lips still hiccups a lot. I even tried a Staccato 20 round mag and although only 1 hiccup still had a hiccup and the feed lips were smooth as could be. I guess my next step will be taking apart the 17 round mag, smoothing the feed lips, and keep shooting, cleaning and lubing the gun. I also have a 26 round mag coming in the mail and hopefully that will work fine. My 20 rounder works fine now so that's the great news. I may put in a 12 lb. Wilson Combat Spring but the fact that the 9 lb. stock spring it works fine with the 20 round mag and that it's what Springfield intended for this set up makes me want to keep it in until absoloutely necessary to change. It is interesting to read all the different experiences and ideas for fixes and I am certainly open to suggestion. I think this will be a great gun once I get it completely dialed in.

Just to chime in again on this subject, I am at about 5-600 rounds deep into my 5"Prodigy and am still confused on what's making the slide stick, not chamber, and sometimes not eject a spent round. I went through 4 (20) round mags just fine with no problems but the 17 round which does have some rough spots on the right side of the feed lips still hiccups a lot. I even tried a Staccato 20 round mag and although only 1 hiccup still had a hiccup and the feed lips were smooth as could be. I guess my next step will be taking apart the 17 round mag, smoothing the feed lips, and keep shooting, cleaning and lubing the gun. I also have a 26 round mag coming in the mail and hopefully that will work fine. My 20 rounder works fine now so that's the great news. I may put in a 12 lb. Wilson Combat Spring but the fact that the 9 lb. stock spring it works fine with the 20 round mag and that it's what Springfield intended for this set up makes me want to keep it in until absoloutely necessary to change. It is interesting to read all the different experiences and ideas for fixes and I am certainly open to suggestion. I think this will be a great gun once I get it completely dialed in.
It is possible that Springfield used a 9lb spring Ia to make a heavy slide easy to rack. I would try a 12lb spring. They are cheap and easy to swap back if you don’t see the benefit.

I did all the above as well as checked the extractor tension, cleaned and measured the mags. During racking, feeding snap caps, dry fire etc I decided to up the rate from 12 in my 4.25 to 14. I try to get all my guns to close at the same rate because of my OCD lol. Did I need to? I don't know, but my first session was 364 rounds of all types and everything fed great. Had 1 stove pipe on a hot NATO round in the next to last shell in the stock 17 round mag that is out of spec but I may have limp wristed as well. I fired the rest of that lot of ammo with other mags and no issues.

I use the Bill Wilson test for spring weight after break in. Run the strongest spring that will lock back the slide with a weak grip in your weak hand with 1 round in the magazine. I have the following 9mm Commander recoil springs on hand stock and Wolfe 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16.

I have been dry firing and racking everyday and it is super slick and the trigger is now almost where I want it. If it doesn't get there after tomorrow's session I will look at sear spring adjustments.

That looks nice. I'll start with the 12 lb. spring I have ready to go and sand the feed lips of my 17 round mag and see how that goes. My 20 rounder got through 80 rounds with not 1 hiccup the other afternoon and this is all after 5-600 rounds so I feel like I am getting somewhere. Had 1 ftf with 1 Staccato mag and several still with the 17 round Duramag which does have chips in the Cerakote on the right side lip.

Nice !!! I just put abother 250+ rounds through my 5" and it seems a lot better after putting a 12 lb. recoil spring in mine as well. I also sanded down the feed lips on the 17 rounder. Only 2 or 3 failures to eject and all of them were with Winchester 100 round Value Pack target ammo 115 grain. I compared the length of this round to a PMC, Remington, and Blazer of the same type and I noticed the tip does look just a touch longer so I think that had something to do with it. No problems at all with the other 3 brands. I'm at about 850 rounds total now and I think it's a great gun. I got my Dragonfly on it today as well as an Olight Baldr Pro R and had some really nice, tight shot groupings with each after I got each of them dialed in. This is going to be a really nice set up. I guess as long as I stay away from Winchester. The next step for me would probably be gunsmithing or sending it back to Springfield if anything else goes wrong because I don't know how to do anything more than field strip a gun. Real nice pistol though. I love the feel of it and ability to stay on target. Can't wait to get my 26 rounder delivered in the mail !!!!

I did tighten up my extractor tension due to acceptable, but weaker than preferred ejection. I added quite a bit, and in my opinion it could use a touch more. But I have it pretty much maxed and this point with more bending giving me no more tension. Consistency it excellent with all rounds landing withing inches of each other. Tolerance stacking on a production gun.

I am now going to start working on the trigger a little bit. Super crisp but it still feels too heavy. My new digital gauge will be here today so will see where it is. But as of now it is the heaviest trigger on any of my pistols and heavier than even my 365X and XL.

Generally a light polish and a sear spring tweak will drop it to where it needs to be. If not, I may go wild and send it off to Atlas and let them install a full trigger kit, extractor, ejector, walled safeties, and do a full tune.

Back