testtest

Prodigy DS - Aftermarket Thread

Hammer67

Professional
I figured it would be useful to break this topic out from the other ongoing Prodigy threads that focus more on the gun itself and its performance. I'm guessing we're going to start seeing more and more aftermarket options for the Prodigy in the coming months. Let's try to keep this one focused just on aftermarket releases, and experiences with those options.

For starters, 10-8 offers several upgrades that are worth bringing people's attention to:

Staccato mags work with the Prodigy, and people have been reporting good results with these. I haven't tried them yet, as my OEM mags have all worked just fine.

Nighthawk DTS (drop-in trigger system). it’s really for any 1911/2011. I have one on order and will post a before /after comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpeg
    IMG_0154.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 82
Nighthawk DTS (drop-in trigger system). it’s really for any 1911/2011. I have one on order and will post a before /after comparison.
Don’t take this as snarky…
I’m curious how that compares to a half price EGW ignition upgrade kit.
I also wonder if it’ll let you drop the trigger pull poundage or if it’s set. As is, it claims 3.75 to 4lbs after break in.
With EGW kit mine is sub 2.5#, crisp and clean.
Everything I put in place w/ EGW was drop in except the sear spring, I adjusted it to my liking for roughly 20 to 30 minutes.

Guide rod is a definite must have. Not sure about the rest just. Haven't gotten enough rounds through mine to determine that quite yet.

I just put about 100 to 150 rounds through my Prodigy with a new Atlas tool less guide rod.
I’ve read other posts about having issues with it.. it seems to be with +p or hotter ammo.
I shoot 124gr reloads with a PF of 130…. Zero issues, and it sure was damn nice to break down and wipe down when done.
I keep the stocker in the bag, just in case, but no issues today.

Don’t take this as snarky…
I’m curious how that compares to a half price EGW ignition upgrade kit.
I also wonder if it’ll let you drop the trigger pull poundage or if it’s set. As is, it claims 3.75 to 4lbs after break in.
With EGW kit mine is sub 2.5#, crisp and clean.
Everything I put in place w/ EGW was drop in except the sear spring, I adjusted it to my liking for roughly 20 to 30 minutes.
I don’t take it as snarky at all. It’s a very legit question. Not sure I’m 100% comfortable adjusting a sear spring. To send to a smith to have the EGW kit installed would bring the cost of the EGW kit at or above the DTS not to mention the wait for a smith to do the work. I’m sure I could mange the sear spring but imagine it would take a lot of trial and error and many trips to the range.

I don’t take it as snarky at all. It’s a very legit question. Not sure I’m 100% comfortable adjusting a sear spring. To send to a smith to have the EGW kit installed would bring the cost of the EGW kit at or above the DTS not to mention the wait for a smith to do the work. I’m sure I could mange the sear spring but imagine it would take a lot of trial and error and many trips to the range.
I used to think the same thing.
Until I did it.

Within 20 to 30 minutes an a youtube video or two, you could do the whole EGW kit.
With the sear spring adjustment, another video, a very good one from Atlas on how to adjust and what to look for…you could do that one too… even show you how to to do safety check.
It’ll show you how to adjust, how to check, how to readjust…then dry fire it a good 5 to 10 times to let it settle.

Look at the other side, you send it out…they do it, you don’t like it. Then what?

Minimal tools, like a few small punches and a soft side mallet, hammer… literally all you need.
I used to think basic work like this as voodoo or magic, it’s not.
Sure, there’s a great craft when it comes to custom pistols that are hand fit.. this is not that :)

I used to think the same thing.
Until I did it.

Within 20 to 30 minutes an a youtube video or two, you could do the whole EGW kit.
With the sear spring adjustment, another video, a very good one from Atlas on how to adjust and what to look for…you could do that one too… even show you how to to do safety check.
It’ll show you how to adjust, how to check, how to readjust…then dry fire it a good 5 to 10 times to let it settle.

Look at the other side, you send it out…they do it, you don’t like it. Then what?

Minimal tools, like a few small punches and a soft side mallet, hammer… literally all you need.
I used to think basic work like this as voodoo or magic, it’s not.
Sure, there’s a great craft when it comes to custom pistols that are hand fit.. this is not that :)
The EGW kit was my first choice but it has been out of stock so I thought I’d give the nighthawk DTS a try. I read a post saying it cut the Prodigy trigger weight in half. I figure if the DTS doesn’t work I’ll give the EGW kit a try.

Looking forward to how you like it. My Prodigy out of the box came in…if I remember…between 4.5 and 5lbs.
From what I read, the DTS goes 3.75 to 4#.
I’ve yet to see that EGW out of stock. The kit with the 17# mainspring was out of stock, I simply bought the kit then added a 17# mainspring for a few bucks.
Either way, looking forward to seeing how you like it!

All I’ve done was the Atlas tool-less guide rod so far. Having never worked on 1911s, I actually bought the Prodigy to practice on before touching my Staccatos but I didn’t want to mess up the Prodigy, so I bought a cheap Tisas to practice on. Lol.

Swapped in a WC flat trigger, egw ball head disconnector and egw sear spring. Tweaked the sear spring by watching an Atlas video and got the factory 4.5# trigger down to a smooth 3# with crisp break. Ready to try on 1911ds/2011 now.

The Tisas is actually pretty nice.

All I’ve done was the Atlas tool-less guide rod so far. Having never worked on 1911s, I actually bought the Prodigy to practice on before touching my Staccatos but I didn’t want to mess up the Prodigy, so I bought a cheap Tisas to practice on. Lol.

Swapped in a WC flat trigger, egw ball head disconnector and egw sear spring. Tweaked the sear spring by watching an Atlas video and got the factory 4.5# trigger down to a smooth 3# with crisp break. Ready to try on 1911ds/2011 now.

The Tisas is actually pretty nice.
Well done. Followed a similar path, I just skipped the Tisas. I agree, I’ve handled a few at my LGS…they are actually nice pistols especially considering the price point, they had better aesthetics and better build quality than several big name company pistols at a much hither price point.

I did. My trigger pull tests consistently in the 2lb range. With a Wheeler digital gauge. This is a lot less than what Nighthawk advertises, but consistent with posts I’ve read with claims of 50% reduction in trigger pull. I can’t discount the possibility that I could just be using the gauge in correctly, but this the reading I’m getting

Back