testtest

Prodigy issues

364 Rounds today only 1 malfunction. I stove pipe with the nato round that was on me for a limp wrist after 300 rounds. Shot great. 25 yards just shooting leisurely to 7 yards just clicking off shots to 5 yards with several different loads. This gun is a keeper for sure.

Attachments

• 20220913_134917.jpg
    20220913_134917.jpg
    974.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220913_132053.jpg
    20220913_132053.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • 20220913_131420.jpg
    20220913_131420.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 103
  • 20220913_131443.jpg
    20220913_131443.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • 20220913_132300.jpg
    20220913_132300.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • 20220913_132246.jpg
    20220913_132246.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
Some initial impressions. Wish the trigger was lighter. That will have to be addressed in the future. The hammer spring is very very heavy. Very difficult to cock with your thumb and often slips off. Guessing that was to counteract the very light recoil spring. Top plate came loose and the manual said use the included T10 key. Well mine was not included. Lol.

The 14lb recoil spring was the right call for break in.

The take down lever is in pretty tight and the plunger spring is very stout complicating field stripping. The 2 piece guide rod is really a non issue and simple to deal with.

Was very impressed with the accuracy considering the trigger weight. It has to be near 6lbs. My new trigger gauge will be here soon and will get some measurements.

It shot everything except that Grind Ammo Junk very well. Overall a very solid platform. No buyers remorse at all here. Very satisfied.

Some initial impressions. Wish the trigger was lighter. That will have to be addressed in the future. The hammer spring is very very heavy. Very difficult to cock with your thumb and often slips off. Guessing that was to counteract the very light recoil spring. Top plate came loose and the manual said use the included T10 key. Well mine was not included. Lol.

The take down lever is in pretty tight and the plunger spring is very stout complicating field stripping. The 2 piece guide rod is really a non issue and simple to deal with.

Was very impressed with the accuracy considering the trigger weight. It has to be near 6lbs. My new trigger gauge will be here soon and will get some measurements.

It shot everything except that Grind Ammo Junk very well. Overall a very solid platform. No buyers remorse at all here. Very satisfied.
Glad you like yours.

Loving mine - I noticed that I did not get a T10 key in my box either!

It’s interesting how different everyone’s experience is. I did get a T10 wrench and I’m not sharing!😎. My trigger is very smooth and very light and currently measures with my Wheeler Digital gauge at 3lbs. The takedown lever is very easy to get out and in and the gun strips down easily. My new Ronin on the other hand has a nightmare plunger and I had to file a notch in the takedown lever so I wouldn’t put an idiot scratch in it. Bottom line: we:re digging the Prodigy!

I don’t know what happened in the post above - so here it is again.

It’s interesting how different everyone’s experience is. I did get a T10 wrench and I’m not sharing!😎. My trigger is very smooth and very light and currently measures with my Wheeler Digital gauge at 3lbs. The takedown lever is very easy to get out and in and the gun strips down easily. My new Ronin on the other hand has a nightmare plunger and I had to file a notch in the takedown lever so I wouldn’t put an idiot scratch in it. Bottom line: we:re digging the Prodigy!

I don’t know what happened in the post above - so here it is again.

That’s cool glad you are enjoying it I don’t think I remember a newly introduced gun being so popular and so many people having it Springfield must of done pretty good job on the inventory of the prodigy. I lots of people have this and it just got introduced

Top plate came loose and the manual said use the included T10 key. Well mine was not included. Lol.
Thanks for the reminder - I'm headed to the range again tomorrow morning, so I just went and checked and both screws on my top plate were loose as well. Put a dab of blue Loctite on them and tightened them down to hold me over until the RMR plate arrives. 🤞

That’s cool glad you are enjoying it I don’t think I remember a newly introduced gun being so popular and so many people having it Springfield must of done pretty good job on the inventory of the prodigy. I lots of people have this and it just got introduced
Yeah, I'm pretty impressed that Springfield had these available at multiple dealers on the day they were announced, plus spare mags, holsters, etc. Well done.

So I took it out today and put 100 rounds through it. The first magazine of 17 went smooth. I thought I must be crazy if I thought I’d have nothing but failures. Through the next 83 rounds it failed to go into battery 21 times. I’m extremely disappointed that Springfield put this gun out with its hefty price tag and called it the prodigy.

So I took it out today and put 100 rounds through it. The first magazine of 17 went smooth. I thought I must be crazy if I thought I’d have nothing but failures. Through the next 83 rounds it failed to go into battery 21 times. I’m extremely disappointed that Springfield put this gun out with its hefty price tag and called it the prodigy.
Can you provide any more details? I.e - did it seem to be hanging up on the disconnector? Were you still using the same 17 round magazine? What kind of ammo were you using? Did you do a thorough cleaning and lube before taking the gun to the range?

Have you tried a higher power recoil spring yet? Seriously. These are tight guns. Heck a Glock 19 which is looser than Biden's sphincter runs an 18lb spring. If you have a 5 inch gun your spring is a 9. That just won't work. Don't know what they were thinking. Several guys are running 12s and 13s now and having no issues with the 5 inch guns.

So a little bit of a bummer update - that WC recoil spring I bought doesn't fit with the stock 2-piece recoil rod in the Prodigy, which seems to be a slightly larger diameter than a traditional 1911 guide rod. Not a big deal though, as I haven't had any issues so far with the #12 spring anyway. But I may convert it to a standard GI recoil rod/spring setup with the plug from 10-8 Performance one of these days. In the meantime, I'll just keep shooting it... ;)

Can you provide any more details? I.e - did it seem to be hanging up on the disconnector? Were you still using the same 17 round magazine? What kind of ammo were you using? Did you do a thorough cleaning and lube before taking the gun to the range?
I was using Winchester 115 gr, alternated between the 17 and 20 round mag. Cleaned and lubed it three times before I ever fired it. It seems that once it makes contact with the disconnector, it just didn’t have the strength to push in that next round

Have you tried a higher power recoil spring yet? Seriously. These are tight guns. Heck a Glock 19 which is looser than Biden's sphincter runs an 18lb spring. If you have a 5 inch gun your spring is a 9. That just won't work. Don't know what they were thinking. Several guys are running 12s and 13s now and having no issues with the 5 inch guns.
I agree that the spring just doesn’t have enough ass to continue to push the rounds in. I think that may be the biggest part of the problem and yes I do have the 5 inch barrel.

I was using Winchester 115 gr, alternated between the 17 and 20 round mag. Cleaned and lubed it three times before I ever fired it. It seems that once it makes contact with the disconnector, it just didn’t have the strength to push in that next round
Ok, that's helpful, thanks. As @Sol-Invictus and others have mentioned, stepping up in recoil spring weight should help. Seems to be more of an issue with the Government version.

All of this is making me want to test my spring to see if I really do have a 9lb in my 5".

300rds in and no issues, goes into battery really quick and snappy, not nearly as slow as some of the vids I've seen of others 5".

Does anyone with an issue on the 5" have a short vid of their slide going into battery? I'll take one of mine and compare.

Finally got to shoot my Prodigy 5inch barrel. Before shooting I cleaned the entire thing, oiled it and racked the slide a bunch since I gotten it. Seems like a lot of people recommend that on Youtube.

Went through 250 rounds of PMC Bronze 124 grain. 0 issues. Shot like a dream. I couldn't believe how nice it shot. Only issue I had was powder reside getting Hex Dragonfly dirty. Had to clean it towards the end. I haven't had that issues with any of my pistols with red dot.

We shall see as I continue to shoot it. Maybe I will also face issues. Hope not.

All of this is making me want to test my spring to see if I really do have a 9lb in my 5".

300rds in and no issues, goes into battery really quick and snappy, not nearly as slow as some of the vids I've seen of others 5".

Does anyone with an issue on the 5" have a short vid of their slide going into battery? I'll take one of mine and compare.
I wasn’t having any problems with the 9lb spring either. I just happened to have a spare set of springs so I stuck in the 12, which is definitely more lively.

Finally got to shoot my Prodigy 5inch barrel. Before shooting I cleaned the entire thing, oiled it and racked the slide a bunch since I gotten it. Seems like a lot of people recommend that on Youtube.

Went through 250 rounds of PMC Bronze 124 grain. 0 issues. Shot like a dream. I couldn't believe how nice it shot. Only issue I had was powder reside getting Hex Dragonfly dirty. Had to clean it towards the end. I haven't had that issues with any of my pistols with red dot.

We shall see as I continue to shoot it. Maybe I will also face issues. Hope not.
just to add to this, I didn't do any modifications. Everything is stock. I didn't mess with the magazine. I didn't do anything but clean and oil the gun. Rack the slide bunch of times and dry fire it before going to the range. I did order a 12lb spring just to see the difference. I will report back after it gets in and I get to shoot it.

Back